Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2008, 03:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Location: Columbia SC on our way to Sweet Home Oregon ETA 25 Sept 08
I have an 04 33V Winnebago Adventurer. The monitor cuts in and out. Sometimes it will stay on for the entire trip. Other times, it flickers and then there is no picture at all. Paid CW a $100 bucks to diagnose the problem. When I picked it up, the monior was not working and they played with some wires up front and it started working again. On the way one it cut off. Took it to another CW and they said they did not have a Sony Monitor to switch out to see if it was the monitor or the wiring between the camera and the monitor. I think there is a short along the route between camera and monitor. What do y'all think? Maybe even a loose fuse, as one of the fuses in the engine compartment seems loose....

MarcO
Old 05-19-2008, 03:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have an 04 33V Winnebago Adventurer. The monitor cuts in and out. Sometimes it will stay on for the entire trip. Other times, it flickers and then there is no picture at all. Paid CW a $100 bucks to diagnose the problem. When I picked it up, the monior was not working and they played with some wires up front and it started working again. On the way one it cut off. Took it to another CW and they said they did not have a Sony Monitor to switch out to see if it was the monitor or the wiring between the camera and the monitor. I think there is a short along the route between camera and monitor. What do y'all think? Maybe even a loose fuse, as one of the fuses in the engine compartment seems loose....

MarcO
Old 05-19-2008, 03:26 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

That's a tough one.

A few things come to mind:

-Intermittent power to the monitor
-Intermittent monitor (something wrong internally)
-Connector problems at monitor or camera end
-Problem somewhere in the cable run
-Bad camera

Do you know if the monitor has power all the time? You could wire in a temporary LED or some kind of 12V bulb right at the back of the monitor and position the bulb/lamp to where you can see it.

You should inspect the cable ends. Using an ohmmeter, check the cable for infinite resistance (an open) after disconnecting both ends. Then short one end and look at the resistance from the other end. Have somebody wiggle the cable and see if anything changes.

All the other options become more dramatic and expensive (like replacing things until the problem disappears.)

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have a "sister" to your coach and had the same problem. In my case it was the camera. I had it replaced and it works fine now.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Marco

I also have a 2004 (mine is a Journey ... but I think our monitors are probably the same) ... my monitor has a small green LED that lights when the monitor is ON ...

Watch that LED the next time your monitor goes off ... if the LED is not lit then you have a power problem to the monitor ... if the LED is lit then it is some other problem either with the monitor, the wiring, or the camera
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have had the same problem. The picture will go away but I still have sound. I checked the wires and connections and found nothing wrong. Seems like a camara problem.

2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Bigdog05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Did you get the camera replaced and did this fix the problem? Is it a DIY project?

MarcO
Old 05-25-2008, 12:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Golden:

Were you able to switch out the camera yourself? Tired of paying CW for work I should be able to do myself! Any tips on where and how much to expect to pay for the replacement camera?
Old 05-25-2008, 05:05 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Those 04 era Sony's were junk. We called Sony and they gave us a number to call in FL. We got one for $225 and the man told DH how to mount it. Mainly NOT to let the wires drop down into the coach.lol Good Luck
Old 05-25-2008, 06:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Just went through this on my '04 Brave 32V. It is under extended warranty so the dealer just did his thing. Really frustrated me watching them throw parts at it. Had the Sony system and had no picture at all, only sound. First they replaced the monitor with a Voyager monitor (said the Sony was no longer available)...that didn't change anything.... Then they ordered/installed in a new Voyager camera...same thing. Then they finally got a new cable and it finally worked as it should. I ended up with a complete new rear view camera syatem...all paid for by the extended warranty, less, of course, the $100 deductible...And, it ONLY took about 2 1/2 weeks of my time including 3 trips up to the dealer service department!!!!

BTW, this new Voyager camera has 6 LEDs around the lens. Anybody else got one with these and know how they are suppose to work?

2004 Winnebago Brave 32v on W20 w/8.1L and Allison
Capt Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:57 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I too had the intermittent camera issue. Found mine to have no power on examination when it finally quit altogether. After dianosing, I found the power wire which is at the fuse just before the monitor had pulled out of the fuse holder due to not enough wire in the loom. I resoldered and voila! I would check this before spending money on a camera or searching for a no longer made monitor.
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:20 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Ok, lets wrap this one up. Oh, that is my responsibility :-). Of course CW wanted to replace the entire system. Contacted [email protected] Was told that several of our units have this problem. He told me how to trouble shoot the problem (disconnect the rear camera being careful not to drop the cable..., plug it directly into the monitor, if same problem, find another WIT Sony monitor that you know works and plug it in. If same thing, you know it is the camera and not the monitor or a short somewhere between the two... Had to coax CW to do this..... So for labor and 225 + S/H we got our system fixed. Bottom line down bottom; it was the camera. One year warranty on the rebuilt camera from RVCAMS.COM and we are good to go!
Old 07-11-2008, 09:37 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Glad to hear that you were able to get this fixed.

I have a 2004 Journey and am swaping out my camera this weekend. Hopefully this fixes my problem as well? Based on other threads and advice I have high-confidence it will....
Old 07-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I have the same problem. Removed the camera and plugged it directly into one of the other inputs on the monitor, still no picture. Ordered a the new replacement(supposedly a better version) from Lichstinn for $330.

04 Winnebago 33v
Mortgagehomes is offline   Reply With Quote