Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2019, 07:22 PM   #1
Aspect 30J

Speed Warning while driving

I have posted this on another forum as well...

I have a 2015 Aspect 30J with the Ford V-10 and a 5 speed transmission.
On 3 different occassions, I have gotten a verbal "Speed Warning" through the radio while driving. On these occassions, I was not overreving the engine and driving in a 55 MPH speed limit and 62 - 63 MPH in a 65 MPH. It doesn't occur frequently, but it's startling to hear it when it does happen.

Any suggestions or solutions ?

No I didn't have WAZE on my phone activated !!!

Thank you for any assistance,
MovingMann
MovingMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:31 PM   #2
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMann View Post
I have posted this on another forum as well...

I have a 2015 Aspect 30J with the Ford V-10 and a 5 speed transmission.
On 3 different occassions, I have gotten a verbal "Speed Warning" through the radio while driving. On these occassions, I was not overreving the engine and driving in a 55 MPH speed limit and 62 - 63 MPH in a 65 MPH. It doesn't occur frequently, but it's startling to hear it when it does happen.

Any suggestions or solutions ?

No I didn't have WAZE on my phone activated !!!

Thank you for any assistance,
MovingMann
Do you have the Rand McNally Infotainment system? Mine does and it tells me that. I told my wife of 52 years, “Just what I need, someone else watching my speed!”
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:38 PM   #3
Aspect 30J

That's the crazy thing, I wasn't even close to speeding on any occassion that the warning occurred.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:19 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

LIke Warren said, the navigation system is talking to you! Ours is frequently wrong compared to posted limits. Cities, county govts, state highways all change speed limits at their whim and many times the posted limit on the sign you just passed is not in agreement with the navi. More alarming is when you take off down your driveway, everything is quiet on a cold morning with a good chill in the air and wham - "Caution, ice on the roadway ahead". Shook me up because the roadway ahead was gravel and it really was about 38*F and no ice anywhere. Yeah, and the voice was loud and stern. I just stopped and finished my coffee while collecting wits.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Yes, it is the GPS system and there is a setting to turn it off.
barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:38 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

If you have the Rand Mc Nalley it will give you a speed warning when 5 miles over the posted limit. I believe you may be able to turn that feature off in the settings.

If posted speed is different often you may need to update the system. There is a small SD card that you use to update at https://www.randmcnally.com/support/

I usually do updates every few months to keep work zone and speed limits current.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:10 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

As NYBobbo has stated, you can go into your settings and adjust this setting. The default is 5 mph over what the GPS perceives is the speed limit. We have noticed that ours will sound off in temporary construction zones as the system does not update for those. Otherwise, you need to update your version as stated.

But more importantly, NYBobbo's signature says it all...there isn't enough time for cheap cigars! I have a humidor specifically for my Aspect 30J that fits nicely by our bed!

Al
Old 05-19-2019, 08:46 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Well it is a bit more difficult if you run a Linux OS on all your computers! Once again I have to do a stupid emulator or hack to run Apple. World - we do not all use Windoze or Appulll OS! Sigh, just like Garmin. They all use Linux to create the software, the devices run Linux but they are AFRAID of Linux users? We are not all hackers, just different and a tad bit more demanding of our software. First, we always expect it to run - it does, we expect bugs to be corrected quickly - they are, and finally it is OPEN SOURCE. Yes, every computer I have owned in the past 15 years has one thing in common - turned on the first time and installed Linux. I even dual booted at first until I realized how futile all efforts to enjoy Windows were so about 12 years ago I stopped the dual boot and just blow it all away and install whatever Linux I want, right now I'm happy with Mint current, seems better overall than Ubuntu at this point. Now DW has an iPAD Pro 10.5 and meets requirements for OS but wait, Apple just prefers you not write to an SD card connected to the lightning adapter. Why do they care? Fear that we learn how corroded they are? Why not put an app in the Apple Store? Oh wait, can't write to that SD card...Android - it's linux what about that? My phone has everything it needs to create the SD card except the app. Then really, why not give me the file to write the SD card on my Linux machine? Fear that I will steal something I suppose. Rant - sometimes it happens but really it gets annoying.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:07 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak73 View Post
Well it is a bit more difficult if you run a Linux OS on all your computers! Once again I have to do a stupid emulator or hack to run Apple. World - we do not all use Windoze or Appulll OS! Sigh, just like Garmin. They all use Linux to create the software, the devices run Linux but they are AFRAID of Linux users? We are not all hackers, just different and a tad bit more demanding of our software. First, we always expect it to run - it does, we expect bugs to be corrected quickly - they are, and finally it is OPEN SOURCE. Yes, every computer I have owned in the past 15 years has one thing in common - turned on the first time and installed Linux. I even dual booted at first until I realized how futile all efforts to enjoy Windows were so about 12 years ago I stopped the dual boot and just blow it all away and install whatever Linux I want, right now I'm happy with Mint current, seems better overall than Ubuntu at this point. Now DW has an iPAD Pro 10.5 and meets requirements for OS but wait, Apple just prefers you not write to an SD card connected to the lightning adapter. Why do they care? Fear that we learn how corroded they are? Why not put an app in the Apple Store? Oh wait, can't write to that SD card...Android - it's linux what about that? My phone has everything it needs to create the SD card except the app. Then really, why not give me the file to write the SD card on my Linux machine? Fear that I will steal something I suppose. Rant - sometimes it happens but really it gets annoying.
Being an Apple guy, I agree completely! I have a brother that uses PCs so I go to him to update our card. We don't do it that often as my co-pilot lets me know if I'm going to fast!
Old 05-19-2019, 07:50 PM   #10
Aspect 30J

Speed Warning

Hey RVers...Thank you for the helpful info...I'll make sure that I update the SD card and change the "Lady in the Dash"...(assumption made here); settings.

Make it a great day !
MovingMann
Old 05-19-2019, 11:30 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney View Post
Yes, it is the GPS system and there is a setting to turn it off.
I concur, you can indeed turn that feature off in the settings mode.

On our Alaska Highway trip last year I had most of the warnings selected, but the one warning of curves ahead was the most annoying. Most of the warnings were completely unnecessary and quite often announcing the wrong direction of the curve. We turned it off with no ill effect.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:46 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak73 View Post
Well it is a bit more difficult if you run a Linux OS on all your computers!

I usually take my laptop (windows OS) when I travel, seems to be fairly common. Guess you just have to ask around. Unless you are doing a complete map update (like this past year) the update usually only takes a few min to complete.

BTW - If your system is over a few years old you may have to get a larger capacity SD card. I believe if so the updater will tell you.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:49 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAspect View Post

But more importantly, NYBobbo's signature says it all...there isn't enough time for cheap cigars! I have a humidor specifically for my Aspect 30J that fits nicely by our bed!

I take a tupper-dor. Works great with Boveda humidity packs.

It certainly is later than you think! Enjoy
Old 05-26-2019, 07:21 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

The other day, about every 10 minutes, a voice would say "Charge me." Took about an hour to figure that one out.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:53 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Well, I finally gave in. Computer before this one I had pulled the Win7 hard drive out and put in SSD and kept the Win7 hard drive. Took about two minutes to swap it out - then had all those Windows updates to finish before I could update the SD card with the DOCK software, did my Garmin at the same time. I did not back up the new computer, it came with SSD so in January 2020 when support drops for Win 7 I'll be looking for someone with Windows or Apple OS. Changing the hard drive/SSD is really easy on the Lenovo Thinkpads I have, just a little panel to remove, no breaking into the case or anything. Anyway the updates had a burp or two but I got it done, card works and is updated. The DOCK software is not quite as sturdy in operation as the Garmin update process. I was glad we finally got fiber optic for high speed internet here on the farm, otherwise that map update would have been a long run at the old DSL speed.

While we are talking about the Randmcnally and xcite system, who knows where the wire is that WGO did not connect to the parking brake that allows video playback when parking brake is engaged?