Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2016, 12:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

View/Navion owners--valve stems

Any of my fellow owners of this model add valve extenders to inside rear tires?

Is it possible or easy to check those tires without an extender? The owner's manual says it can be done with a long tire pressure gauge and extender to the pressure hose.

Thoughts?
Old 05-17-2016, 12:42 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Duals are PITA to check w/o extended stems. Suggest Dually Valves all metal extensions.

Fronts take a bit of fussing but are doable.

Be sure to inspect the extensions in about a year as the gaskets compress and they may need to be retightened.

Use the tire pressures stated on the driver's door placard.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Ok then! Thanks!!
Old 05-17-2016, 12:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

...where do I look for them?
Old 05-17-2016, 12:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

...brand, purchased where, and who installed them?
Old 05-17-2016, 01:49 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Cat's Eye TPMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by David and Fran View Post
Any of my fellow owners of this model add valve extenders to inside rear tires?

Is it possible or easy to check those tires without an extender? The owner's manual says it can be done with a long tire pressure gauge and extender to the pressure hose.

Thoughts?
I used these. Very, very happy with them. Got them at a large truck tire shop and had them install them while they were doing a front end alignment.

Cat's EyeŽ - Link
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:39 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by David and Fran View Post
...where do I look for them?
Dave... Soooo Sorry....

Duallyvalve Kits for Class B or C - Sprinter Trucks

DL1SP "should be" the correct model.

You must check the steel wheel's hole shape. My M.Y. 14 and your 16 Sprinter 3500 should have OVAL holes in the wheel. You need to know because there is a rubber grommet that positions the stem in the center of the oval hole.

You need to take your View to a tire shop specializing in big trucks and Class A RVs. They have the heavy duty jacks and tire equipment to safely jack & demount the tires & install the new valves. Should take about an hour.

I didn't do the fronts as they are accessible.

Another thought.... Once installed, it will be a circus trying to "rotate" the tires as the stems are going to be in all the wrong places. Considering the expense of rotating 6 doughnuts and messing with the stems, I decided to run them all in place till they wear out or become damaged.

So far @ 14K+ & using the placard pressure all tires look really good. No discernable wear.
If you weigh out and are under the GVWR, you can reduce the pressure a tiny bit. (placard = 61 psi @ 11,030 lbs GVWR. Usually, all up I'm ~ 10,100ish and I back off to 58-59 psi.)
Old 05-17-2016, 03:51 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
I used these. Very, very happy with them. Got them at a large truck tire shop and had them install them while they were doing a front end alignment.

Cat's EyeŽ - Link
Very curious..... I checked the link and their literature. I see the pressures between tires is equalized. But how does it know you are at the correct pressure.... Say 61 psi???? And how does the indicator know that is the correct pressure for your RV tire????
Old 05-17-2016, 06:01 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post
Very curious..... I checked the link and their literature. I see the pressures between tires is equalized. But how does it know you are at the correct pressure.... Say 61 psi???? And how does the indicator know that is the correct pressure for your RV tire????
There are different indicators for different air pressures, but in 5 psi increments. You specify which level of air pressure that you want. So you weigh the fully loaded rig at a truck stop, calculate the load on each tire and then look up the required air pressure in the load/pressure table for your brand of tire. Most guys will take the table value and add 5-10 psi for factor of safety and round up to the nearest 5 psi.

So say you buy the 65 psi indicator. At 61 psi the Cat's eye might be slightly open and as long as it stays at that slightly open position you're OK.

The nice thing about the Cat's Eye is that by hooking the two rear tires together, you are assured that both tires are at the exact same air pressure.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:09 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

If you have Alcoa rims:

I have the aluminum rims on my 24J and decided to just replace the valves with longer ones. It took a few tries since the Alcoa rims are different than the steel. Lichtsinn got it worked out so they now know the right set.

any tire store that will do truck tires will install them.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:19 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for all your advice...decisions, decisions!
Old 06-16-2016, 11:22 AM   #12
gr8
Winnebago Camper

I've been reading the posts about valve stems. We are newbies just bought a 2016 Navion V. We were told to not put valve extensions on due to possible damage from them. Then they showed us how to access the existing stems through the rims holes.
So, in a mental debate now as to what to do. Seems like Y'all like your valve extensions. How safe are they?
gr8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems