Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #81
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocioSam View Post
This might seem like a strange question. We are new RV owners and in a few weeks leave on our first serious trip, largely to State parks in Florida. RV owners we know have suggested we get a gun. We support the 2nd Amendment but don't really want to get a gun - we live in a very safe urban area. What do you folks think?
Check it out, do not believe state parks allow guns ..
HarleyDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #82
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyDriven View Post

Check it out, do not believe state parks allow guns ..
I've carried a concealed weapon for five years and always check the states I drive through before going. A gun in a safe in your motor home is not against the law. You can have a gun just about anywhere. You can not carry it on your person unless you have a Conceal Weapons Permit. 2nd amendment. Local state laws differ but most states honor other states license. Maybe some parks don't allow you to carry in the park. I wear my gun to the bank and Church!!!
N415BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #83
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
... but don't really want to get a gun
I think this answers your question. If you cannot attain a reasonable comfort and skill level then it's probably not such a good idea.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #84
Winnebago Owner

Leveling my Class C View Profile?

I have a leveling question for my View Profile 24G. Dealer told me to use wood blocks. But I've been looking at the interlocking plastic. Customer comments are confusing. Some say they are great but others say not good for RVs.

We will be staying largely in Florida State parks on our first "adventure." What do I need? And what about those wheel chocks?
SocioSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #85
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Dealer told me to use wood blocks. But I've been looking at the interlocking plastic. Customer comments are confusing. Some say they are great but others say not good for RVs.
I find the interlocking plastic ones to be much more adaptable (not to mention much lighter) then wood planks. They are subject to breakage after a while but it's not really a problem.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:03 PM   #86
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I have a question about leveling. I'm told it is critical for the refrigerator. Our dealers told us to just get some boards and stack under wheels as needed. Others tell us to buy those plastic leveling blocks (about $25 for 8-12) and told we might need more than 1 kit. Also told that hydraulic bottle jacks might to the trick. What do we need to consider?
I have the leveling blocks and, yes, I think you should have AT LEAST 2 sets. I don't know about the hydraulic jacks.
Sandi
Old 12-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #87
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
This might seem like a strange question. We are new RV owners and in a few weeks leave on our first serious trip, largely to State parks in Florida. RV owners we know have suggested we get a gun. We support the 2nd Amendment but don't really want to get a gun - we live in a very safe urban area. What do you folks think?
I have pepper spray from the Pepper Spray Center online. It actually looks like a small gun. Also have wasp spray.
Sandi
Old 01-01-2014, 10:09 AM   #88
Winnebago Watcher

Firearms

Quote:
Originally Posted by monik7 View Post
I have pepper spray from the Pepper Spray Center online. It actually looks like a small gun. Also have wasp spray.
Sandi
A safe urban area is a a oxymoron. Get a firearm, a CHL and practice, practice, practice. Besides once you leave your safe urban area you are on your own. I live in Dallas, Texas and the average response time for police is around 10 minutes or more. Most firearm projectiles travel at over 1,000 feet per second!

csnider
csnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:20 PM   #89
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnider View Post
A safe urban area is a a oxymoron. Get a firearm, a CHL and practice, practice, practice. Besides once you leave your safe urban area you are on your own. I live in Dallas, Texas and the average response time for police is around 10 minutes or more. Most firearm projectiles travel at over 1,000 feet per second! csnider
Sorry, but my son was murdered with a firearm. I don't plan to ever have one.
Sandi
Old 01-02-2014, 01:41 PM   #90
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Sandi
What a horrible thing to have happen. So sorry Sandi.

That said my Wife and I both have our carry license and I carry all the time, although she doesn't. I sincerely hope never to have a use for any weapon, but I have been in situations where I felt helpless and I don't like it. People never know I'm carrying and I will never reveal it publicly.

It has to be a personal decision but if you do choose to carry, get some training. Guns are dangerous to someone who has no skills with them. It's not like the movies.

Check this link for a ton of information on the subject.

Concealed Carry Secrets | USCCA[name]&aid=29454456377&gclid=CM3lwtus4LsCFecRMwodVhcA aw
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:45 PM   #91
Living The Dream

Quote:
Sandi
Very sad, sorry for your loss.

Hopefully the individual guilty of the murder was brought to swift justice.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:23 PM   #92
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Very sad, sorry for your loss. Hopefully the individual guilty of the murder was brought to swift justice.
Well, I'm not sure you can call going to court every month for 3 years swift. One got 28 years to life and will eventually come up for parole. One got life without parole, but since he was a couple months short of 18, the Calif. legislature is considering passing a law to review all such cases and allow parole. We'll see on that one. The last squealed on the other two and got 15 years to life. He's been denied parole twice and I fear he may get out the next time in 2019. Losers and gang members, all three! My main purpose in life now is to keep them where they are as long as possible.
Sandi
Old 01-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #93
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
I happen to be at a Pilot yesterday and saw a box of DEF. Looked like it may have been a couple gallons. I am assuming that is what I will be buying!

I understand how it works but have no clue on how often it will need to be re-filled or even how to tell when it does need refilling.

LeeB
You will get an indicator signal that will light up in the dash. No rush to stop and fill it. Next stop for gas buy that 2 gallon DEF they sell. May not take all 2 gallons. Pretty simple.
OhioJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:41 PM   #94
DMA
Winnebago Camper

Hello and I will use my number two post to breathe some life into this thread.
I did some lurking...not enough to be considered a pervert mind you. Read these pages from beginning to end after Following the rules and did my intro in the new member sign up zone. We live in East TN outside Knoxville. Getting to the point in a year, maybe less for the right deal to purchase a MH. MH, see already picking up on the acronyms.
For a year we, driven primarily by me was convinced that a "fiver" was the way to go. Now I'm not so sure. I was going to try the 1/2 ton truck (2015 Ford) and smallest, lightest high tech fifth wheel available, truck as second car etc....

One of our friends recently bought a 30 foot Thor class A and as we all know the hunt for the ideal, boat, place to live etc never ends so they told us about the new Winnebago Trend they looked at it and how practical it seemed and how maybe they should have gone the smaller is better route. We went and looked at it but it seems like an entry level rig, but many of the Nav/View features can be found in the line up. Seems as if they can be had in the low 70k range. Rumors of $69 are on the Interweb.The Promaster (Fiat/Chrysler) gasser gets mixed reviews as a transporter and I don't know how much history there is in the US. I got the impression it's a first run for a Motorhome but at the price point it may be way of the future to get buyers on board.
The Trend at least has us considering Nav/Views and I think if we go that route for our needs the V layout would be preferable.
I was thinking an pre owned 2011 or 12 in late 2015 would be our price range avoid the new rig initial depreciation...Then I saw some upgrades that seemingly came in the 2013s that we would like, so I would spend more maybe to get those.
Ok, now for some questions.

Anything in the newer models you really wished you had that weren't available at the time you bought yours?
Looks like some of the tank plumbing layout was improved in 13 or maybe 12?
Inverter apparently is popular enough it was added as an option recently, comments?
Can the LP gen set be supplied by an external tank with factory supplied fittings?
Thoughts on the "new" large vent being offered?
Anyone added solar panels? Any recommendations? I don't see it offered by Winnebago.
I was looking at a 2011 that had powered leveling jacks. Is this an option? I don't see it listed as such? Waste of money? Not really necessary?

If we stay on this path and it seems like we will I look forward to your input.

Dennis.

BTW We had one of these for years in the 70s. Wish we still had it.

Always travel with this. 2000 Achilles and 5 HP Mercury.

DMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:52 AM   #95
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
If you do not now possess a firearm and have been practicing with it for some time, it's too late to consider getting one for an imminent trip. Inexperienced firearms use is more of a danger to the innocent and to the owner than it's worth. The majority of people who own firearms are unskilled and won't be able to use them properly. Many are more of a danger to their neighbors when their fire bullets through walls and kill innocent bystanders (a big problem with gang shootouts near where I live).

Unless you are very unusual, you wouldn't be able to hit anything you aim at with a handgun in any event. Handgun bullets commonly used will bounce and tend to hit people up to a a mile away. A friend of mine in the Baltimore Police department had a maniac grab his gun and fire it. It hit the maniac in the hip, and bounced off, killing him instantly. A judge in Towson had a bullet fired by his body guard into the sidewalk bounce off and penetrate his leg. Hughey Long Governor of Louisiana was killed by a handgun bullet fried by his body guard that bounced.

A Shotgun is the best choice loaded with NO. 4 Buck Shot. It will tend NOT to "over penetrate." I carry my guns loaded with "Safety Ammunition" to protect my neighbors. But I also have ready magazines with high penetration bullets, to shoot through vehicles should I need to stop a vehicle and those in it.

Some Police agencies are replacing handgun caliber weapons (such as the H&K MP5 in 9mm or 40 caliber) with AR type rifles and carbines for this reason. The AR round is .223 Remington (or 5.56mm Nato) and it's bullets will disintegrate on the first contact with ANY object, thus being much safer in use than slow pistol bullets that will penetrate walls and automobiles and can bounce to inflict injuries at quite a distance.

In many areas having a firearm accessible in a vehicle is illegal. Most parks ban firearms. There are moves to change this in National Parks even now.

The complications of dealing with the Police while a having a firearm in the RV makes it a risk to you probably greater than the random risk of crime. As a a life long shooter, I don't recommend that anyone carry a firearm unless they have the proper training, permits, and practice regularly. That costs time and money that most people are unwilling to spend.
elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:37 AM   #96
Winnebago Owner

Per DNA questions:

Not sure I can answer all you Qs as this is our first RV and just finished second trip. View handles well on road - I was reluctant to buy anything but a B thinking I'd hate driving it. The G with slide out bed is a semi hassle for moving and setting up but getting hang of it. Only 2 of us and 2 cats so no need to sleep more. Might have gone with M - I think that is version with odd king bed. Wife liked G because of more counter space and she is into cooking. She is a nurse (as well as lawyer, social scientist, and once a programmer) and the fact that the Bs we looked at used same sink for toilet and cooking grossed her out.

TV are no options (except for 2nd & 3rd ones) but included. Inverter was nice two nights we had no electric hookup. Not sure what large vent is. We have Mercedes diesel and are getting 15 to 16 mpg. Only 15 this last trip but drive with air on all trip as it was hot.

We bought from Lichtsinn in Forest City as we wanted to break in the diesel engine. Since then we have learned they are great on service. Had a problem with awning "fixed" at dealer in Lexington who made it worse. On recent Iowa trip took it to Lichtsinn and they fixed it quickly plus corrected the other dealer's mistake. Heard a similar story from friends who bought a used Winnebago.

We bought new (22% discount off the MR?? something) and they gave us a checklist of all options. Went with propane generator which works fine. Might have chosen fan rather than skylight if we had a do over.

Hope this is helpful.
SocioSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:50 AM   #97
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMA View Post
The Trend at least has us considering Nav/Views and I think if we go that route for our needs the V layout would be preferable.
The first RV I considered was a long time ago, it was the Winnebago Rialta which was built on a VW chassis and could get 20 mpg. A couple of years back I started looking at the View/Navion due to the size and Diesel engine. For quite a while I was leaning toward the V which came out recently. One day at an RV dealer where I could see them side by side, I realized that the G was much larger inside when the slide was out (in the back for the queen bed) and that changed my mind. My wife was more perceptive on this and preferred the G from the start.

We had seen the Trend when it was first shown at Hershey, and thought that it was too small. In addition, I am not thrilled with the prospect of having to deal with Chrysler for service. I'd much rather deal with the Mercedes-Benz truck people.
Quote:
I was thinking an pre owned 2011 or 12 in late 2015 would be our price range avoid the new rig initial depreciation...
I considered that also until I realized that there was virtually no (very little) difference in price between a new and old unit based on the Sprinter and from Winnebago. Add to this the inability to FIND any used ones made the decision easy.
Quote:
Then I saw some upgrades that seemingly came in the 2013s that we would like, so I would spend more maybe to get those.
Ok, now for some questions.
I wanted the Rand/McNally RV GPS and all LED lighting as well as the standard 1KW inverter, new fridge and a few other changes, not to mention the most important of all, a new warranty package.
Quote:
Anything in the newer models you really wished you had that weren't available at the time you bought yours?
I would rather have had the Diesel generator, but it's really hard to say this since my wife might be sensitive to the Diesel exhaust. MB also just came out with a Turbo 4 cylinder 2.2 Liter Diesel engine with 7 speed transmission that can get up to 32 MPG in Vans. I was hoping this would be offered and that it might give us better MPG. On the other hand, a larger less high tech engine which is not brand new is likely to be more reliable.

There are a long list of MB Sprinter options that I would have liked to have seen in the RV, like better LED information, multi-function steering wheel, collision prevention, lane keeping and driving assist, FOG LAMPS, light and rain sensor (all in a $1500 package which I would buy). I would like to have a better way of checking tire pressure. The Dual Rears are a real pain to check.

If you encounter slanted speed bumps, these need to be taken at a crawl. They really disrupt the ride. I went over a couple in Hagerstown MD two week ago that really shook things up. I would like to see this ability improved.

As far as the RV part, I'd like to see a small washing machine/dryer as an option. I do not like the exterior color schemes very much. I like the Navion because it's front cap is white (not black or dark). On the other hand I would have liked a more dignified predominantly silver/grey color similar to the Leisure Travel RV. My switch from View to Navion was based on color in large part.

Quote:
Looks like some of the tank plumbing layout was improved in 13 or maybe 12? Inverter apparently is popular enough it was added as an option recently, comments?
This can really bite you if you don't realize how fast it can drain the house batteries. Low draw devices are fine, but there will undoubtedly be people who drain their batteries who don't realize how much the draw is going to be.
Quote:
Can the LP gen set be supplied by an external tank with factory supplied fittings?
Yes, there are kits for this
Quote:
Thoughts on the "new" large vent being offered?
I have it and think it's a worthwhile addition. I don't particularly like opening windows
Quote:
Anyone added solar panels?
I don't plan to stay somewhere off the grid long enough that this would be of any benefit. A large part of the rationale of purchasing this 25' class C is that it can be driven many places, so you don't need a tow vehicle (I might still get one though). It takes two parking spaces even then.
Quote:
Any recommendations? I don't see it offered by Winnebago.
I was looking at a 2011 that had powered leveling jacks. Is this an option?
Not from Winnebago. I purchased my Navion from Lichtsinn. There is an HGH dealer close by who can apparently put in the levelers without voiding the MB warranty. Considering what this cost, and weighs, I did not see a need for it.
Quote:
I don't see it listed as such? Waste of money? Not really necessary?
Depends on the point of view. I've used one with the levelers; just seems unnecessary to me. I'm sure it's nice to cut setup time by a few minutes. Cost about $7000 I believe.

My purchase process took over 2 years. I obtained the "price list" with all the option codes to make sure that nothing was left out that I might want. When I used to sell automobiles, I learned that a model with all the popular options was far easier to sell when the time came, so I purchased virtually everything worthwhile except the $6K paint and expensive wheels.

Winnebago has started to STREAM in product changes at a more rapid rate, so the model year is NOT the only consideration when comparing features. I looked at 6 different View Profile/Navion IQ models within 250 miles of here. Several lacked current production features. Even then a body color change took place just as I purchased mine, which would have been (possibly) preferable to the Iron/Taupe that I purchased (Iron/Champagne).

There is a video from a dealer meeting showing the "NEW" more European look that will show up in the View. At first I was considering cancelling my purchase because of that. Then looking more closely I decided I did not care for the new look.

During the quote process, I found several models that lacked features I wanted even though they were the same model year. So there is now a bit of work to do for the discerning buyer to make sure you get exactly what you want, when it's available. There is always the risk that some feature you really want might appear suddenly, right after you purchase your unit.

Considering their current resale value, I don't see this as a problem.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:24 AM   #98
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Per DNA questions:

Not sure I can answer all you Qs as this is our first RV and just finished second trip. View handles well on road - I was reluctant to buy anything but a B thinking I'd hate driving it. The G with slide out bed is a semi hassle for moving and setting up but getting hang of it.
We find that the G has the least amount of setup needed to make up the bed. Just slide out the unit and it's ready.

Quote:
Only 2 of us and 2 cats so no need to sleep more. Might have gone with M - I think that is version with odd king bed.
The M has a dinette which is a sleeper and a cabover bed. The V model has two twins that can be made up into a King. The J has a corner bed.

Quote:
Wife liked G because of more counter space and she is into cooking. She is a nurse (as well as lawyer, social scientist, and once a programmer) and the fact that the Bs we looked at used same sink for toilet and cooking grossed her out.
Same here. I like the G's bathroom better. For a long time I preferred the V model until I tried them side by side and realized how much more space there is when the Queen bed has been slid out. For quite I while I thought the rear slide projected only 2 feet. It's actually 3 feet. We leave it made up and it's ready to sleep in within 30 seconds of sliding it out.
Quote:

TV are no options (except for 2nd & 3rd ones) but included.
We have the optional 2nd tv.
Quote:
Inverter was nice two nights we had no electric hookup.
Yes it is, so is the generator and the Heat Pump Air Conditioner.
Quote:
Not sure what large vent is.
Air return I suspect. It's part of the Coleman and has a foam element in it.
Quote:
We have Mercedes diesel and are getting 15 to 16 mpg. Only 15 this last trip but drive with air on all trip as it was hot.
The first 1900 miles we got about 14 but we are now getting 17.4 mpg. That could be me learning to drive it, or it could be the normal improvement Diesel engines go through.
Quote:

We bought from Lichtsinn in Forest City as we wanted to break in the diesel engine.
So did we. Besides it was just "down the road" from Mall of America which we went to first. We picked up some RV items there and then went to Lichtsinn to pickup the RV.
Quote:
Since then we have learned they are great on service. Had a problem with awning "fixed" at dealer in Lexington who made it worse. On recent Iowa trip took it to Lichtsinn and they fixed it quickly plus corrected the other dealer's mistake. Heard a similar story from friends who bought a used Winnebago.

We bought new (22% discount off the MR?? something) and they gave us a checklist of all options. Went with propane generator which works fine. Might have chosen fan rather than skylight if we had a do over.

Hope this is helpful.
I am sure it will be. I would have preferred the Diesel generator which is no longer offered. I did have a surge suppressor hard wired in so that it will be less likely to be stolen or lost. We haven't used our generator yet.

Another feature or two I'd like to see.
A: An on demand hot water heater
B. UV Water purifier, not just a sediment filter for the entire water system, not just the kitchen sink.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:45 AM   #99
Winnie-Wise

I am looking a change in RVs and am interested in the View or Navion 24G. Generator question; is LP or diesel the generator of choice for this nice smaller RV?
Salesmen are favoring the LP; I need good feedback from users....Thanks
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:22 AM   #100
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary CA View Post
I am looking a change in RVs and am interested in the View or Navion 24G. Generator question; is LP or diesel the generator of choice for this nice smaller RV?
Salesmen are favoring the LP; I need good feedback from users....Thanks
It depends on how heavily you plan on using the generator. With heavy use there is convenience in having the generator draw from the main tank (and not have to fill with propane as a separate operation.) This becomes less important for intermittent generator use and the diesel option is much more expensive so whether the diesel option price is worth it depends on how much continuous generator runtime will be required. In smaller units such as the View/Navion there usually isn't a requirement to run the house A/C all day as you go down the road so there isn't as large a need to lengthy generator runtime. If you will primarily be using the generator to occasionally recharge batteries or have A/C while you eat lunch then there isn't really much difference whether the generator runs on propane or diesel.

So... the diesel generator option may be optimal, but due to the difference in price a buyer needs to determine how much added value they're really going to get from the diesel and the associated higher cost. It might be worth it for some usage types that require very long generator runtimes but perhaps not for more typical usage patterns.