Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2019, 11:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Solenoid Wiring in Minnie 22R

This question is in reference to the yellow control wire to the solenoid in battery compartment in a Minnie 22R only.

I would like to know where this yellow wire goes and exactly what the purpose this solenoid is?

I understand that one end of the main contacts goes to the house battery and the other main wire goes to the starter. I DO NOT have a boost switch anywhere on the dash that I've ever seen. I'm assuming that this yellow wire is hot whenever the engine is running and allows for alternator charging of the house batteries. But I have not seen anything definitive on this detail.

Could this same wire be spliced into and run to a dash switch to function as a start boost?
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:49 AM   #2
Itasca Owners

You can download the wiring diagrams for any Winnebago Coach from their websight. My diagram shows only one (yellow) wire leading from the chassis harness to the solinoid and that was the case when I replaced the solinoid a month or so ago.
I do have a boost switch, but I also carry a set of jumper cables which will reach from the coach batteries to the chassis battery. That is probably easier and less expensive than adding the boost switch.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:15 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have all of those drawings saved on my computer. However they do not show where that wire goes, that is my primary question. I know on the drawing it just goes in a harness but not emerge anyplace- useless for my present need.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:10 AM   #4
Itasca Owners

One of your questions was: Could you tap into that wire to add a boost soilenoid? I suggest that the answer is probably yes, because I have a boost switch that activates the isolator solinoid and I have only one wire coming to the solenoid.
This is a pure guess, but I think the isolator takes its power from the ignition circuit at or near the ignition switch. I would try a continuity test between whatever wire in that area seems a likely candidate and the yellow wire at the solenoid.

To add a boost switch, you can pick up power from any 12V source that is active with the ignition off and run a wire from the switch to the the wire you identified, or directly to the solinoid.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:23 PM   #5
Just Trying to Help

Fred-

The circuit is listed as "LR." The secret decoder ring ("Wiring Identification Guide"- link here) says:

TO: BATTERY MODE SOLENOID (AUX START SOLENOID)

That switch has three wires: KE (ignition-switched input), LS (house battery input) and LR. It would be reasonable to assume that in the absence of an AUX START SWITCH then LR is actually spliced to KE. If you look at the Chassis Wiring Installation diagram, you'll see KE is tied to the Ford fuse panel under the dash. I would track down the fuse, remove it, and see if LR goes dead.

Also, you'll have to pick up a source for LS to install a typical Winnie AUX START SWITCH.

It appears as if Winnebago started installing an AUX START SWITCH in the shorter Minnie Winnies in 2016. The panel is on the dash, somewhere near the center.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solenoid, wiring