Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2019, 07:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Successful Cold Weather Use While Skiing NOT WINTERIZED

Prior to purchasing our 2019 Minnie Winnie 22r I spent an insane amount of time (won't admit how much) researching what others do when using their smaller class c rv's in the winter without winterizing. I never found exact answers but mainly opinions from some who never camp in higher elevations.

Well I have 2 successful trips to Stevens Pass Ski resort camping at their slope-side rv park which has 30 amp plugins and we are going back this weekend.

First trip the temp only went down to 28 or so at night and we had one medium sized electric heater running in between the sink and dinette pointing towards the back of the coach.

Second trip it hit 15 one night and 17 the other night! For this trip i purchased another electric heater half the size of the other. I left it in the bathroom and kept the door closed at night. I did this since their are plumbing lines running up the exterior wall of the shower and I needed to "bake" the bathroom to ensure they didn't freeze.

We do have tank heaters from Winnebago along with dual pane windows which are clutch for blocking as much cold as possible. I did put rv plumbing antifreeze in the black and grey tanks just to be safe but not a lot.

As soon as we parked I flipped on the hot water heater and left it on until we left to go home.

On the drive up the mountain I made sure to turn on the tank heaters right around the time the temp hit freezing (maybe overkill). I only use the tank heaters plugged in, driving, or with the generator running.

When my wife and I got back to the RV we hung all our winter gear in the bathroom with the small heater going and the bathroom roof vent cracked open an inch or so. Only took about an hour or so to dry off all our equipment and clothes.

We have a small amazon purchased dehumidifier which I always leave on while camping in cold weather.

One thing I haven't purchased yet is a front windshield cover/insulation shade and side window covers in the front seat area. The front gets the most condensation in the RV. Rarely do I have condensation creeping up more than an inch on the interior windows of the livable area. This all usually dissipates during the day while we are skiing. I leave the heaters set to high and the dehumidifier on. Normally when we come back all the condensation is gone.

Last thing....leave all cabinet doors open. Under sinks, overhead cabinets, and leave storage drawers cracked open a few inches. This will ensure heat is being distributed as evenly as possible inside for all plumbing.

I think that's all I can speak for with my experience in cold weather un-winterized. We used the coach just like we would in the summer starting with a full fresh water tank.

Sorry for the long story....just thought I would share my experiences of cold weather camping in our new minnie winnie.
skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the info. We have an Aspect 30J. Plugged into power on our property and always run dehumidifier. Going to get really cold Monday...20s. I use gas heat instead of electric in cold weather and open under sink in bathroom and kitchen. I've never opened upper cabinets. How does that help since no plumbing in upper storage. Thanks for any info.
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Condensation forms along the top exterior walls of the upper cabinets. If I don't open them up ice forms where the condensation is if the heat doesn't get there. At least that's why I open them up.
skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Ok. I've never had a condensation problem maybe because dehumidifier runs continuously. It's a 50 pint and I dump it every two days...usually full. We live on the coast in the South so rarely gets this cold. I'll open upper storage just to make sure ok. Thanks for the quick reply!
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

skibum wrote ................ " I did put rv plumbing antifreeze in the black and grey tanks just to be safe but not a lot."

Thanks for the "voluntary" and informative post. It was an enlightening read for me (and many others, methinks.) The reply posts were great too.

I replaced the damaged tank heaters on my "used" coach ........ mainly so I would have protection IF I ever got caught in a surprise cold weather event. One thing I noted was that the mfr of the new pads stressed that one should always have at least 2" of liquid in the tanks. Reason: If not enough liquid, the thermostats (built in to the heaters) will cycle too quickly/often and early "wear out" will occur. Since even the original pads were an extra cost option to the original owner of my coach (typical, I believe) there was no mention of this in any of the WGO literature. Just thought I would mention that ............. but you might already be aware.

Safe travels..................
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:04 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Light Bulbs

Another you can do is to install electrical outlets through a GFI in the sewer compartment and where the water pump is and then with a light bulb adapter insert a 60 Watt bulb. I have them in three compartments and they do the trick. Also with the outlets there if it gets to cold you can put in a ceramic cube heater. Make sure you don't leave the thermostat wide open as it will get too hot there.

Another thing if you have to use the toilet flush it with rv antifreeze. I usually carry 2 gallons of RV antifreeze (pink stuff) if I'm going to be out for any length of time.

With these newer coaches camping and?or skiing in the winter is doable but you have to be vigilante as to not damage the plumbing and always have a full tank of propane .

Enjoy!!!!!!!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather, winter