Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-08-2014, 06:06 AM   #141
Winnebago Camper

We just came down from St. Lawrence Seaway and are now outside Gettysburg, PA. Filled up DEF prior to leaving...have done Nova Scotia and back to Mass. without fillup...was told tank is big enough on my '11 ViewJ to go the 10K with the oil change. Have pesky engine light going on/off..had it coded...seems I might have air leak in fuel system..even including DEF..but runs fine...have gone 26,500 so far with few problems...get 15 mpg all day at 70 mph. Will be going into storage inside 1st of November...safe camping to all........
Old 09-09-2014, 03:26 PM   #142
Winnebago Camper

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver bike View Post
If you wanted the cab over sleeping you could of got I believe the Thor or forest river it has rear slide and over cab sleeping. What I like on other models on sprint chassis are the side opening storage doors , easier to get in.
The spring paper clips nodding work so good . So I tried the Velcro worse down here in south Florida . Bent up some wire holding clips , painted them bleach and screwed the to the bottom of the window frame now the foil sits in the clips and the shade holds it against the window. Problem solved
Silver bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #143
Winnebago Camper

Plastic bag holder

Made one out of a plastic box the had a snap tight cover . Cut a 2" hole in the lid and used Velcro to mount it inside the door under the sink . Keep large bags in the back and small garbage can ones in the front. Used large Velcro this time.
Silver bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #144
Winnebago Camper

Cracked Windshield!

Hi All,
On our recent trip we took a rock from a pickup truck and sure enough, the windshield cracked and the crack is too big/long to repair. So, when I took my VP2014G in for repairs I got a quote for a new windshield from the Winnebago Dealer. Their quote totaled $1150 for a new windshield.

I called my insurance company and they talked to the Winnie Dealer and balked at the cost, saying they were trying to charge too much for labor and shipping/crating. They want me to go with their "Recommended" auto glass repair company.

I told them the windshield on the Views are very specific and have special hardware attached to them for the privacy curtain system and asked him to tell the repair shop to get a genuine Winnebago windshield. I am waiting for them to get back to me.

I think it is highly probably someone else on this board has had the same problem. How did you resolve it? Were you able to get an exact replacement or is a generic windshield OK to use?

Thanks much!
Bill
Cruizer Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:21 PM   #145
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2014 24g navion with the GPS system. According to our manual we should be able to hear someone directing you when backing up with the camera system. I hear nothing and searched the settings for camera audio but no luck. Anyone come across this?
rubyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:50 PM   #146
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
We have a 2014 24g navion with the GPS system. According to our manual we should be able to hear someone directing you when backing up with the camera system. I hear nothing and searched the settings for camera audio but no luck. Anyone come across this?
Try one or both of two things... first, select the auxiliary A/V input on the control head and also sometimes there is insufficient gain on the microphone input so you might need to turn up the volume quite high. Once you do these things if the microphone is hooked up at all you should hear some background noise from outside the vehicle.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:06 AM   #147
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
On our Via you have to:

1) Select the backup camera with the GPS button
2) Touch the screen for a menu
3) Turn the audio on

Maybe you have to do the same?
neschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:28 PM   #148
Winnebago Watcher

Has anyone replaced a basement door handle on a 2012 View? One of mine broke at the handle hinge. It is one of the handles that engages the lock. I ordered the part but was wondering if I can install it myself. The hinge end is just held in by two screws but I am not sure what to do with the other end. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:44 PM   #149
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by neschultz View Post
On our Via you have to:

3) Turn the audio on

Hi neschultz, thanks for the tip. I tried it and it worked. Can't tell you how long I spent trying to figure it out.
rubyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:08 AM   #150
DMA
Winnebago Camper

2015 running changes in the V versions. Watched a Dealer walk around video 9.20.
Things I liked. Getting rid of the side window blinds, for decreased rattles and elimination of bulky framing eliminating blind spots.

Added window over the sink. 53 percent more window area.

Cabinet for TV over that window. Cleaner more integrated look with room for satellite electronics.

Some very nice trim features on cabinetry including back and rope LED lighting.

More room under sink storage.

Creative sewer pipe storage.

Elimination of air bed in favor of padded and upholstered. That didn't look that comfortable to me.

4 cylinder 7 speed for smother shifting and increased fuel economy. 3mpg reported.

Some models not the V gained a foot in length!

Lichtsinn, Iowa did the presentation. Please contact dealers for my content accuracy. I'm going by 24 hour recollection.
DMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:34 PM   #151
DMA
Winnebago Camper

Following a few months of forum reads, Internet shopping, dealer visits, we selected a model (2015 Navion J) negotiated a price, and the dealer placed the order with Winnebago. Will hear about the build date schedule eventually. Will be a few months and that's ok. Excited to say the least.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:49 PM   #152
DMA
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMA View Post
Following a few months of forum reads, Internet shopping, dealer visits, we selected a model (2015 Navion J) negotiated a price, and the dealer placed the order with Winnebago. Will hear about the build date schedule eventually. Will be a few months and that's ok. Excited to say the least.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:51 PM   #153
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruizer Bill View Post
We bought our 2014 View Profile 24G in March and love it! 33 Nights camping so far and it is great! So far I have been lugging a Weber small charcoal grill along, stored in the back area. We would like to switch to a gas grill but which one can we fit into our exterior storage space? Does the Weber Q1000 fit into the exterior space of a 24G?

So far we usually get 16 mpg, have seen as low as 13.7 mpg and as high as 16.9. We have driving 7400 miles and had to top off our DEF tank when the warning light came on at 6100 miles. No major issues with the unit, just small stuff like blinds, the parking brake cover, the air bed going off by itself (unplugged it), and no sound from the backup camera.

Any help on the BBQ grill appreciated!

Thanks!
Bill
UPDATE: We bought the Fuego Element portable grill for our 24G. It fits easily into the rear storage area under the slideout. Here is where we purchased it:
Fuego Element Portable Gas Grill - Gas Grills at Hayneedle

We have used it once so far and it is excellent. Easy to set up, use and clean. It cooks well too.
Bill
Old 09-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #154
Winnebago Camper

Cracked Windshield! UPDATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruizer Bill View Post
Hi All,
On our recent trip we took a rock from a pickup truck and sure enough, the windshield cracked and the crack is too big/long to repair. So, when I took my VP2014G in for repairs I got a quote for a new windshield from the Winnebago Dealer. Their quote totaled $1150 for a new windshield.

I called my insurance company and they talked to the Winnie Dealer and balked at the cost, saying they were trying to charge too much for labor and shipping/crating. They want me to go with their "Recommended" auto glass repair company.

I told them the windshield on the Views are very specific and have special hardware attached to them for the privacy curtain system and asked him to tell the repair shop to get a genuine Winnebago windshield. I am waiting for them to get back to me.

I think it is highly probably someone else on this board has had the same problem. How did you resolve it? Were you able to get an exact replacement or is a generic windshield OK to use?

Thanks much!
Bill
UPDATE: We called the insurance company and they wanted us to take the View to a local low-cost auto glass company for replacement. After talking to the Winnebago Dealer we insisted on a genuine Winnebago replacement part. The insurance company called the dealer and the dealer wanted $450 to install the windshield, which they said was too much. We went back and forth several times and finally the insurance company found a glass company willing to install the windshield at an agreeable price.

So, the Winnebago Dealer ordered the windshield and turned it over to the Mobile installation company and they came to my house to install the windshield. I asked the installer if there was anything on the windshield that would require a genuine replacement part. He said there was not. The windshield has a plastic piece attached to it in the center at the top but the installer said this was for a rear view mirror, which is not used in our View Profile 24G. So, we could have used the generic windshield after all.

Bottom line is our windshield is replaced at no cost to us. I hope it does not happen again. The Winnebago dealer quoted a total cost of $1150 to replace the windshield but a generic one would run way less than that from a lower cost provider.
Bill
Old 09-30-2014, 04:09 PM   #155
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by neschultz View Post
On our Via you have to:

3) Turn the audio on

BINGO, that is the secret. Turn on the camera (or just shift into reverse and it comes on automatically), then TOUCH THE SCREEN to get the menu that allows you to turn on/up the microphone volume. This was not obvious at all. Thanks much!
Bill
Old 10-01-2014, 02:29 PM   #156
Winnebago Camper

Never buy glass from dealer... They Jack he price up. Many dealers use outside vendors & add a fee. just had mine redone by Novis glass in Colorado Springs a few months ago. No problems so far. Every manufacturer is slightly different (vehicles) and good glass people will know what to do. Dave :-)
Wdbeadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:10 PM   #157
Winnebago Owner

Interesting. Just came from Lichtsinn, Iowa and they had no clue why our 2014 View had a loud and annoying rattle. We've taken our View Profile G to two authorized dealers (Lexington, KY and Forest City, IA) and neither could figure out where the rattle comes from.
SocioSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:15 PM   #158
Winnebago Owner

We too had a rock from a truck hit our windshield. It was "somewhat" fixed by those kits but....

Exactly, how did you get a free windshield?
Old 10-09-2014, 08:20 PM   #159
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocioSam View Post
Interesting. Just came from Lichtsinn, Iowa and they had no clue why our 2014 View had a loud and annoying rattle. We've taken our View Profile G to two authorized dealers (Lexington, KY and Forest City, IA) and neither could figure out where the rattle comes from.
You didn't mention going to the Winnebago factory which is a mile down the road from Lichtsinn. Did you try to have the factory fix the rattle?
bobcat66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:27 AM   #160
Winnebago Owner

No

We have toured the factory but didn't know they would do any work on it. I did watch the video you (or someone) mentioned. That video noted that the 2015 Views do not have side shades by driver or shotgun chairs due to noise issues. We have that problem and the guy at Lichtsinn just shrugged his shoulders.

The more annoying noise is a "clang" behind the driver. It is either in the slide out or the space just behind the driver. It is rare on smooth highway but if you hit a bump it sounds like a pendulum is hitting something. If it gets doing it takes awhile to stop.