Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-15-2018, 09:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Surge Supressor for Navion/View

For those interested in adding a Progressive Industries Electrical Management System (EMS-HW30C; not "just" a surge suppressor) to the Navion/View. The pictures show you what I was able to do to fit it inside the shore power cable compartment (yes, I opted for the version that is integral to the cabin, vice the "portable" version you plug into the shore power connection).
Basically I had my electrician friend Billy remove the existing junction box that connects the shore power cable to the cabin power cable, and lower the generator power plug down as far as it would go. Then we connected the EMS to the bare wires for the cabin and the shore power cable (no cutting of wires was needed!) and mounted it above the generator plug. Everything still fits just fine and I've put velco stickers on the end of the EMS so I can view the small readout monitor that comes with the unit. It is a tight fit, but Billy was able to get it all installed.
This has worked out fabulously. If you are in the San Diego area, I can put you in touch with Billy to install this in your RV as well (now that we've done it once, the rest are much easier).
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:18 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I put the hardwire unit in our View as well. Posted photos on the sister forum. I left the power OEM box intact, moved it above the generator box, put another piece of plywood above the existing piece and mounted the EMS vertically jammed next to both existing boxes. I put an 18" power cord into the input side of the EMS, the output went to the original power box. Now you plug the 18" piece into the generator box or the long power cord. Sounds easy to me, took a while though but I am very happy with the end result. I can see the display, read the voltages and check for error codes without getting down, just open the door and look. In fact the install I did involves no velcro, lost no space at all and it cost a few drops of blood and scrapes, a few smurf words, a few beers and I finished with a double shot of Woodford or Knob Creek, can't remember.
Important thing is you got it done! EMS is the best peace of mind when in travel mode in varying camp facilities.

Next thing is to get the Cole Hersey 200 amp solenoid installed, have not done it yet, should have when I put in the Trik-L-Start.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:03 PM   #3
HFA
Winnebago Camper

EMS Install

That's what I did. I put an input and output wire on the EMS before installing it. I then attached those wires to the corresponding wires in the junction box. I mounted the EMS and the display in the utility area above the generator outlet using mounting tape. Works great for me.

HFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:54 AM   #4
HFA
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFA View Post
That's what I did. I put an input and output wire on the EMS before installing it. I then attached those wires to the corresponding wires in the junction box. I mounted the EMS and the display in the utility area above the generator outlet using mounting tape. Works great for me.

Here's a link to the picture in the Gallery:
http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/members/220605-albums101-picture546.jpg
HFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

This is a pretty easy DIY job for anyone comfortable with changing a 120v outlet at home, just make sure you're disconnected from shore power, read the instructions, make sure all connections are tight and double check everything before re-connecting to shore power.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:40 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
This is a pretty easy DIY job for anyone comfortable with changing a 120v outlet at home, just make sure you're disconnected from shore power, read the instructions, make sure all connections are tight and double check everything before re-connecting to shore power.
Bob,
Yes, in a larger coach it is a very easy job, maybe 30 minutes. I've put an EMS in every coach listed in sig line. Now when you look at a 2018View24D electrical compartment and install a good EMS setup it is worth bragging about That's because I wanted to keep every square inch of space in the compartment possible and not impede access to the external solar panel connector etc. It really changes things when you must work in a space less than one sq. ft. There you go, it took me a long half day or more to get my EMS installed this time. Happy with the results, skinned knuckles at all. So while this is not my thread I understand WHY the OP posted his info, he got 'er done in that tiny space Yeah, in our DP it really was a 30 minute job but it had a cavernous electrical bay, I could crawl in there almost.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I know what you mean. I originally installed mine in a 25' Nash TT. I had to splice it into the incoming shore power cord under an inside cabinet in very limited space. Compared to that, my 35U was a cinch.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote