Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2019, 06:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Transfer switch on 24v

Here we go again. My husband is trying to install a transfer switch on our 2016 Winnebago View 24v. This is to eliminate the need to go outside to switch the power over.
He has the equipment but is having trouble installing it. Has anyone else out there done this? Any suggestions?
Would appreciate any help.
Darlene
Catskillgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:10 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Other than really tight space to install it, what are his problems? There are only 9 wires to hook up - three into the coach, three from the generator, three from the shore power cord.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:04 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I haven't done it on a 24v but I did replace the one on my 35U. The biggest issue he may run into is that the wires may not have much play in them. He can probably get a little more by gently pulling on the wires. The other issue is that the ends of the wires might be a little too distorted from their original mounting to easily slip into the new terminals. If the wires are long enough, it's best to snip off the ends and strip the insulation for new ends. If not, some gentle work with some pliers should help.

When inserting the wires into the new terminals, a pair of long-nosed pliers can be easier than fingers. Sometimes, pre-bending the wires into an "L" shape helps get them into the terminals.

Label all the wires ahead of time as to which terminal they go to on the transfer switch and draw a good diagram for reference. Work slowly and carefully, triple checking everything before applying power. It's important that the terminal screws are torqued down tight on the wires in order to avoid future problems.

I don't know the configuration of where and how you're mounting the transfer switch but a plywood mounting board may be necessary or easier. I found it easier to mount the switch to a board larger than the switch and then mount the board to the coach after attaching attach all the wires to the the switch. Make sure that the wires are adequately secured outside of the transfer box to avoid any movement.

Finally, mounting the switch and/or board is a lot easier with a power drill/driver than by hand.

There's a good photo of a securely mounted transfer switch here:

Transfer switch 50 amp - iRV2 Forums

Good luck.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thank you Bob for all your help. My hubby found a neighbor who was a retired electrician and the two of them got the deed done. The biggest problem was the tiny space they had to work in. My husband's hands and arms are less mobile due to nerve damage. In spite of that it looks like the operation was a success.
Thanks again
Old 10-13-2019, 11:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for responding. The main problem was indeed the small working space and my husband has limited use of his hands and arms due to nerve damage. He found a neighbor with electrical experience and the two of them got the job done..
Thanks again.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Was going to recommend/install a plug and play transfer switch like the Go Power GP-TS30 but I'm not sure if it's suitable for the View/Navion application.
Looks simple enough.

https://www.amazon.com/Go-Power-GP-T...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catskillgal View Post
Thank you for responding. The main problem was indeed the small working space and my husband has limited use of his hands and arms due to nerve damage. He found a neighbor with electrical experience and the two of them got the job done..
Thanks again.
That's the best solution!
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch, transfer switch