Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-28-2023, 07:31 AM   #161
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuleTrainWm View Post
If Winnebago would put the Volta Pure Lithium system in the Navion/View, we would be customers for life. I loved the Travato 59KL because of the Volta system but needed more room.
Now that Winnebago has purchased the Lithionics company I’d doubt there will be any more Volta systems. But they’ll be replaced with Lithionics batteries which are reported to be excellent.

LFP batteries in general are such a game changer. Some day, when RV air conditioners get more efficient and battery system more capable and affordable things will really change for the better.
Old 04-28-2023, 09:38 AM   #162
Winnebago Owner

Living in San Diego where the electric rates are about triple the national average I have zero interest in electric vehicles.Cheaper to buy gas or diesel and I have a choice of where to buy it.
jayelldouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 09:53 AM   #163
Site Team

In Texas, power is much cheaper. But so is gasoline. So, perhaps it's equivalent. I don't know. (Electricity is $.6/kw during the cheapest hours and gas is $2.95).

We charge at home. Pretty much 100% of the time. So, I have complete choice in where the power for my electric car comes from. I do it in my garage. The EPA says we have 310 miles of range. We've seen between 290 and 325 from one charge due to weather and traffic variables.

I do have 2-years of free Charging at Electrify America fast chargers but we've only done that once - it took 20-min to go from 30% to 80% state of charge.

We've owned the BMW i4 since the end of October and have driven a little over 5,000 miles since then. We have set up the car to charge between 2am and 5am when power is about 1/3rd the cost of the same 3 hours 12 hours later. The car tracks all the charging and even the cost. But then I track it individually myself as well. The total electricity cost for 5,000 miles was just under $300.

We owned a similar BMW gas car before the i4, it got about 22 miles to the gallon. So, 5,000 mi in that car used about 230 gallons of gas. Gas prices have been up to $4 and down to $2.50 in the past years so it's hard to figure. Let's call it $3.30/gal on average. So, 5,000 worth of gas would have cost $759.

Driving the electric i4 has saved us over 50% over driving a gas car. I'd guess that you'd see the same 50% savings but with different numbers.

Our car is available with a gas engine OR all electric - the EV version did cost $3000 more BUT we also got the $7500 tax credit this year, too.