Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-29-2018, 10:30 AM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiqidAdvntur View Post
After reading about Trik-L-Start, I purchased one for our 2011 View. I haven't installed it yet because the instructions seem to indicate that it works only with shore power. Is this correct? I was under the impression that it would use the house batteries to help keep the chassis battery charged.
You need a source of power to the house batteries to keep the chassis batteries charged. So solar or plug the coach into shore power, either works well.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:33 AM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by maasthor View Post
Hi; can someone explain; is there a way to attach a battery maintainer to the coach battery under the hood? when saying "the positive terminal under the hood will also work"... does that mean, you can attach the clamp of a battery maintainer to that, and then ground it somewhere under the hood to keep the battery charged while in storage? I'm wanting to avoid the use of the 12V. inside. I just don't like that idea; would rather directly charge and not having good access to the battery it's been confusing how to accomplish. thanks
You have two jump start pins under the hood (driver's side) that you could attach your trickle charger to. Check your Mercedes manual for the exact positions.

I prefer using a Tric-L-Start device and either using the solar charging system or plugging the coach in to do the same thing.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:31 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

I've been using the mentioned disconnect on my father-in-law's Navion that's stored here at my house in Michigan. Has been working fine, battery holds it's charge for weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sprinter-800[1].jpg
Views:	979
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	169238  

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:59 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

yes I have mine disconnected now; but will be stored for 4+ months so was looking to keep it on a maintainer. thanks.
maasthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:53 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by maasthor View Post
Hi; can someone explain; is there a way to attach a battery maintainer to the coach battery under the hood? when saying "the positive terminal under the hood will also work"... does that mean, you can attach the clamp of a battery maintainer to that, and then ground it somewhere under the hood to keep the battery charged while in storage? I'm wanting to avoid the use of the 12V. inside. I just don't like that idea; would rather directly charge and not having good access to the battery it's been confusing how to accomplish. thanks
There is a positive connection to the chassis battery under the hood. There is also a ground connection on the inside of the right fender. It looks like a brass rod. This is used for jumping. I am not sure if a trickle charger will work here or not.

Also, make sure you have turned off the propane switch as it draws on the chassis battery.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:26 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

Like others posted I purchase a Trik-L-Start. Until it arrived I plugged a battery tender into the lower 12VDC port on the dash. The Trik-L-Start is the simplest and easiest way to keep the chassis battery charged. It provides limited charge (no greater than 5 amps) to the chassis battery whenever the house battery charging voltage exceeds 13.2VDC. That means it works on solar or from the shore power OEM charger. Worry over. Install took less than 30 minutes. You do not need a special socket either, just use a 12 point 7/16" if memory serves, remove the seat, remove the foam cover above the electrical "stuff". I mounted mine inside the box, others prefer to mount it outside. I did appreciate having extra hands to move the seat back and off the bolt posts. I did disconnect the chassis battery near the throttle and used the disconnect switch for the house batteries until finished. Just use common sense and don't rush, it is probably the one thing that everyone does or thinks about doing to keep the chassis battery charged. Do a google and you will find several you-tube vids showing how to do it.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:38 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Again, Trik-L-Start with your solar and never worry again. I had the chassis battery go dead at 3 weeks fully connected, with 130w solar I have never had the issue since.
AZ7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:36 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Trik L Charge

I have the same set up on my 2008 24H it works perfectly.
Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 01:00 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

gents,

Good info, but, why cant i just bolt on a trickle charger plugged into my garage??
bebopboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 02:49 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebopboer View Post
gents,

Good info, but, why cant i just bolt on a trickle charger plugged into my garage??
Good point and some do but then after a while I got tired of having two things to charge two sets of batteries. and found the extra money for the Trik-l was worth it to do two things. One is that the Trik-l is very easy to add as it only needs to have some connection to positive and negative or ground to work. as far as setup for a permanent mount, the Trik-l is somewhat easier (how easy do you want to get? ) as it only uses very 3 small wires. One to any ground, one to positive of coach and the other to positive of the start battery or some point along the way.
For long term use, I now just plug the big cord in and it takes care of the coach battery and the Trik-l lets enough through to charge the start.

But you are totally correct in that one could figure a way to mount and wire a trickle charger in and then only need to plug the RV in to charge the coach and a second cord in to charge the start battery. No big thing but one is less trouble than the other. I have the RV here at home and it was just irritating to have two cords to do the job and mess with when coming home or leaving, so I like the ease of use when things are taking care of it.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:46 AM   #31
Winnebago Master

A useful feature of TRIK-L-START or AMP-L-START is that it will stop charging the engine battery if the charge on the coach batteries gets too low.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, chassis