Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-01-2018, 08:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Slide will not extend plus dead “One Place” monitor, etc

Just got home to find the slide will not extend and the One Place monitor is dead. Also noticed the dash radio will not work with house battery, but does with engine battery. Some over-the-counter lights don’t work, but the ceiling lights do. Fridge and HWH jacks work too. The battery switch has been reset several times with green light always illuminated. All 12 volt fuses and circuit breakers are OK and multimeter shows house batteries at 13+ volts while plugged into shore power. Can anyone advise on some possible causes/solutions to this issue? TIA. Larry, 2014 Reyo P
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:52 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

have you checked the GFI to make sure they are reset? I'm not sure that would cause your issues but worth checking anyway. My 24J has one on the outlet by the bed and one on the converter in the side bay.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBobbo View Post
have you checked the GFI to make sure they are reset? I'm not sure that would cause your issues but worth checking anyway. My 24J has one on the outlet by the bed and one on the converter in the side bay.
Yes, I checked them. Thank you for your reply NYBobbo!
Old 06-02-2018, 11:45 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Your battery disconnect switch operates a relay (normally) that transfers power to the house wiring. I think your relay is no longer working. If you can locate it, check the voltage on the cable that connects the house wiring to the batteries. You will need to replace the relay.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks luvlabs. What's confusing is that some of the house-battery-related items are working. Like the fridge, the TVs, the LR ceiling lights, the water pump, etc. Larry.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:30 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

OK Larry, I'm stumped. The only thing I can think of is to start checking grounds and wiring runs. Not fun.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:13 AM   #7
2004 Minnie 29B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldfeat View Post
Just got home to find the slide will not extend and the One Place monitor is dead. Also noticed the dash radio will not work with house battery, but does with engine battery. Some over-the-counter lights don’t work, but the ceiling lights do. Fridge and HWH jacks work too. The battery switch has been reset several times with green light always illuminated. All 12 volt fuses and circuit breakers are OK and multimeter shows house batteries at 13+ volts while plugged into shore power. Can anyone advise on some possible causes/solutions to this issue? TIA. Larry, 2014 Reyo P
Some suggestions: It is possible that you may have- 1 a loose/failed connector in the low voltage wiring harness, 2) a stuck/failed relay, 3) Another open fuse/circuit breaker. Solution: 1) Go to Winnebago web site and download electrical diagrams and schematics for your unit. 2) Look at the schematics and see where all of the effected units possibly have a common electrical source ( it could be more than one cause, but is not likely as it looks like all failed at same time). 3) check for voltage at the common connector/fuse, relay. 4) Using the schematics check for voltages until you find where it has opened. Note that on my unit many of the connectors are under drawers and cabinets. I have had all of these failures. On the connectors I have had failures of the individual pins within the connector as they were not installed correctly into the plug/receptacle and over time have worked their way loose. You had to disconnect the connector and inspect the pins. Hopefully it is a single point failure easily found and accessible.
RV Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Tinker View Post
Some suggestions: It is possible that you may have- 1 a loose/failed connector in the low voltage wiring harness, 2) a stuck/failed relay, 3) Another open fuse/circuit breaker. Solution: 1) Go to Winnebago web site and download electrical diagrams and schematics for your unit. 2) Look at the schematics and see where all of the effected units possibly have a common electrical source ( it could be more than one cause, but is not likely as it looks like all failed at same time). 3) check for voltage at the common connector/fuse, relay. 4) Using the schematics check for voltages until you find where it has opened. Note that on my unit many of the connectors are under drawers and cabinets. I have had all of these failures. On the connectors I have had failures of the individual pins within the connector as they were not installed correctly into the plug/receptacle and over time have worked their way loose. You had to disconnect the connector and inspect the pins. Hopefully it is a single point failure easily found and accessible.
Thanks for your excellent suggestions RV Tinker. So today I decided to go back where the present issue initiated, namely the dash radio battery selection switch. While going down the road, the radio/infotainment center lost power. So, we flipped the switch to engine battery and it came back on and we didn’t notice all the other issues until we got home about an hour later. The the slide wouldn’t go out and the “One Place” monitor was dead amongst other things. So, I unplugged the radio battery switch and confirmed 13 volts coming into the switch from the house battery side of the switch. I then used a jumper wire to bridge the current to the radio side of the switch and then everything started working! The slide opened and the One Place monitor came alive, etc, etc. No, it doesn’t make sense to me either why the coach is wired this way. I mean, why would the operation of the One Place and Slideout (etc) depend on the dash radio switch? Go figure…
I’m hoping it’s the radio battery switch and will order one from Lichtsinn tomorrow. Thanks to all for the help. Larry, 2014 Rey P.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:07 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Confession: It was a 15 Amp fuse! Yes, this is the first thing I checked, but apparently not good enough! I have been a maintenance guy forever and know the basic process of troubleshooting electrical problems. This one got by me, mostly because it's labeled "cabin overhead lights". I remember looking at it with a flashlight and even tried to remove it with my fingers and couldn't, then read the label and discounted it because it seemed totally unrelated to why my slideout wouldn't work and no power to the "One Place" monitor. The Winnebago tech on the phone suggested I check that fuse. Sorry for all the confusion! My bad! Larry, 2014 Reyo P.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:41 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

at least it was a cheap fix
Old 06-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #11
Site Team

Glad you found the issue. Do you think that the faulty switch is what blew the fuse?

We had a slide problem last week and called a Winnebago tech. They gave me great help over the phone and it helped a bunch. Sometimes I forget to call them for problems I’m working through. When you get a knowledgeable tech they can be a real asset.

Tags
ace, slide