Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2017, 08:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Using View 24 without Winterizing in cold weather.

I'm planning on using my View 24 all winter (and winters here are serious). Will I be okay if I leave set the gas heat to something like 40 deg. or 50 deg. and keep the drain pipe heaters on? It will be connected to 110 all the time. Is there anything else I should be doing to keep pipes from freezing?

Thanks!
scott_see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:27 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Drain pipe heaters? I assume you are talking about the grey and black tank warmers - remember that you MUST have liquid in these tanks or you will damage them.

I'd suggest a small heater or light bulb in the wet bay to keep the temps above freezing.

If you have the Truma hot water heater with comfort setting (recirculate system) you could leave that on also.

I have been OK down to 18deg F. but not sure how low you can go safely.

It might be more cost effective to blow out the lines and use a bit of antifreeze between uses. If you are getting consistent hard freeze (below freezing day and night) winterizing is the way to go.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:41 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

So far, so good. I've kept the furnace on at 50 degrees and just put a small electric space heater inside so I don't burn through propane so quickly. It seems to have weathered a long stretch of temperatures in the mid 20's.

Yes, recirculating the water heater would be a good idea. That'll get some heat in the same spaces as the cold water.

And yes, I've put some water in the black/grey tanks. I did mean the tank heaters, quite right. I think the options list calls them something else.

I'm going to try to resist antifreeze since I do plan on using my RV off and on all winter long.

I'll keep ya'll posted.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:28 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

if it's getting below freezing you can also add some antifreeze to the grey and black tanks so you don't have to use the tank heaters. I use a 50/50 mix to flush the toilet when needed also.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

What I see with a lot of people who use their RV's over the winter is that they put some sort of wood or hard insulation around the outside to keep the wind from blowing underneath the RV. I would think that it would help with heating and keep things from freezing. That is if you are parking in one location for the winter or at least a long period of time. For me when I plan on using the RV after the first freeze I just blow it out and drain the system. Did that in October and yesterday put water in RV for a trip after Christmas. Took less than a hour to drain and blow out the RV and about 20 minutes to fill the tank, reinstall the filters the other day. When I get back I will put antifreeze in the system as I have nothing planned until Spring.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

So far I've had luck keeping an electric heater going in the middle of the cabin leaving the door to the head and galley under-sink door open to let the heat get to plumbing. I have the black/gray water tank heaters on. And I shut all shades and keep the hot water on. That's worked so far. Right now I'm out of town for a while, so I did empty all tanks and blow out the water lines with an air compressor set to 30 psi. And emptied the hot water heater.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBobbo View Post
...If you have the Truma hot water heater with comfort setting (recirculate system) you could leave that on also....
I've got the Truma hot water heater, but I'm not sure how to find out if I have the comfort setting. How can I tell for sure? That's a great idea as that would surely help protect the pipes.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:05 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

only takes about 20-30 minutes to blow the lines out with a small air compressor and then no worries. The cost of the propane and extra electric for one winter would more than pay for the compressor. Never know when that -20 weather will hit (one day it was 50 degrees here and fell to -16 overnight! brrrrr). Using the air makes it easy to fill the tanks and go whenever you want and only adds one more step when you get back home, otherwise you have gotten some good advice, just make sure the propane doesn't run dry and you are good to go.
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Truman comfort setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_see View Post
I've got the Truma hot water heater, but I'm not sure how to find out if I have the comfort setting. How can I tell for sure? That's a great idea as that would surely help protect the pipes.
Just open the Truma cover outside the RV.
as000ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:40 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Just curious, how low did the outside temperature get? I was boondocking in the Winnebago parking lot in Forest City last winter. The temperature got down to 10 degres at night. I kept the temperature inside at 55 degrees but my fresh water froze. Since then, I bought a small 250w space heater to put in the water bay but I have not tried it yet.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:14 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by as000ll View Post
Just open the Truma cover outside the RV.
I've done that to drain it, but how do I determine if I've got the comfort setting? Isn't special plumbing required for that? To circulate the water, right?
Old 02-08-2018, 12:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_see View Post
I've done that to drain it, but how do I determine if I've got the comfort setting? Isn't special plumbing required for that? To circulate the water, right?
There are different models of the Truma Aquago. On my 2017 View, when you open the outside door, there is a switch on the right to put the Aquago on, either in ECO mode or COMFORT mode. The COMFORT mode ensures that the water stays at least at 41 degrees F while the ECO mode ensures that the water stays at least at 41 degrees F.

I don't know if Winnebago ever installed the basic version of the Aquago which does not include the circulation pump.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:04 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

re: "when you open the outside door, there is a switch on the right to put the Aquago on, either in ECO mode or COMFORT mode."

In the manual I have, I'm pretty sure it says up or down do the same on thing. I'll have to do some more digging. I should be able to tell from the plumbing under the sink. There would have to be a return pipe if I've got the recirculating feature.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:51 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

One thing that's helped is a small heater in the water bay. : http://a.co/3kGtM7m Lasko My Heat Personal Ceramic Heater. It's 200W and small enough to fit comfortably in the power cord storage (same bay as water). With a small space heater in the cabin, the gray/black water tank heaters on, and the tiny heater in the water bay, I've had no problems with temperatures into the mid-20s.

Tags
cold weather, winter