Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2018, 03:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

View Fresh Water Overflow Leak? Siphon?

We have a “new to us” 2014 View 24V. Filling the fresh water tank via the direct connect is easy. After completing I turn the lever from “Tank Fill” to “Normal”.
The water pump is off and all faucets are off. I arrive each time (after a two hour highway trip) with 2/3 tank of fresh water. I do note that when filling the tank that it overflows out of a small tube directly behind the fill location. The tube has what looks like about three inches of plastic screening on the end. After arriving and setting up, it never leaks again but I never arrive at our boondock site (usually a Harvest Host Vineyard) with a full tank of water.
Admittedly, I’m new to this and must be missing something. Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!
Schoolhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:14 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Could be: RV is not level when filling; air bubble trapped in tank and it "burps" when driving due to motion of the RV; vent tube is not at highest point in tank......
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Good thought....

Good thought but I know I was level each time. If it was a “one off” I wouldn’t be concerned but losing 1/3 of my available water is not a good thing. Hoping to boondock some in the desert this winter and would like to maximize my time there before heading back to town. Thanks for the feedback and I’ll be sure to keep that in mind going forward.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:40 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I hear your concern... Sorry... "Level" doesn't mean the tank is level. My bad. RV can look level but tank may not be. Fore, aft, port & starboard level on the tank.

There's two fill ports. Have you tried using the gravity fill next to the vent port? When topping up or maintaining our tanks, I always use the gravity fill. Fill until it runs out the vent.

I only use the auto-fill at GGs. And, I don't put in but just enough to get through a day and emergencies. Maybe 1/3 to 1/2 a tank.

Gauges are only accurate when tank is empty or water is venting out.. You can use a couple gallons and may show only 2/3 left.

On a 14 24G, there's a kick up next to the bed above the "water closet". If you pull the cover you can see the pump, plumbing, filter, & tank. Fill'r up and take a look to see if its full.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

WE have a 2017 Era 70X. Same situation -- full tank at the fill site, but 2/3 a ways down the road. Here is what I surmise:

Tank level sensors are full/2 thirds/1 third/empty. Nothing in between. Full means full and empty means empty.

2 thirds means less than full and more than 1 third. 1 third means less than 2 thirds and more than empty. Our "full" sensor doesn't show full unless the tank is really full -- flowing out the vent.

I think that when you see the 2 thirds indication that you really have a nearly full tank -- just not "fully" full. You could test that theory by measuring the tank output as you drain it.
White Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

If you also have a gravity fill location for your tank, Winnebago instructions state to open it when using the tank fill valve/knob. I'm not sure, but I think this allows the air in the tank to burp/escape when filling.
Lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

i had the same problem it seems like the tube has dropped or is not in far enough and when you make a turn or go up or down hill it syphons off my solution was to add a shutoff valve to the tube now no problem but open it when filling or on site only close when driving
Gordiegaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

fresh water leaking out thru overflow

after i fill my fresh water(2018 winnebego reok 5th wheel) I will lose nearly all of before my destination. every stop or takeoff some will leak out i've gotten out and looked. I was wondering about one fellow suggested plugging the drain after filling is there a downside to ie, water leaking under floor I called winnebego they said to put in another loop in the drain hose That means cutting into my insulation under the trailer
astock64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Late to this discussion and it may not be at all correct but is it possible there is another valve down under the normal/fill valve which drains water out of a portion of the lines? Left open, I could seee it letting and water that sloshes around going out this valve which should be closed except to clear the lines for winter.
On Motorhomes this is common to miss spotting it as it is down low and kind of back under a metal wall or sheild.
I think it is labeled as drain but it doesn't say "drain down under here" and is easily confused with the valve above!
Maybe give it a closer look?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:02 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Common problem on many Motorhomes. The routing of the overflow combined with the slashing of the water in the tank causes a siphoning effect thru the overflow. The fix by re-routing the overflow tubing and installing a vacuum brake is not practical on a lot of Motorhomes. Installing a shutoff valve on the overflow solves the water loss but dangerous. Damage can occur if you forget to open it when filling the tank.
ahamor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 09:58 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

As Ahamor01 just wrote in the previous post, I also installed a valve in the overflow drain on a previous RV. Once the water starts to run out the overflow cut off the water fill and then close the valve you just installed.

You can and WILL damage the fresh water tank if you let shore water pressurize the tank. That can happen even with the gravity fill if you leave the water hose in the fill tube and let it continue to run.

Walmart and Amazon have 7 gallon blue square portable water containers that are not overly expensive, under $20 each as I remember. They really help extend your dry camping stay.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 11:14 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I just built and installed an open ended loop off the overflow/vent line. The top of the loop (More like an "L") is about 1" higher than the top of the tank and I drilled a hole on the top middle point of the loop.

It seems to have stopped any significant siphon-age when I fill it, but I have not made a run to determine a reduction in water loss. I know I will still loose some, but hopefully the loss will be greatly reduced
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:24 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I too have a 2014 View 24v and I had the same problem with the vent tube behind the water fill location. This tube was mounted to low, it would drain/siphon water out just like yours. Luckily we were under warranty and the dealer fixed it by running this vent tube out next to the gravity fill, this fixed this problem. I don't think it would be a hard thing to do just drilling a hole and getting some tubing the same size and an end to hold it solid in your new drilled hole. Hope this helps.
paisleydale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 05:48 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. I’ll look into it ��!

Tags
fresh water, leak, water