Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2019, 10:18 AM   #1
Skywaterbanjo

Trying to decide - 2019 24G View

Hi,
I'm new to this forum. We are looking at the possibility of trading in our 2009 Fleetwood Icon for a 2019 24G and I have some questions that you all might be able to help with. In advance, thanks for any input.
1) I'm concerned about the compressor ref/frzr. Our Icon has a 2 way (120V/propane) ref/frz. It is extremely sensitive to level issues. Are the new compressor units as sensitive?
2) The video from Lichstinn shows the compressor ref/frz only works for 3 days in a dry situation. Seems unacceptable. I often go to bluegrass festivals for 5 or 6 days where running a generator is not an option. Any comments?
3) Would adding a 2nd bank of 200w solar rectify the ref/frz situation? If so, has anyone done that and, what was the cost?
4) are you happy with the overall build quality?
5) We're looking at the 24G, which has the rear queen bed slide. I see that WBGO is no longer offering that floorplan for 2020. Does anyone have insight as to why? Do you think it is a weight issue or a mechanical issue?
6) We will not tow but we often take bicycles. I read the thread on bikes and see that hitch mounts that rotate down are feasible. Any other comments?
7) We've looked at the Tiffin Wayfarer as an option but the OCCC is so low that it doesn't seem practical. Are there other brands you wish you had looked at?

Thanks for your help.

Mark in Colorado
skywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

1) No. They function like a residential compressor fridge. Level isn't a factor.

2) That video was shot in 2017. The battery capacity of the 2017/2018 models was pretty dire, based on the Napa 8240 (62Ah) maintenance free wet cell GR 24 as the standard factory install. To help our fridge, I added a 3rd panel up top (ZAMP 100W flex panel cost C$1000, done at my Winnebago dealer. You can do it cheaper yourself) to increase battery recharging function. You could increase the battery capacity by swapping in a better combination of 2 6V GC2 batteries in series, or go to a higher capacity 12V option. I plan on going lithium eventually, but for now the GR24 factory batteries have done the job for me. If you plug in to shore power, your fridge will also have no problems. Also, you can mitigate battery discharge by not leaving the propane enabled when not in use. Honestly, we've been fine on batteries so far.

3) see answer to 2)

4) Yes. It's better than most I've seen.

5) No idea, but I think the 24G is heavier than the J and V. I think the M is the heaviest with the full wall slide, but not sure.

6) We ride too, but pull our Wrangler for now. If we needed bikes at a destination, we'd buy a couple of cheap ones, I guess. If you go for groceries or to a watering hole, for example, you probably will need good bike locks, unless they let you bring them into the store or saloon.

7) No.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:56 AM   #3
Site Team

Member Kayak73 has posted a lot about the 24G and it's compressor fridge. He upgraded batteries posted about how that's worked out.

Check this thread for some details:
http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...4d-351663.html
Old 09-08-2019, 08:13 PM   #4
Skywaterbanjo

Thanks for the input. I'm still a little hesitant to change from something that works to something that immediately requires changes, especially for $150K.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:56 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Nothing is insurmountable. Add more solar (it's just the cost of a panel), replace the batteries with 6V golf cart batteries, and run the generator on cloudy days. There, your refrigerator questions are resolved. BTW, generator use is quite common at music festivals.

The G was dropped due to low sales. The J, V, and D (especially the D) are more popular.

You want something that works better? Order your 2020 View/Navion and option it with the Lithium battery pack and extra solar.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Rent one for two weeks...and check it out. We had a View and it was like a sail in the wind....yes I put over $4k in upgrades to the suspension, but it really didn't help.
wkfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:54 PM   #7
Taking it as it goes

Definitely look at Kayak73s posts on this.

I purchased a 2018 Navion with the new compressor fridge and, yes, it absolutely has issues and will require both mods and adjusting your camping behavior to a degree. No question I would give a lot to just have the trusted old absorption fridge that served me so well for many years. But, with some effort you can make the new system work. At least I have.

Here’s what I ended up doing. I installed an addition 170w rigid Zamp panel to the 2existing 100 w flexi panels. My 2018 model only had 2 crappy NAPA dual purpose 64ah batteries so I installed 2 Trojan 6v deep cycles in series for 240ahs. I also moved the Zamp controller to a place in the outside compartment closest to the battery compartment and put a Zamp remote in the interior control panel to be able to keep monitoring what’s going on from inside the coach. All of this came to about $1500 out of pocket. With these mods and the judicious use of energy for other things I have been easily able to camp for weeks without shore power and with only minor use of the genny. Granted, it still irks me to have had to pay for this and to still have to modify my camping behavior to a degree, but it is absolutely doable and allows me to make the coach work for us. But, and it’s a big but, you need fairly reliable sunny weather! I can go a few days with broken clouds, but much more than that and I’m cranking the genny.

What I can also say is that my previous coach was a Thor (so the comparison bar is low) and this Winnebago is so much better made and designed in every way with the exception of the solar power /fridge issues.

As an aside, my coach came with the more expensive diesel genny and I really really long to have my propane one back! It’s nice to use the same fuel as the coach but you are having to use propane for the stove anyway and my previous propane units were slightly quieter and emitted far less exhaust.
Free Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:26 PM   #8
Angry Fuse 23A owner

Instead of a View look at Leisure Travel Vans

I'm a highly disgruntled owner of a 2017 Winnebago Fuse who wishes he had spent the extra bucks on a Leisure Travel Van Wonder. I don't trust WBGO quality any longer.
SFC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:45 PM   #9
Skywaterbanjo

Well, here's a change. We're probably going for the 2020 24D, not the 2019 Q.

DI guess there are as many opinions as there are owners, some good some bad. I haven't seen the 2020 Winnebagos yet. I'm going to Lichtsinn a week from Friday to get a first hand experience. My biggest concern is still the battery/solar situation but I will talk with the Winnebago technicians about that. Thank you all so much for your input. If I could be comfortable with 6-7 nights of dry camping, I'd be a happy camper. Everything else about this coach looks reasonable. I like the new MB chassis and a lot of the 24D features. For how we will use it, the class B will not work. I would imagine that the Fuse build quality would not be the same as the View. Comments?

Thanks again for all of your comments. We are trading in a 2009 Fleetwood Icon 24D with only 22,000 miles. It has been a fabulous RV but I'm ready to move on from the corner bed.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:01 PM   #10
Taking it as it goes

Well yes, I imagine we’d all rather have had the the extra dough to go for the Leisure Travel Van or Coach House. If you have the resources, by all means do not hesitate.
Free Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:12 PM   #11
Skywaterbanjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Ranger View Post
Well yes, I imagine we’d all rather have had the the extra dough to go for the Leisure Travel Van or Coach House. If you have the resources, by all means do not hesitate.
Since I'm going to do this right the first time, a bit extra is not the challenge. It's the floorplan. We need the extra room. The Leisure Van looks great, though.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:56 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Red face Looking at a NEW RV think think think

A new model RV is 50 times worse than a new model automobile, due to experimentation and lack of engineering quality control add to that the lack of standing behind the product by the assembler bigly. Old saw but here is the bigger kicker. The new rig drops about 20 percent in value the day it gets driven off the lot yea talk about slimming the wallet, add to that the cost of unreliability, guinea pig or unwilling lab rat program enrollment if luck or just ignored is the standard practice unless you keep coming back to the yea dealer and or even the factory!!! So so many even go to the factory to pick up the mega buck rig and then camp in the parking lot or close to get the obvious bugs you know that were not caught by the assembler fixed pronto, but that does not catch any deficient engineering or weight issues of design etc etc. Been there done that a couple of times and learned expensive lessons. One more thing is the outgassing of the new build remember them FEMA trailers yes thats correct, they can spray perfumes to cover the fumes but its all in there.

Yes I still RV and have and do own em and one at this time as well.

Here is an article that is a very good and honest read.

https://www.curbed.com/2019/9/18/208...=pocket-newtab

All the best and may the RV GOD smile upon us and look after our safety.