Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2019, 08:12 AM   #1

Question Trade B for C

We have a 2016 Era 170X and are thinking about pros and cons of trading for a USED Winnebago class C. We would like just a bit more space but like driving the Era. And I know that we always want the next larger vehicle.
Could I still avoid a tow vehicle, and would length affect that?
What year (range) and models might I find if I want to trade pretty much even up? For example, 2015 View, 2016 Winnie, etc.
Nike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:28 PM   #2
JBP
Winnie-Wise

We have owned several Class C and one Class B. We currently own our second Trend. I use it much like I did our class B. I elected to sell our second car and I use my trend in town for errands. I am retired so most of the time wife and I go together and us the car.
Winnebago has stopped the Trend line. I believe that the new Ford Fuse is going to replace it.
My experience has been that any of the 24 foot or less can be used as a second vehicle. The one major caution is height. Most are under 11ft. My Trend is 10ft 1 to the highest point.
I don't find width or length a major problem.
Hope this helps.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:27 PM   #3

It does help. Thanks for taking the time.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:43 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

We just picked up a private party 2014 View and although many owners say they don't need a towed we will be taking ours along almost every time.
We find it easier to setup the MH and camp, and just buzz in and out using the towed.
We equipped the towed many years ago, and although we may loose 1-2 MPG with it behind us we can't complain since our new to us View gets at least double the MPG's than any other MH we've ever owned.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:55 PM   #5

6Thanks. Good perspective.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I bought my new 2012 Itasca Navion iQ in May 2012. It’s my first RV. I drove it without a toad for almost 4 years. When set up at an RV Park or campground, I didn’t want to have to disconnect to travel to local sights or go to the store. I missed a whole lot. In 2016 I finally “saw the light” and got a 2013 Honda Fit. What a feeling of liberation I had and have enjoyed seeing so much more in my travels. I’ve put 52,000 total miles on it. I sure wish I had the toad in those early years. There’s no way I’d travel without it now.
Sandi
Old 01-20-2019, 07:22 PM   #7

Thanks for the input.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:43 PM   #8
Living The Dream

We’ve had more than a dozen years enjoying all of this RV Life and are gone away from home typically more than half the time each year. Other than the 3.5 years we had our Class A Tiffin (really loved it, but our traveling behavior didn’t match it well), our days and nights have been spent in a View or Navion.

We have always had a toad, always dragged around four-down when we felt the need to take it along. A Scion xA for a while, a Mini Cooper for a while, and the past 6+ years with a Ford Escape. Sometimes we take the toad, and sometimes we don’t, depends on the trip plans.

Here’s our advice regarding your change from a B to a C

Evaluate your future traveling behavior, are you moving from place to place frequently, like every couple of days? If so, a smaller Class C and no toad might work. If some or most of your trips involve longer stays, then something that can handle a toad would be better ... but you can leave the toad behind if you want and pop around in the smaller C. If you get a bigger C, or like we did a Class A, then a toad is almost required. As we’ve discovered, FLOORPLAN is hugely important!

Anyway, hope that helps. Remember, your traveling behavior might change over time, so plan ahead (like we didn’t for a while, but hopefully have now, fourth time is a charm).
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:04 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

C is the way to go

We have really enjoyed our 2011 View Profile for the past 5 years! No toad so far but we do bring my foldable electric bike which comes handy getting around the campground or a nearby town for errands and also it’s a lot of fun. Otherwise we just unhook for longer side trips and never had problems with parking.
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:32 AM   #10
Pensioner

Kind of a later reply here, but our 2015 Itasca Reyo (25’) diesel does exactly what you are inquiring about. If it is just the state park for the weekend we leave the toad at home. If we go for an extended stay we pull a Chevy sonic. 14.5 mpg with the toad on this last trip. Unfortunately selling due to medical reasons.
SnKPerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 01:46 AM   #11
Site Team

I still am 100% happy with my Minnie Winnie 22M. At just 3' longer than my Crew Cab truck, I can park it in many places, especially when I can back-in with the large overhang, in parking spots that have grassy areas behind the pavement. I did order the E-450 frame, as it gives me plenty of payload capacity to haul my boat or my motorbike. While not the luxury of a Toad, the motorbike carrier is very easy to use:
http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...2m-354205.html
Eagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:44 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

This is our second View, several rigs in between. First View we went about three years no towed then added a 2009 Honda Fit. That Fit was dragged over 100k miles and driven about 110k miles until it breathed a long sigh and was put to rest at the Subaru dealers lot where we picked up an '18 Forester with manual shift tranny. I have got the stuff in hand to set it up to tow and hopefully get that done in the coming weeks. You can travel in a C rig with no tow, you will miss a lot of convenience and touring around to see the sights. I love travel without a towed but then I hate not having one. We rented as needed those first three years and that did work. It depends on your "mission" and where you are headed and intend to do. DW drove the Forester this last trip, glad she did, we had a vehicle to drive around while at the Cove and the Tellico. The bears were out, one young Momma with fresh cubs curled up under a tree nursing just 20 yards from us in the car! Water was running at the Tellico pretty high, more water than I've ever seen at Bald River Falls and I got to watch a few kayakers do the ledges and Baby Falls (my favorite run when younger and whitewater freak). That's why you need a tow vehicle - to see stuff.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote