Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2014, 08:22 AM   #1
JBP
Winnie-Wise

Trend Question to Winnebago

Just talked to Winnebago with the following questions:

1. I ask if the coach was pre-wired for roof mounted satellite system? They said that it is and that the roof maybe marked with the location to drill. If not they can send a template.
2. How low of a temperature can I operate the water systems? They said that as long as the coach heater is run and a temperature of 65 to 70 F is maintained in the coach you can safely operate down to the high teens or low twenties. The coach was tested to that at Winnebago.
3. Does the engine alternator maintain both coach and chassis batteries? Yes it will.
4. Will the generator maintain the coach and the chassis battery. No it will only maintain the coach battery.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post

1. I ask if the coach was pre-wired for roof mounted satellite system? They said that it is and that the roof maybe marked with the location to drill. If not they can send a template.
2. How low of a temperature can I operate the water systems? They said that as long as the coach heater is run and a temperature of 65 to 70 F is maintained in the coach you can safely operate down to the high teens or low twenties. The coach was tested to that at Winnebago.
3. Does the engine alternator maintain both coach and chassis batteries? Yes it will.
4. Will the generator maintain the coach and the chassis battery. No it will only maintain the coach battery.
We have a Tour so can speak to that model.
Our coach is prewired. I have been on the roof and there is a decal showing the exact location and depth to drill for the wiring. It has two leads available there.

While we were picking up our coach I spoke with a fellow with a 2013 Tour. He said he had been parked with the coach at -44 and the only thing that happened was the water filter was cracked. I would tend to avoid areas that had temperatures like that or add supplemental heating in the bays to keep the temperature above freezing.

We have had no issues with the engine keeping the coach and house batteries charged.

I am not sure about the generator as we have not used it much yet. It seems contradictory that the generator will not charge all of the batteries. Many people boon dock with their coaches and use the generator on a regular basis to charge the batteries for the days use.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

JBP None of the drawings for a 2014 Trend show coax for a roof mounted satellite. There is a coax for a portable satellite and cable in the shoreline compartment. The manual points to these as pre-wired for satellite.
Also from the wiring drawings they agree with your answer on 3 and 4.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post

Let me be the first to: :welcome:

You have posted great questions. But these are coach relevant. You have not posted your data so we don't know what RV you have.

My coach electrical system keeps all the batteries up. We often run the generator because we use Walmart as we travel from one volunteer assignment to another. All batteries charge.

A quick note about generator usage. It is important that it be exercised (run with about a 1/2 load) each month for about 20 to 30 minutes. Onan requires this to satisfy the warranty. This action keeps the lubrication up for the engine and dries moisture out of the components.

Happy trails to you and many of them.

Rick Y
Old 12-04-2014, 05:57 AM   #5
JBP
Winnie-Wise

Sorry the Model was in the Subject line. But it is a Winnebago Trend. It is the new very compact class C on the Ram-ProMaster chasis.

Grant & Pat
Thanks for the feed back. I will check with Winnebago again. He went into detail on the markings on the roof or that Winnebago can send a template if the marks have warn off. The markings are probably stand on most of Winnebago product line so he assumed that the Trend had them also. He should have looked it up.

Gordon and Janet
The Trend is much more basic coach than your Tour 42. You must pug the generator into the coach using the shore power cable for the gen to provide power to the coach.

Rick Y
That is a great point about the gen, Many people that I talk to don't know that the gen needs to be exercised monthly.
My other coaches have had heat pumps so even in cool weather I could get the load up. This coach is basic. It has a heat strip. I use the heat strip, make some coffee, and heat water in micro wave.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

JBP
You can purchase a device called a "Trik-L-Start" which will charge both house and chassis batteries when using the generator or on shore power. Simplistically, it redirects a portion of the coach's battery charger ouputto your chassis betteries. It is a good idea to get one so you don't find your starting battery pooped after a few days camping. It is standard on Winnebago Class A Diesels and you can easily install it yourself.
Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago Trend electical stuff

JBP I am a real newbie to RV's and particularly my Trend which I've had just a few weeks. Wondered if you might be able to tell me, under the front "hood" on the right hand side, the trend has two points that are called out when its required to jump start the unit. These are used to clip the positive and negative jumper cable leads. I'm wondering would these points also work for a place to attach the leads from my battery-tender to maintain my chassis battery during winter lay over.
This question comes up as a followup to another issue. When I first got the Trend, I wasn't able to drive it for several weeks. I was lead to believe after at least a week if I couldn't move it/drive it for at least a half hour, it would be a good idea to secure the battery in the coach with the switch. The chassis battery
under the driver's side floor board has a "quick disconnect" on the negative lead.
Easily reached, I disconnected that lead. No problem.
Two weeks later when I hooked everything up again, everything was fine except for the EVIC (Electronic Vehicle Information Center) It has to be reset when ever the chassis battery is disconnected. What a mutha lovin' pain that has turned into! The instructions given in the Ram Promaster user guide page 37 seem quite
easy to follow, but as yet while following them I am not yet able to program this infernal thing. So at the moment I'm rolling around with a date of Jan 2013 on the screen and at the bottom of the screen a constantly flashing electronic clock which is flashing an incorrect time by the way. I'm absolutely lovin' this!
Sooo, I'm thinkin' to keep my battery up gonna hook a charger to it, rather than disconnect it. And I need to figure out this cottin' pickin' EVIC before it drive's me nuts. Any help / ideas at all are most welcome.
mr mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:14 AM   #8
JBP
Winnie-Wise

Mike I have had the trend for about 10 months now and have never disconnected the chassis battery. I use the disconnect switch at the door to disconnect the coach battery.
Give Winnebago a call and ask them if it is necessary. Then please post it.
I start and run the generator every 30 days if the coach is going to be seating for a long time. Try to run it to 50% load. The heat strip helps in the winter.
I don't think that it is necessary to disconnect the chassis battery for that short of time.
The tabs under the hood was a new one for me. Thanks for the information.
I don't see many Trend owners out here. So I call Winnebago a lot. They are very helpful.
I have also had mine in to the Dodge dealer to have re-calls worked off. They did a great job and followed up with a call to make sure that I was happy.
I had to have the exhaust from the generator moved over by my Winnebago dealer is was resting on the chassis frame and make a lot of noise when it was running. Works great now.
Please keep posting this is very helpful.
Welcome to the site. Do you have the 23L or the 23B?
Old 06-03-2015, 11:06 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Reply to JBP / Jim & Pat, thanks for reply. Rest assured I'll be in touch! Lots of questions. I'll be running the generator, once a moth or so as you suggest. Read thats a good thing to do. I'l be calling Winnebago with my question , and will post what I learn. I have the 23L.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:04 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Trend questions to Winnebago

Hello JBP / Jim & Pat / and any other Trend folks. Today was a good day. First I called the folks at Winnebago using the owner relations number shown in my operators manual. My first question was "are the points identified as the ones used to hook jumper cable's too also used to hook the leads for a battery tender/charger during long layovers to keep the chassis battery up to snuff?"
"Yes they are" was the reply. That means that disconnecting the battery using the quick release disconnect under the floor board on the negative lead is available as an option. Otherwise without disconnecting anything a battery trickle charger can be used to maintain the chassis battery over long out of service periods. Perhaps some here already were aware of that. I wasn't so I'll include that here. With regard to reprograming the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) when I asked about that I was told to call Dodge as thats a chassis item. Their number by the way is 800-992-1997.
About that time, my bride asked me to run an errand, so when I got back, before calling Dodge, I decided to make one more attempt at reprograming the EVIC on my own. Hachi-bei was in a good mood today. Crawling into the drivers seat and turning everything on, I also turned on the radio to get some "tunes" while fiddling with the EVIC. Just by chance I noticed a button on the radio that says MORE. I pushed it and whaddya know! Programing the EVIC is a function of the radio. Page 37 in the small chassis manual never mentioned that.
Its as they say a "piece of cake" with the script on the radio screen taking you right thru the set up for date, time, milage,etc. Sooo, another of lifes lessons learned. Realy lovin' this camping car! I could hear Hachi-bei chucklin' as i walked away. Hope all of you had a good day also!
Old 06-04-2015, 07:35 AM   #11
JBP
Winnie-Wise

I should have mentioned the "MORE" button. I discovered on my last trip. I did not remember if information system button on there. But it does have other good information while you are traveling.
I talked to Dodge about service intervals on the chassis. They told me every 3500 miles or 4 months. I will follow this but think that it is based on a delivery truck not and RV. My DP was 10,000 miles or one year. My gas was 5000 miles or once a year.
I run about 8,000 to 10,000 miles per year. So this is going to be more of a challenge in the Trend.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Hello Folks. I'm also a new Trend owner. I've had four class A motorhomes and an Airstream. We've traveled all over the U.S. and parts of Canada, mostly staying in state and national parks. Because my wife wanted to share the driving, but was afraid of the class A, we downsized to the Trend two months ago, a new (2014) unit with the 23B floor plan. My only issue with the Trend is the noisy generator and air conditioner unit. I'm working on those problems. There is a safety recall, though, on the 2014 model year RAM ProMaster, in fact two recalls. One is Chrysler recall #P32 or NHTSA recall number 14V-294. It concerns possible leaks in the under-floor chassis battery box. The recall date is June 3, 2014. We are supposed to schedule a service date with a Dodge certified ProMaster center. They will waterproof the box. The other recall is Chrysler P62 or NHTSA recall number 14V-633. It concerns the Tire Pressure Monitor control module. I'm so new to my Trend that I don't even know is it has a TPM system! I got these recall notices from the RV dealer where I bought the Trend. I will schedule a service appointment as soon as I have a bit more free time. I hope this is helpful. komac
komac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:49 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Hi KOMAC, I also have those two safety recall bulletins you call out in your post.
Like you I will also be heading for the "Dodge Garage" at some point to have them attended to. Regarding the Tire Pressure Monitor control module. Do you know where that thing is located? Does this monitor have an indicator or something thats visible on the dash somewhere? I went through all the manuals that came with my Trend including the Chassis and operators manual. Couldn't find anything on the TPM. Guess I'll have to ask when I get there.
By the way are you planning to purchase one of those extended exhaust pipes for your generator?
Old 06-24-2015, 02:32 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

No, Mike. I checked with Cummins-Onan and was told that any modifications or additions to the exhaust system would void the warranty. The generator is noisy and I will have to accept that. We use the generator very little, almost always when we are stopping at a rest area or when we are in some shopping mall parking lot. I can't find the tire pressure monitoring system on my Trend. I'm not convinced it has one. I'll check when I get the battery case recall done at the Dodge dealer. Have a good day. Komac
komac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:37 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

komac, There is a telltale indicator on the Speedometer side of the instrument cluster. Balloon number 25.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RAM TPMS 2.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	98233  
Attached Images

grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:46 AM   #16
JBP
Winnie-Wise

Hi guys my trend had the recalls worked off in May. Took my Trend to Dodge/Chrysler dealer one day to get it done. I was concerned about them move an RV around and get it into their bays. They showed me all of the box trucks that were on the recall also. They walked around the coach with me to see that there was not any damage and repeated the process when I picked it up.
My generator was very loud also. I took it back to the dealer The dealer agreed. They found that the exhaust pipe was resting on a chassis frame member. They were able to adjust it so that there was clearance. This was a dramatic improvement.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:44 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Is this a great site or what? ! Thanks KOMAC / JBP for the followup. Good information. By the way, I'm hearing that more vin numbers have been added to safercar.gov with regard to those TAKATA air bags. The Trend has a bunch of air bags for its passengers, so I'll be checking to see if my number may have been added. You may want to do the same.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:29 AM   #18
JBP
Winnie-Wise

On the service chassis intervals I got in touch with Chrysler customer service. They had a had time answering the question. But finally found it in the owners manual. I guess I missed it. They said 10,000 miles but never over a year. So I decided I will use the same as all of my previous gas coaches of 5000 mile and annually.
I don't believe that my 2014 Trend has a tire monitoring system. If it does I can not find it.
I had the dealer look into my generator excessive noise. They found that the exhaust was touching the frame. They were able to move it enough to get clearance. This improved the noise substantially.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:33 AM   #19
JBP
Winnie-Wise

GRTHARRIS I will check to see if mine has it. Sorry I should have read the top of page two.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:49 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Smile what size do I need?

Hi KOMAC and JBP , hope every one is enjoying the 4th of July. I'm home, enjoying the day and "putzing" around the trend before heading out to the fireworks show later. Just have a quick question for anyone that can help....
Next week I gotta purchase a pottable water hose for hooking up to city water.
Don't laugh, what size hose fits the water fitting on the trend?
Thanks for the help!

Tags
winnebago