Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2018, 11:13 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Sorry to say, but most motorhomes are noisy; it's just the nature of the beast.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:56 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

We have a classic Class C with the usual cabover and it's on a Ford van chassis. The bulk of it's interior noise is from our stuff in it and how well or how poorly we pack it - NOT from any wind noise around the exterior.

Of course stuff stored in the oven and microwave MUST have sheet rubber cushioning material in between each loose piece to deaden sound. Stuff in the medicine and other cabinets must be packed so it can't shake around. Plates, silverware, pots, pans, bowls, bottles of cleaners, etc. must all be packed tight or have rubber sheets between each loose piece. Sometimes roof vents or their vent covers can be noisey - so keep them all closed up tight when traveling.

The list goes on and on. It's not rocket science to figure out what loose items might be jiggling around when traveling.

To me it seems a bit "silly" to use a louder radio to mask the sound from loose items. We even like our radio to be at a low level in the background when traveling - not trying to out blast the sounds of rattling items inside the RV.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:07 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

We have located any rattling of the rv to ensure everything is "locked down". there are times when we can hear the radio so I am contributing the noise to possibly road conditions. As someone else indicated, nature of the beast. And looking at the tires as well as someone else indicated that maybe the "stock" tires are contributing also. Thanks all!
Tuck2family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:40 PM   #24
2016 Winnebago Navion 24J

Our 24J had a bad front end alignment (excessive toe) and wore out the Continentals. We went with Michelin Defenders and it was an improvement. The biggest improvement comes from driving slower. Sixty is way better than seventy. I've never tried fifty five.... at least for very long.

We store pots and pans under the booth cushion next to the closet, and we have rubber placemats between every dish. Cargo noise is almost non-existent.

We are happy campers
MrMarog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:35 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise

I know this is probably not a solution for most owners however I recently got new hearing aids from VA. So what you say! Well, these tiny little things fit behind the ear, have a tiny little nylon line leading to the small soft speaker going in the ear canal, loose fit. Very comfortable. They also gave me a BT dongle that clips to my shirt. I connect to the phone and answer/make calls by speaking into that little dongle but it also streams music from the phone. Great and thanks to the VA for providing great equipment and new tech to vets. If you have aids from them ask about the new stuff if you haven't already. You can BT connect to your TV with a little unit as well. FWIW wife uses a BT headset connected to her phone as well but she does not have the aids to deal with. She is very happy I have new aids, not telling her to stop mumbling and the TV is not as loud now (turn it down etc.).
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:31 AM   #26
2016 Winnebago Navion 24J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck2family View Post
We have a 2017 View 24J. It is so loud when driving down the road, I feel like the windows and the road noise echos in the RV. Everyone says the noise depends on the road we are on. I agree with that however when you are driving its like 50/50 roads. We like to listen to books but its almost impossible to hear it, or only 50% of the time.

I wish the windows had better sound proof, I would have thought that would have been automatic. And the floor would be insulated better to help with the road noise.

Is anyone else having this problem? Do we need to upgrade the stereo? Any suggestions would be great! Its driving me crazy!
I too find it difficult to hear the radio when going down the hi-way. I just finished installing speakers with the intent of aiming them at my ears, and as near as possible. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

I used 2 Bose cubes that I had in my excess electronics pile, and modified the speaker housing to fit the complex corner.

I also added this handy tray.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180825_185747_resized.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	170193   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180825_190034_resized.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	170194  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180825_190930_resized.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	170195  
MrMarog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:16 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2018 View 24V and also love to listen to audio books. We tried ear buds but found them uncomfortable. Best way we've found is to connect our iPhone to bluetooth. That gives us plenty of volume. Some other fixes for rattles: We bought some Gear Snake in the camping section at Walmart. It's flexible orange tie down material that can be cut to length. We pull up the kitchen blinds and use a tie down on each end to keep them from rattling and bumping against the wall. We also use it to hook hangers together in the closet and in the shower where we hang some things. We bought Scotch brand clear locking "Extremely Strong" fasteners (kind of like Velcro, but not exactly) that we use on the bedroom blinds by pulling them down and attaching a small piece of the fastener material to each corner. It holds them in place and allows us to carefully "unfasten" them when we wish. We secure the other blinds with small chip clips also purchased at Walmart. Final tip is to pick up some inexpensive blue packing material at a U-Haul store and use it wherever things might be bumping together--between plates in cupboard, between items inside fridge, etc. Those fixes helped tremendously on our first big (5,000+ mile) road trip this summer!
ejpcos is offline   Reply With Quote