Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2020, 09:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Side view cameras

We just bought a new car that we can use as a toad (a Honda Fit) and it came with a side view camera on the passenger side. When I turn on the right-side turn signal the car displays the side view on the car's info screen and I was amazed at how helpful that is to avoid cars in the blind spot when changing lanes on the road.

I was wondering if there were any 3rd party vendors that make add-ons like that for RVs. I know some new RVs come with them but our 2018 Winnie Fuse did not and it seems like something that might be worth adding. Does anyone have any information about this?
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:25 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Take your pick....
https://www.amazon.com/slp/blind-spo...jf2eaxd6dwf37n

Unless you're driving something huge, or that doesn't have convex side mirrors, in addition to the regular ones, it might help. I just use the factory convex side mirrors and so far so good.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:47 AM   #3
Site Team

RVcams.com helped with replacing my equipment. I went to their site and they show some add-on systems.
This is a total system. I'm not sure that the install would be easy on an RV that was not wired from the start, but it looks doable.

RV Cams Voyager VOS74TQKIT 7" Three-Camera Color System

Tim over there is great to deal with and very knowledgable.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Thanks to both of you for your responses. It never occurred to me to check on Amazon and I did not know about RVCams.com, so both posts were very helpful for me.

The Quartzsite RV show is also in a couple of weeks and it might be worth looking for something to do this there as well.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

A simple solution might be using wireless baby monitor cams.
Not sure how difficult or effective that might be, but it should work, if you can find a way to securely mount them on your passenger side.

I prefer wireless for most stuff, unless running wires is easier.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
A simple solution might be using wireless baby monitor cams.
Not sure how difficult or effective that might be, but it should work, if you can find a way to securely mount them on your passenger side.

I prefer wireless for most stuff, unless running wires is easier.
It would be nice to find some way to play those through the existing info system on our Fuse, or through the backup camera LCD. Otherwise I am not sure that the system would be legal in some states. As I understand it California does not allow displays that take up windshield space and any backup or nav display must play through the dash or, I assume, the rear view mirror.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have a Journey with camera on both sides. I never use them as the mirrors cover a much wider area and are much larger. You do not want to be staring at a monitor when you are travelling around corners as you must take your eyes off the road. Most RV monitors provide much less detail than mirrors. Get a larger mirror if you need greater visibility.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have been RVing for over 57 years and only had side view cameras on two of my most recent RV's (since 2008). I find them to be a distraction much of the time. I do find them (and the all around cameras on my Ford 250 and my wife's Lincoln MKX only when backing into a parking place.

When on the road in traffic, you have enough on your plate, looking ahead, in the mirror, without glancing down to a video screen. If the screen is right in front of you--as on the dash, then it is easier to see. I do have a camera on the rear of my 25' boat when towing and that is on the wash as well as an after market RV GPS, a tire monitor and Scan engine gauges. These are all mounted on a single 3' x 10" board painted mat grey to match the dash. I have driven RV's in Calif. most of my life and never had a problem with cameras and monitors on the dash of an RV. (Don't take that to court if you get a ticket--but I think that would be only if you were stopped for some illegal activity. My monitors do not obscure any part of my visual field forward on the road.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:30 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by thataway4 View Post
I have been RVing for over 57 years and only had side view cameras on two of my most recent RV's (since 2008). I find them to be a distraction much of the time. I do find them (and the all around cameras on my Ford 250 and my wife's Lincoln MKX only when backing into a parking place.

When on the road in traffic, you have enough on your plate, looking ahead, in the mirror, without glancing down to a video screen. If the screen is right in front of you--as on the dash, then it is easier to see. I do have a camera on the rear of my 25' boat when towing and that is on the wash as well as an after market RV GPS, a tire monitor and Scan engine gauges. These are all mounted on a single 3' x 10" board painted mat grey to match the dash. I have driven RV's in Calif. most of my life and never had a problem with cameras and monitors on the dash of an RV. (Don't take that to court if you get a ticket--but I think that would be only if you were stopped for some illegal activity. My monitors do not obscure any part of my visual field forward on the road.
The idea was to be able to use them when changing lanes, not when just driving in the same lane. Our present Honda passenger-side camera only comes on when the right turn signal is activated and then it displays on the built-in lcd screen for the nav system and that is what I would like for the RV, although I would like it to work for both the driver and passenger side so I would not have to worry about the blind-spot on both sides.

As for driving in California, my understanding is that it is a driving violation to have anything obscuring the view through the windshield and that it purposefully forbids gps nav systems that are stuck on the windshield using suction cups. We have to pass through both agricultural and border control stops on our way into California and that seems like a perfect place for the authorities to issue tickets if they see something that is against the law.

As it is now the dash is full of information and if we start towing a car when we travel I will have to add a display for a TPMS as well so I do not really want to add more display information than I need. Too much stuff is a distraction but I always worry that there are blind spots on both sides of the RV and something to make those spaces more visible would be useful.

Tags
camera