Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

side view cameras

Is this normal? when using my side view camera, my monitor reverts back to rear view when i shift to reverse. Seems I could disconect the feed to this function.
lakewoodpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Paul
I can't tell what Make or Model your Backup Camera is, or what kind of Motorhome you have. So here is some general info on Voyager, perhaps the most common camera system installed.

This is normal at least in the Voyager Systems. Here is a page from one of the owners manuals. The Manual is too big to attach here so here is a link. The backup camera is connected to the backup lights and overrides the other inputs. If you can find it you could connect it to either +12 or Ground so your selections would be completely manual. You'll have to experimant to find out if you need +12 or Ground, reading the voltage while in reverse and again while in any other gear will let you know which is needed.
http://www.asaelectronics.com/techpd...%207-22-09.pdf Link to manual
By disabling the reverse sensor it's possible you won't be able to select the backup camera, if so then your stuck with the present operation.
Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AOM713 Page.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1984  
Old 12-07-2009, 04:07 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

That is the way mine works, so I assume that is normal.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I think....repeat...think...that if you manually select a camera (by pushing the button until you get the one you want) then it will stay on that one. I can't test that right now.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I think....repeat...think...that if you manually select a camera (by pushing the button until you get the one you want) then it will stay on that one. I can't test that right now.
You are right. I was mistaken in my previous post. I just tested it. Manually selecting a camera view overrides the system. BTW, I have a Voyager camera system.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Yea the three camera triggers are activated by a pulse, so if after activation you manually selact another view then it should remain until another pulse is received. Of course if Trigger 2 & 3 are hoohed up to turn signals and one is on it could get a bit anoying.

Dick
Old 12-07-2009, 11:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

My system is a voyager on an 2010 Adv. Shifter in reverse gear will override any other input and activate rear camera. Gotta fix that. Will look at monitor connections when I get the rig back from the dealer[he is tweaking some other warranty problems] They weren't sure how that system works.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:41 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Paul
Take the manual!
http://www.asaelectronics.com/techpd...%207-22-09.pdf

Dick
Old 12-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I represent ASA Electronics, the producer of the JENSEN brand of televisions, stereos, and speakers and the Voyager brand of observation monitors and cameras. At ASA, we strive to provide excellent customer service and product satisfaction and would like to offer some assistance in this matter.

Our Voyager observation monitors are designed to operate in two modes: automatic and manual. In a typical three-camera system (1-rear, 2-sides), the CAMERA 1 Trigger wire is connected to the back-up lights which engage when the RV is put in Reverse gear. CAMERA 2/3 Trigger wires are connected to the corresponding turn-signal circuits. When any of these trigger wires receive +12V DC from the attached circuit, the monitor will switch to the camera view from that input (i.e. CAMERA 1 will be displayed when the RV is in Reverse). This is the automatic mode of operation.

Manual operation is performed by pressing the SELECT button until the desired camera is shown on the monitor's display. Typical operation would be to manually select the desired camera view when the vehicle is in Drive (and no Triggers active). Once a Trigger is activated by putting vehicle into Reverse gear or using a turn-signal, the monitor switches to automatic mode. When the monitor stops receiving the trigger, the monitor resumes manual operation and will return to last state.

CAMERA 1 Trigger has default priority over other triggers. If you are in Reverse, CAMERA 1 will always be displayed. This is by design as a safety measure to make sure that the driver is looking at the correct camera view when backing up.

If you prefer full manual operation of the system, you would need to have the trigger wires disconnected from the system. You would then be able to select any camera view at any time.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Jensen
Thanks for joining in here!

When the triggers are disconnected is there a need to Ground or Pull up the input lines to avoid false triggers?

Thanks
Dick
Old 12-09-2009, 06:04 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
Jensen
Thanks for joining in here!

When the triggers are disconnected is there a need to Ground or Pull up the input lines to avoid false triggers?

Thanks
Dick

The Trigger wires should not be connected to anything when not in use. As these only accept +12V DC from the coach circuits, there is no output voltage on these wires. There is no need to connect these wires to Ground. If you choose to disconnect the Triggers, be sure to tape off the ends of the existing circuit wires coming from the back-up lights/turn-signals.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:05 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Not sure why you would want to turn off the rear view from the camera when in reverse, but I wanted to periodically turn off the side cameras when towing so that, coupled with the mirrors, I can see that the toad was clear when changing lanes. I was able to accomplish this by putting switches on the right and left turn signal feed wires going to the monitor. I identified those feeds per the owners manual and installed switches, one for each side, which allowed me to turn them off when desired.

In reply to your desire to turn off the rear camera while in reverse, you could do the same (put a switch in the backup feed) yet keep all functions in tact if ever desired in the future.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Good thinking Jim. The best of both worlds.

Dick
Old 12-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I want to turn off the camera in reverse soas to use my side view camera because there is inches between my house and rig when I back the rig into its resting place in my backyard.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:19 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

That is a similar situation as not wanting the side cameras to work. Merely identify the rear camera wire and put a switch on it. Turn it off when not wanting to use it.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:22 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
How about a rotary switch that has a 12V common and can feed any of the camera triggers so you can manually select any camera? Perhaps another switch to put it back to auto operation, too.

I have to think about that a little.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:36 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

To update my camera's install.......

Didn't like the 6" CRT monitor that came with my cameras so researched and found a real cool, and inexpensive, monitor. It is a 7" LCD monitor built in a sun visor for cars. Mounts perfects in from of the old sun visor and flips down when needed. Also comes with a remote control!!! Also matches the existing color.
Now I use the OEM dash monitor and camera for rear vison and turn on the the side cameras for the side views by remote when needed.

The things we do...........
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Does anybody know of any compatible side cameras to replace the Voyager ones? We've had issues with our side cameras ever since we got our MH. ASA did send me replacements once to change out myself, but the new ones also have the same issue. My problem is that the side cameras start out crystal clear and within a couple hours they both get blurry.

ASA has been great to work with and helped considerably with a crazy Jensen TV issue I had, but the side cameras are too frustrating.
emmmw is offline   Reply With Quote