Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-02-2017, 06:59 AM   #561
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
And I already have two major problems: The engine battery is dead and will not hold a charge. And, the 7 way plug is dead - except for the 12 charge line. I have a couple of other minor things and have notified the dealer. It's going to be fun to see whether or not they are half as good as Tiffin in resolving these issues.
7-way plug is dead? Our dolly brakes just stopped working after only 2,700 miles. I was assuming it was the dolly brakes but looks like I need to consider the View as the problem. Any way I can easily test this?
SocioSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:26 AM   #562
Winnie-Wise

I know about the battery disconnect and was advised to use it when parked - which I did. The battery should have been well charged after a 225 mile trip. The alternator is putting out the proper voltage, btw.

The 7-way plug is a major concern as it acts like it was never connected to the chassis harness. The only pins that work are the ground and the 12V charge line. No tail lights, turn signals, etc. Everything was tested with the engine running.

SocioSam -
It is easy to test the 7 way plug. The wiring diagram is on the lid (and online as well, Google "7 way trailer connector"). You can use a test light or a multimeter to test the voltage. Holding the lid open is a pain, so if you have a cord with the male connector, you can plug that in and then test each individual wire. I use a multimeter so these are instructions for that.

1. Place the negative probe on the ground wire. The red or positive probe is used to test the individual circuits.
2. Start with the 12 volt power pin. You should have at least 12v at that pin, if the engine is running over 14v is normal.
3. Turn the 4 way flasher on, you should have fluctuating 0-12v on each of the 2 pins.
4. Turn the lights on, you should have a steady 12v on the tail light pin.

If any of those don't work... The question I have is where do I find the fuses or connector that controls these circuits.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:41 AM   #563
Winnebago Camper

Hi. If you have tank heaters for your water and waste if left on they will drain your battery asap. You must be leaving something on unless you have a bad battery. Charge and test it
Good luck
DJDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:08 PM   #564
Winnebago Owner

Here is a link that may be of help.

Fix Trailer Lights - Instructions & Diagrams
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:24 AM   #565
Winnebago Camper

luvlabs-
Unless they've changed in the last few years, the sprinter chassis lights cannot be checked with a meter or leds....they require a load to operate.

There are 3 View/Navion groups on yahoo with a wealth of info. I suggest joining at least the tech group here https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...avionTech/info to search for info and ask questions.

Good luck
neschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:12 AM   #566
Winnie-Wise

Thanks all for your suggestions. I've tested the 7 way plug and connections and the output is nothing. I've plugged the car into the system, which supplied a load, and still nothing. (which is what started this whole thing)

Tank heaters will drain your batteries but that will be the house batteries, not the engine battery.

Mercedes Service is a pain to deal with but the battery and at least part of the tail light wiring is their problem. So, next week I will drive 230 miles to have Mercedes "look at the problem". I've been in contact with my dealer as well and somehow it will be fixed.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:04 AM   #567
Winnebago Owner

Check list for buying view/navion 24G

Does anyone have a detailed check list that we can apply to all features of a 2013 Winnebago Navion 24G prior to purchase would deeply appreciate have such a list.
Thank yo
pine tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:03 AM   #568
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by pine tree View Post
Does anyone have a detailed check list that we can apply to all features of a 2013 Winnebago Navion 24G prior to purchase would deeply appreciate have such a list.
Thank yo
Sent you a PM. I have one. Not for pre purchase but for "pre-plight" and use. If that will work.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:27 PM   #569
Winnebago Owner

Has anyone developed a schedule of maintenance for View/Navion? The dealer seems to be wanting to do a lot of things every 6 months (battery service, slide out maintenance, fresh water system flush) or every year (LP appliance service, roof AC service) and a pre-trip inspection (for $200!). I'm hoping to get some ideas on what is really needed and when.
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:56 AM   #570
DMA
Winnebago Camper

I would take a pass on the Dealer's offer unless you cannot do any of those things yourself.
Batteries, check fluids if there is access to the wet cells, annual
Slide, purchase a can of CRC Power Lube with PTF (Amazon) once a year
Fresh water flush do it yourself at least once or twice a year directions are in your manual
LP appliance service and AC service if it isn't broke...
Your Sprinter Manual covers the MB Service recommendations. Depending on your model it will remind you via the MB computer.
Check oil prior to each trip
Windshield wiper fluids
Replace wiper blades every couple of years
Keep DEF (if applicable) topped off
Check and inspect tires for appropriate PSI prior to each trip.
At each rest stop walk around your rig. Look at tires. Especially from the rear.
I wash my roof once or twice a year, inspect antennas, vents, 303 Protectorant the AC cover if it is black plastic
Lube steps per manufacturers recommendations once a year
If you use a water filter under your sink, change it out annually
Replace you water filter that you use for hookup annually
Winterizing if applicable is straight forward but some have a dealer do that.
Wax entire rig at least once a year
Run your generator once a month for a half hour
Change generator oil per your manual

Let me know if you have questions

15NJP (Navion J Profile) 41K miles
DMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:09 AM   #571
DMA
Winnebago Camper

I have 41K miles on our original Tires, Continental Vanco. They have been flawless in their wear and performance. Fortunately no road hazard damage. It's time for them to be retired.
Here is what I am doing:
Tires Michelin Defender LTX M/S 215 185 R16
Borg Dually Valve Kit for rears, fronts will be stock
Equal Flexx Balance Beads rears only
I have a TPMS Tire Traker System I'm finally going to install

I have taken the wheel simulators off which makes stock access to valve stems easier.
They are staying off. I used them until one came off going down the highway. Got tired of putting ties on and off.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:15 AM   #572
DMA
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2015 NJP (Navion J Profile). The seats covers/upholstery is breaking down.
I am talking with WGO about replacements. No resolution yet.
In the interim I purchased a set of Cover King seat covers through Costco.
1 row, spacer mesh gray with black sides. Covers seats, back, headrests and armrests.
They look great and were easy to install.
$100, normally $150.
Cover King has lots of styles and colors, the Costco sale only covered three types.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:41 AM   #573
DMA
Winnebago Camper

Some time ago I posted an inquiry about my sagging plastic headliner (15NJP).
When I called WGO they didn't address the issue because I think they thought it was the ceiling vinyl. It wasn't.
At any rate, the molded plastic liner had a one inch gap. I was able to fix it.
It is screwed to blocks (glued?) to the roof. Remove the two speakers for the Jensen surround system and there are the screws. You can replace the screws or use the same screws and some glue. Just don't use screws that are two long or you will penetrate the roof!!
Problem solved.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:29 AM   #574
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMA View Post
I would take a pass on the Dealer's offer unless you cannot do any of those things yourself.
Batteries, check fluids if there is access to the wet cells, annual
Slide, purchase a can of CRC Power Lube with PTF (Amazon) once a year
Fresh water flush do it yourself at least once or twice a year directions are in your manual
LP appliance service and AC service if it isn't broke...
Your Sprinter Manual covers the MB Service recommendations. Depending on your model it will remind you via the MB computer.
Check oil prior to each trip
Windshield wiper fluids
Replace wiper blades every couple of years
Keep DEF (if applicable) topped off
Check and inspect tires for appropriate PSI prior to each trip.
At each rest stop walk around your rig. Look at tires. Especially from the rear.
I wash my roof once or twice a year, inspect antennas, vents, 303 Protectorant the AC cover if it is black plastic
Lube steps per manufacturers recommendations once a year
If you use a water filter under your sink, change it out annually
Replace you water filter that you use for hookup annually
Winterizing if applicable is straight forward but some have a dealer do that.
Wax entire rig at least once a year
Run your generator once a month for a half hour
Change generator oil per your manual

Let me know if you have questions

15NJP (Navion J Profile) 41K miles
We were told NOT to check battery water levels (View 24 G) as they are sealed.
SocioSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:02 AM   #575
DMA
Winnebago Camper

That is why I stated "if you have access", some units have sealed cells, others not.
Depends on the year and technology.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:30 PM   #576
Winnebago Camper

We are new to RVing and are torn between buying a small fifth wheel (Arctic Fox 27-5L) or a Navion 24G. While I like the idea of Navion's small footprint and the fact that it's built on a diesel Mercedes chassis my major concern is small tankage. Fuel, water, propane tanks are smaller then any other coach or travel trailer we saw. How long do fuel, propane and water last when Navion is used by 2 people while dry camping? This is rather important question to us since we are planning to go full time and spend as little time in RV parks as possible. We like nature, hiking so are thinking about campgrounds, National Parks, BLM areas with limited or absent hookups...
rostyvyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:16 PM   #577
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostyvyg View Post
We are new to RVing and are torn between buying a small fifth wheel (Arctic Fox 27-5L) or a Navion 24G. While I like the idea of Navion's small footprint and the fact that it's built on a diesel Mercedes chassis my major concern is small tankage. Fuel, water, propane tanks are smaller then any other coach or travel trailer we saw. How long do fuel, propane and water last when Navion is used by 2 people while dry camping? This is rather important question to us since we are planning to go full time and spend as little time in RV parks as possible. We like nature, hiking so are thinking about campgrounds, National Parks, BLM areas with limited or absent hookups...
The small tanks would definitely need to be considered. Also, the relatively small OCCC would not be optimal for full-timing, IMO.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:00 AM   #578
Winnebago Camper

Well, I certainly do not want anything longer then 30 feet, also the quality of the new trailers and coaches I've seen scares the daylights out of me. I do some woodworking as a hobby and seeing how cabinetry is built by most of the manufacturers makes me want to cry. Particle board, staples, oh my... I narrowed down a list of contenders to companies who still adhere to the best practices and make quality products: Winnebago, Northwood, Airstream. Also looked at older Calss A by Country Coach (they happen to made 30 footers). I and my wife are not scared to downsize and have a minimalist life - we spent quite some time on a sailboat where space is at premium. Still, I can't put my finger on water consumption as it relates to traveling on land. How much time does water last when using Navion? Do you carry extra water jugs? Do you carry extra diesel fuel? How long does the propane last? If we could stretch it to a week without topping the tanks up we might as well go with the View or Navion...
rostyvyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:08 AM   #579
Winnebago Master

The build quality of RVs should scare you; it's pathetic across all brands. The fact is, RVs are not meant as full time housing and usually must be built from thinner, flimsier materials because of weight limitations. Two things you'll definitely need for RVing are lots of money and mechanical aptitude... and a sense of humor will help.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #580
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostyvyg View Post
Four or 5 days for water and tanks is about the best I have done. Propane tank will last 6 months unless you have a propane generator (get the diesel generator instead) or exceptionally cold weather. Fuel tank is 28 gal so figure on stopping every 250-300 miles for diesel.

Fulltime in a Navion - how soon before the divorce? Just kidding but this rig is not for fulltime use, too small, too little carrying space and capacity.