Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2019, 09:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Steering Stabilizer Recommendations

I’m pulling a 17 enclosed trailer behind my new 2019 E-350 MW 22M. The V-10 MW does an amazing job pulling and stopping the trailer. I would like to get some feedback and suggestions about everyone’s experience with the steering stabilizers that are available. I just started doing my research and there are a lot of options. When I pull the trailer, I’m really having to drive with 2 hands and get up on the wheel. It’s a handfull. With the normal side profile of the RV and a 17 foot long, 7 foot high kite in tow, I’m getting blown around a lot. When the big rigs drive by out here in California at 70+mph in the fast lane on I-5, I’m getting pushed all over the place. If a steering stabilizer would improve my driving experience and increase the safety, I would like to add a unit. If anyone has installed a unit on a MW, I would enjoy the opportunity to hear about your results.

Thanks, Allen
Old 04-24-2019, 08:47 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Steering stabilizers are more for safety purposes in case of a front wheel blowout. What you need is more sway bars. Start with the rear and if needed, add a new one to the front as well. Do you have a sway control hitch? If not, add one of those as well.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:22 AM   #3
Site Team

Actually, I wouldn't say that a steering stabilizer is just for safety for a blown front tire. The vast majority of folks add a steering stabilizer to gain better control over their steer wheels - all the time - including during a blowout. Luckily, such blowouts are rare. But white knuckle driving, unfortunately, isn't.

We installed the Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer. It's cleverly named RSS, but even though the name is obvious we find it does a great job of calming down wheel control motions for every day driving.

Other items that would help - the stabilizer would probably help but not be enough - would be a rear trackbar and bigger sway bars. But you probably want a sway control hitch on the MW, too.

You may find that a 17' trailer being pulled by a 22' Minnie Winnie is just not very controllable due to the short wheelbase of the MW no matter what additions you make. But a steering stabilizer is a good place to start. As long as you realize that it can't work miracles.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I want to thank you guys for the feedback. The MW does an exceptional job towing the enclosed trailer. I don’t even know it’s back there during normal driving conditions. In the wind it’s a different story. I carry a very light payload of Gas RC raceboats in the trailer. I read some information that Ford and Winnebago do not align the front in. I will do that first. I will review the RSS. Thanks, Allen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C8B24410-E649-4E4F-90DC-2460840147F7.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	328.0 KB
ID:	171458  
Old 05-07-2019, 07:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I just had the front end aligned today. The camber needed to be adjusted. Very noticeable change in how the MW drives down the road. Still wanders around. I went ahead and ordered the rear track bar and Safe T Plus kit for the front from SuperSteer. A local RV dealer will do the install. I will post my results.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I had the track bar and Safe T Plus stabilizer installed this week. It’s works really well. Between the front end alignment and the suspension upgrades, I literally can drive down the road with one hand. Now I’m ready to teach my wife how to drive the 22M.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Do you have a load leveler on the trailer and an anti-sway bar? If you don't have the anti-sway bar you probably noticed when someone is coming up behind you they break your draft and the trailer will sway a little side to side. The load leveler just keeps everything on the same plane.

Safe-T-Plus is a good product and good customer service. You didn't go wrong there.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Hello Wayne. I do not use or need the load leveler on the trailer. It’s a 17 foot tandem axle trailer. It’s probably only 3k pounds loaded. The Safety Plus has completely changed the driving experience. I barely feel the big trucks passing the MW with the trailer. I can drive now with one hand. Allen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8A8386CF-3FE7-4BE9-96A9-2311055D08EB.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	321.1 KB
ID:	171664  
Old 06-01-2019, 12:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Times two on the Safe T Plus!!!!!! Had one installed on our Tour AD and it made a world of difference. Much more stable and no more white knuckles. Worth every penny! Never leave home without it, lol!!
Bago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:02 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Researching steering stabilizers. Need advice on the different ones available. Safe T Plus, RoadMaster, or Tru Track? Winnebago Brave 27B, Ford F53 chassis
Me302cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:21 AM   #11
Site Team

I think they are mostly about the same. I have the Roadmaster and it works fine. I've not heard of TruTrack so I looked it up. I looks like something different than a steering stabilizer.
Old 01-25-2022, 03:12 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

part info

I have the same issue with my 2019 MW 22R. can you provide me the exact parts that you installed for the steering and the rear track bar so i can be sure to get the right one?
MW22R2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 05:20 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Following - I'm picking up our 2019 22M soon and plan to stop at the Saf-T-Plus factory right outside Atlanta on the way home to get one installed. Its $545 with a free factory install. Yes you can get the stabilizer for around $400 but I can't install it and I've found not many places know how to align them properly. On my 2015 F53 chassis class A I got a steering stabilizer, sway bar and track bar from this place. Highly recommend them.

https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/
Old 01-25-2022, 05:21 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW22R2019 View Post
I have the same issue with my 2019 MW 22R. can you provide me the exact parts that you installed for the steering and the rear track bar so i can be sure to get the right one?
Yes, I will find my receipt this weekend that is in the RV and post it for you.
It makes a world of difference. I can now drive with one hand on the arm rest.
Allen
Old 01-26-2022, 08:16 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

This past Summer we went to Bremen, GA and had the IFS Safe-T-Plus installed on our 2015 Tour.

Great place, and great services. There is a Jellystone RV Park a short distance from the factory. Stayed the night and had the RV at the factory around 8 a.m. the next day. Waiting room is nice and pets are allowed. It was not a long wait, and the test drive was great. Technician rides in coach and after pulling over in a safe spot makes small adjustments and does this until running true without having to touch the wheel on level ground. Great product, great service and great Staff.

They stated that they are in the process of adding full hook-ups in the back of the facility for those who are having service there, so call and make an appointment and ask if the RV "park" is operational yet. Of course, things do change so Jellystone is a good option.

Say hi to Kath for me.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering