Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2019, 11:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Water Accumulator in View 24D

Has anyone installed a fresh water accumulator in a Winnebago View (or Navion) 24D ??

I know how to install it and understand the benefits, I'm just unsure where to put it. The one I bought is 8" in diameter and 14" high. It seems the only two possible locations are under the kitchen sink or under the bathroom sink. Any thoughts on which might be the better location?

Thanks...
Old 02-18-2019, 12:14 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

We just installed one in our View 24G and it fit perfectly connected directly to the water pump which on ours is under a panel on the right side of the bed.

We have had them installed in other brands of RVs and always connected directly to the water pump. Not that it can't be installed in other locations.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the quick reply. Placing the accumulator immediately downstream of the water pump (high pressure side) is the ideal location for it. Unfortunately in the "24D" with the murphy bed over couch, the water pump is under the couch and there's only 5.5" of space adjacent to the pump, so not enough room to put the accumulator horizontally, never mind vertically which I would prefer.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:10 PM   #4
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadCrafters View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. Placing the accumulator immediately downstream of the water pump (high pressure side) is the ideal location for it. Unfortunately in the "24D" with the murphy bed over couch, the water pump is under the couch and there's only 5.5" of space adjacent to the pump, so not enough room to put the accumulator horizontally, never mind vertically which I would prefer.
Any chance it could be mounted vertically under the rear dinette seat? Would take some piping from the pump, but that’s close. Avoiding the bed folding mechanism would be important, of course. Just a thought.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Under the rear dinette seat is an excellent idea and one that I hadn't thought of. This is why we ask questions on this forum! Would require a little inventive plumbing,. but that's not insurmountable. Stay tuned... I'll do some measuring. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have read many things on this site and others but this is the first I have heard of a "Water accumulator".

What is it and what is it's purpose???

Googled it....I have a 2019 NavionD. I have a tankless water heater in my unit. I just don't see a need for more pressure as the tankless and water pump produce plenty of pressure and maintain it. Do you have a particular something you need the pressure for?
Old 02-19-2019, 08:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

If you are adding the accumulator because your water pump is cycling on and off when not connected to city water then you have a slow leak somewhere in your water plumbing. Possible but less likely is that the check valve in the water pump is not working perfectly. The accumulator will make it cycle less often but won't fix the real problem.

The Shurflow accumulator does not have to be mounted vertical, any orientation is fine.

If you have a flow issue, then check the strainer in the water pump inlet, it can reduce flow if it has debis on its screen. Also the strainers on the bath and kitchen faucets.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I'm going to have to do more research because that's exactly why I want to install it - to stop the pump from cycling. I have a tankless water heater and the pump does cycle after every toilet flush, even quick "dumps". This is very annoying at night and others with a 24D have commented wrt this product on Amazon the accumulator will stop the pump from cycling as much.
I have checked the system as extensively as I can and found no leak. FYI it can sit pressurized for the full day and the pump will never come on if we don't use any water. The instant we use "any" water, the pump kicks on. IMHO it would therefore have to be an incredibly slow leak for the pump not to come on and as such wouldn't play a role if the toilet's flushed 5 min apart. It could be the pump pressure switch or check valve is somehow kaput.

There is no problem with flow. Thanks for the guidance.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:21 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I have a 24 oz. Sureflow accumulator on my Vista and that size does not stop the pump from running when I flush the toilet. I installed it so that my water worked better when running a tap or shower at low flow rates. With the 24 oz. accumulator the pump comes on after I draw about 1/8 cup water.

Maybe you will have better luck with the bigger one you are installing. The 24 oz. is small and would fit in your water pump space if you have a 5" x 5" space available. Sold on Amazon for $ 35.

You might consider having a 1/2 or 1 gallon milk jug size container of water and using that to flush and wash hands at night to avoid having the pump run.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:33 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I have mentioned this in another post somewhere about constant "cycling". You say you have a tankless water heater. ONE of the benefits of this system in our RV's is that you will not waste water waiting on hot to show up at the faucet. In order for this to occur there has to be a constant cycling of hot water through the system. That means the pump IN THE WATER HEATER will cycle on and off to accomplish this. The control knob for the tankless has two positions for normal use. One is constantly on, which will cycle the pump according to the temperature outside impacting the temperature of the hot water in the system. Colder it is outside, the more often the pump will cycle. There is a position that will cycle ONLY when the water temp goes below 41degrees I think is what I read. At night, either turn it off or put it on the conserve mode if it is freezing outside. The last person with this issue reported this was indeed his problem as he found no leaks anywhere.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:46 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Ok.... this has been very informative. After calls to the Lichtsinn service advisor and the Winnebago technical support hotline, this is what I have learned. The 24D fresh water system is exactly the same as every other View on the "cold water side" of the system. The tankless water heater does maintain pressure on the hot side of the water heater through a check valve, but does not do anything on the cold water side. Because the toilet is on the cold water side, a water accumulator will prevent the pump from cycling when the toilet is flushed.

They don't install these at the factory so they are hesitant to "recommend" them but both tech's said they "believed" it would help my problem with the pump cycling. In any event, they said it won't hurt, (provided none of the connections leak). One other point they both indicated was while the TWH maintains pressure on the hot water side when cold water is used, it is not a "buffer" (there's no pressurized bladder), so when hot water is called for, the pump will cycle. He suggested the accumulator may help on the hot water side as well. We talked through how the system is operating now and the Winnebago tech said it sounds like it's unlikely there's an issue with the check valve or pressure switch at the pump.

FYI, some of the video's on YouTube show when using water from the kitchen faucet, an improvement of 2 sec to almost 8 sec before the pump kicks in. With that in mind, for the $50 it's going to cost me to put it in, I'm going to give it a try and see if improves the situation.

Thanks everyone for the great guidance. If I've missed anything or have anything wrong, please let me know.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:09 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

having installed MANY tankless water heaters in residences I have a pretty good understanding of how they work. I don't see how anything on the cold side other than lack of water period would impact the TWH. There is a small tank on the tankless unit. This allows for a small supply of hot water to be available "on demand" the heater will catch up to demand while using this small supply. It is also where the water cycles through when that re circulation pump comes on. If your cold water pump cycles because of the toilet, I have no idea what that could be. There is no "automatic" valve like in a residential toilet so if the water you keep in the bowl leaks out it has no way to tell the pump to replace it. The only way that works is when you push down the flush lever. Is your toilet bowl filling up more and more each time the pump cycles?? It just does not seem to me that your cold water pump should cycle unless there is a loss of pressure somewhere which means there should be a leak happening somewhere. Maybe your system/pump is sucking air from some fitting and that also allows for enough pressure drop to kick on the pump.
When you flush the toilet there is an automatic demand for water in the bowl so the pump will naturally come on to supply that demand.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:21 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I'm sorry if I'm not being clear folks. The pump turns on at night when I get up and flush the toilet - even just a quick pump. The fresh water pump has never come on when we're both lying in bed. I can successfully climb out of bed and perform my ablutions without waking my wife. But; if I flush, the pump comes on. In the 24D the water pump is under the murphy bed and right under her head. When she wakes with a start, it's a while until she gets back to sleep. I'm just trying o find a simple solution so I don't have to leave the toilet without flushing or cleaning. In the middle of the night I'm just as likely to pour water on my toes as in the bowl so that's something I'd like to avoid if possible...
Old 02-19-2019, 12:25 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

If it's running occasionally without using water....It has a leak.

An "accumulator" does not accumulate/store water. It damps the vibration in the water column due to the pump's operation. It does not allow for more pressure or volume in the system. It just damps vibration and noise and smooths out the peaks and valleys in the pressure. However, as soon as the pressure drops due to use....the pumps pressure switch turns the pump on to maintain the system pressure. You gain little or nothing.

You may wish to consider the Shu-flo pump silencing kit. Way easier to install. No greater volume but it is quieter and takes up less space.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/RV-Wa...9285092F502BC3

Or....turn the pump off at night.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:10 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I thought the main advantage of an accumulator in a leak-free system was to prevent pulsing of water flow?
Old 02-20-2019, 09:44 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg121 View Post
I thought the main advantage of an accumulator in a leak-free system was to prevent pulsing of water flow?
That is the idea. However......always a however...... It may not be the ideal solution or maybe no solution.

In a house they help damp the shock and vibration of "Water hammer" that may be damaging to the pipes and the annoying noise. In a RV, there is a pressure controlled pump. The pumps are "reed valve" design. The tiny valves open and close rapidly and the eccentric drive creates tiny shockwaves and vibration in the water column. The vibration and shockwaves is not absorbed by the hard walled PEX line. So it makes a lot of noise.

To effectively damp the vibration you have to isolate the pump from the PEX lines with a softer, reinforced hose. The soft hose absorbs the energy damping the vibration and noise.

Also you need to assure the pump mounting is correct and it allows the isolation pad or legs to absorb the pumps vibration. Can't be mounted too firm or too loose. All the PEX lines have to be checked for charging, rubbing or contact with the coach frame as much as possible. They need to be secured as much as possible to hold them steady.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/RV-Wa...9285092F502BC3

Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:37 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Roadcrafter, I have a slide in truck camper with no accumulator, and the motorhome that does. I think the accumulator will help with what you want, but it doesn't provide much drawdown before the pump comes on.....just a little.
You may want more than one!!
One other option when you're stopped is a liter bottle of water by the toilet.
Pour your own, and make those trips in stealth!
Old 02-24-2019, 09:39 PM   #18
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

There is nothing wrong with a horizontal installation. There is no air to worry about if you get one with a bladder and most should work that way.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:45 PM   #19
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

AndyAK, You may have too much initial pressure in your accumulator when empty. Extra pressure leaves little room for water. Initially, no more than 20 psi is plenty, 15 psi may be better, depending on your final system pressure.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:58 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadCrafters View Post
I'm sorry if I'm not being clear folks. The pump turns on at night when I get up and flush the toilet - even just a quick pump. The fresh water pump has never come on when we're both lying in bed. I can successfully climb out of bed and perform my ablutions without waking my wife. But; if I flush, the pump comes on. In the 24D the water pump is under the murphy bed and right under her head. When she wakes with a start, it's a while until she gets back to sleep. I'm just trying o find a simple solution so I don't have to leave the toilet without flushing or cleaning. In the middle of the night I'm just as likely to pour water on my toes as in the bowl so that's something I'd like to avoid if possible...
We also have a 24D and avoid running the pump at night as it is a noise problem. It seems that a cheaper fix is to just not run the pump at night, but rather put a sploosh of Downey in the toilet before you go to bed and just don’t flush until morning. Downey keeps things smelling fine all night long. If you HAVE to flush, then (again, keep the pump off) just keep a bit of water in a convenient container sitting in the shower and when you are done with “business”, push the open valve on the toilet and pour in the flushing water (followed by a sploosh of Downey). Of course, if you are on shore water then you won’t need the pump anyway.
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water