Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2019, 07:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Surge Protector Install

The Dealer installed a progressive industries EMS 30 amp surge protector. They placed it flat against an interior wall of the power cord bin. Problem was, it was hard to see unless your craned your neck sideways.

I removed it and attached it to a hinge from Home Depot. Now it swings over To face me when I want to read it and swings back out of the way when I don’t. $2.50 and 15 minutes .

2018 Navion V
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B9365C18-729C-4AB3-A3F9-A47547F2E15C.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	171848   Click image for larger version

Name:	D0602248-DCE6-4A8D-9CC8-6446FF2E19C2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	171849  

Click image for larger version

Name:	5963E630-CF5F-43BD-BF58-71B2BC5A28AF.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	171850   Click image for larger version

Name:	E1F6AA26-E733-4188-B5DB-D46E6F8CA263.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	171851  

Old 07-03-2019, 09:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Very clever. I've got a 50 amp Progressive and didn't look forward to trying to route the readout to the power center. That's so simple! And really, the only time I really need to look at it is when there's a power problem and that's generally going to be outside.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Excellent idea!

Al
Old 07-03-2019, 01:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Exactly! I guess I could have cut off the 3rd hole in the hinge but, it doesn’t hit anything and you can’t see it.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:52 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I eliminated all of that pain and just use the Progressive PT-30X portable EMS system.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Great idea, would have thought our RV manufacturers would get the drift and install it as part of a pkg or standard equipment! Its a wonder the fuel filter is on there ooops that comes from the chassis maker so the assembler did not have to put their heads together on that one.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Padlock hasp works however the dealer was lazy not routing the remote display panel to your OnePlace. Who wants to step outside to do a simple check of the monitor especially if its late at night and raining. All that does is give you a voltage readout and the option to bypass in case you have a brown out. Why put a remote control and readout panel outside in a bin next to the actual unit?
Old 07-11-2019, 03:17 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Because all I’m looking for is to make sure that there’s nothing wrong with the pedestal hook up. Having it in the power supply been allows me to establish that immediately. Once you’re plugged in and have confirmed that everything is fine, there is rarely going to be a change in the output from the pedestal. So, I didn’t feel the need to have it in the coach. What do you do? Do you open the one place cabinet door every 10 minutes and check your voltage?
Old 07-11-2019, 06:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Gee View Post
Because all I’m looking for is to make sure that there’s nothing wrong with the pedestal hook up. Having it in the power supply been allows me to establish that immediately. Once you’re plugged in and have confirmed that everything is fine, there is rarely going to be a change in the output from the pedestal. So, I didn’t feel the need to have it in the coach. What do you do? Do you open the one place cabinet door every 10 minutes and check your voltage?

I camp where there are constant brown outs where voltage levels that will damage your coach for hours on end can and will hit well after initial hook up which is usually late at night while its raining and this basically describes the majority of campgrounds in the US. Having the ability to respond to those many events and hit the bypass judiciously from inside the coach without going outside in the dark or rain can be a wonderful thing.

There realistically is no check once as power system output changes constantly with some power systems accepting up to a 15% variance as acceptable which gets further compounded by very poorly designed/maintained campground power distribution systems that have trouble carrying the load as their sites get filled and people throughout the campground turn on their electric cooling, cooking and entertainment devices, breakers in power poles start to heat up, etc.

If you've so far only hooked up at camps with relatively stable and consistent power count yourself truly blessed as this is not the norm across the US.

I at times run a mobile office providing 24/7 support and the power conditioning Uninterruptible Power Supplies for the computers can be sounding alerts a few times an hour to almost constantly when conditions are really bad. Having the UPS devices sounding warnings as voltage levels rise and fall throughout the day was a real eye opener as was being able to see a voltage monitor show real time how close voltage levels dropped to damaging near automatic shutdown levels constantly throughout the day and night.

After a while you begin to see a pattern develop where a few days of the alarms going off as power fluctuates is usually followed by a number of campers mentioning that their Air Conditioners start capacitors failed, they lost a compressor, fried the contacts in their transfer switch so forth and so on. After I installed a voltage correction transformer we have not had such failures in over 10 years and the readout of incoming voltage is just informational warning you if levels are getting dangerously close to where voltage correction will no longer be able to keep up.

My One Place thankfully is not hidden behind a door and is centrally located at eye level so when problems arise its visible. Having a door covering the One Place to me is like having one that hides the instrument panel in the cockpit. I would be one of those who would remove any door hiding the One Place panel and its readouts.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:03 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Great idea Larry. I had the dealer install the same Progressive unit in my View and specifically asked for it to be installed on the back wall out of the way. They did a wonderful job at Lichtsinn but the display was also very hard to see.

I built a small angled wooden block and mounted it with Command strips just above the junction block. After 18 months, it's still there and easy to see with nothing moving around and rattling (I have a new career chasing down rattles and noises in this unit! )

I've also posted a picture in my profile
Old 07-11-2019, 04:41 PM   #11
NXR
Winnebago Owner

In case you're not aware, Progressive Industries does make a remote display so you can have one outside and one inside. It seems to just let you switch to one or the other and not have both active at the same time. https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-rds

I just installed the EMS-50 hard-wired unit and put the display outside so I could see if there were any issues as opposed to going inside and seeing dark. The remote display is $91 on Amazon so I'll probably pass.

Ray
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:12 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Neil, can you give me any specifics on which “voltage correction” device you purchased? I’d like to check it out!
Old 07-12-2019, 04:54 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Progressive surge display

May not be important if you are only using at GOOD fixed power sources. HOWEVER you are missing several important conditions when you can not readily read important electrical demand information (you paid for it, you should use it):
Generator, reading ampere and frequency allows you to distribute/sequence loads to prevent damage (30 amp exceeded w/ AC-Heat + microwave + electric water heater) reading instantaneous ampere allows staging electrical loads.

Fixed power source: someone has already mentioned brown outs (prior to brown out failure) frequency is reduced below 60 hz without recognizing any equipment faults. The monitor will instantaneously indicate time to disconnect. Waiting for surge protection/low voltage function disconnect could be too late.

Several occasions I have connected to an excellent power source at 5PM by 7PM several 50 AMP big rigs have reduced voltage and correlating hz which can cause extensive damage. The monitoring allows me to reduce my load and critically sensitive electronics until electrical stability returns around 9PM.

Alaska/Canada: several campsites had 15 AMP service only, watch your monitor permitting you to prevent midnight tripping event.

Looking only at the instantaneous static loading at initial connection is A GREAT BENEFIT, However you are under utilizing a valuable tool $$$
Retired FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:08 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired FF View Post

Looking only at the instantaneous static loading at initial connection is A GREAT BENEFIT, However you are under utilizing a valuable tool $$$
You make a valid argument. Regarding generator use, I’m not relying on some campsite’s power source I am relying on my own. I’m thinking WInnebago probably thought this through and out the right size generator in there for 99% if user applications. I’ve been RVing for over 30 years and never once have I had the need to run all of the appliances you mentioned, AT ONCE.

Regarding the monitoring for brown outs. You are right again. However, I take risks every time I get behind the wheel.

Not going to have much fun camping if I’m going to spend my hours staring at a display screen waiting for low voltage situations. Might as well stay home and watch TV. I’ve done what I can to help minimize the risk. I’m not going to fret about it. That’s why I pay insurance premiums.

Very good explanation by the way!

Tags
install