Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2019, 11:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Should we buy 2015,16 or 17 View/Navion

We had the original model View for years and loved it. It was not a J so we had to sleep in the cab over. Moved up to a larger RV for a while to get a big bed and missed driving our View

1) Looking to get a late model used Navion or View and trying to determine which year we’re bigger changes with length storage and towing capacity. Thinking 2015,16,17 newer might be out of our price range Were there significant changes between 2015-18?

2) First priority is STORAGE & TOWING CAPACITY Second priority is spaciousness & OPTIONS
3) I like the G and V but the J looks like it has more storage? Wonder if the extra slide lowers towing capacity in the G?
4) what upgrades do you wish you had gotten?
Thanks in advance!

PS posted this initially in wrong forum. Want to delete other, but new here and trying to figure out how.
Camping girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping girl View Post
We had the original model View for years and loved it. It was not. j so we had to sleep in the cab over. Moved up to a larger RV for a while to get a big bed and missed driving our View
1) Looking to get a late model used Navion or View and trying to determine which year we’re bigger changes with length storage and towing capacity. Thinking 2015,16,17 newer might be out of our price range
2) Where should I best post this question on this site
3) I like the G and V but the J looks like it has more storage? Wonder if the extra slide lowers towing capacity in the G
4) what upgrades do you wish you had gotten?
Thanks in advance!
You should post your own thread asking your questions in the Winnebago Class C Motorhomes forum:

Winnebago Class C Motorhomes - Winnebago Owners Online Community

You can also access the Winnebago brochures here:

https://winnebagoind.com/product-res...ct-information
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:24 PM   #3
Living The Dream

As you investigate floor plans, take a look at the 24D (although it was introduced in 2018 model year).

Have fun!
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I believe the second slide does impact capacity. The under chassis is what the rating is for. I like that I found a 17 because it was standard prewired for solar. Made it easy to add solar. We have the J and the V are the same capacities as the J based on my manual.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I think that at one of those years they switched to an electric fridge. If you dry camp or boondock be sure you want the elect fridge. It uses quite a bit of battery power overnight.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:01 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

The '16 and '17 models would be my choice as they are sitting on a newer model chassis than the '15 and '14 models. You have a choice of three floor plans in those years - J, V, and G. The J and V models have the highest OCCCs.

2018 brought the new D model and the compressor refrigerator. Good idea but no executed as well as it could be (the refrigerator was fixed) and the floor plan is still the best.

GVWR, GCWR and Towing capacity (4100 lbs +/-) are the same on all Sprinters. What changes is the OCCC which is your load carrying capacity.

Storage space depends somewhat on floor plan. We have a 24V and have adequate external storage and an abundance of interior storage. We load up for a big trip and have empty or lightly loaded overhead cabinets.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:22 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

My vote is for the 2017 View. Has the most upgrades without the refrigerator issues. !8's where out when I bought my 17 just for that reason. Have been happy with it overall. Have made a lot of up grade projects as shown in my profile albums. But that is just what retired engineers do. Try to re invent the wheel.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Do you have the sofa in yours or the L shape? Looking at the U dinette in the G it doesn’t look comfortable. May I ask where you bought yours. We are by Phoenix and I want to go look at them to see how they have changed since we sold out old one a few years back. Thanks
Old 01-27-2019, 10:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsontoy View Post
My vote is for the 2017 View. Has the most upgrades without the refrigerator issues. !8's where out when I bought my 17 just for that reason. Have been happy with it overall. Have made a lot of up grade projects as shown in my profile albums. But that is just what retired engineers do. Try to re invent the wheel.
Agree with a 17 and we love the J for our needs. I wanted the fixed dinette and the one bed made up. The sink outside of the bathroom was a bit funky at first but I'm use to it now. We have had five trips this last year and are planning to push off in the spring East.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:02 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

How do you find the U dinette for comfort?. The feedback is it is lousy in the Minnie Winnie and people are replacing with sofas. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2019, 03:18 AM   #11

Overall, we love our 2018 View 24J. It is roomy and has plenty of storage for two of us and our Shih Tzu Oscar. Our main peeve is the U-shape dinette. When used as a bed, you have to collapse the table and use the backrest cushions for the bed. The cushions are narrow and always fall off the front edge of the bed onto the floor. Also, they are not level with the rest of the bed. We put a thick rubber mat under them to help raise them up about 1/4" and keep them from sliding off. It's a bit annoying to have to do this because of what we consider a "design flaw." We have solar, diesel generator and most of the available options. Our OCCC is about 1,254 lbs. After 12,000 miles, we still have some of the usual "shake down" problems (squeaks, mostly), but those are mostly likely going to occur/reoccur regardless of what kind of RV you have. The Sprinter 3500 is a joy to drive and we are averaging 14-15 mpg at 60-65 mpg without a toad. Though slightly less mpg than others are reporting, it's acceptable given the weight of the options and within limits cargo we carry. The only mods we are considering are Sumo springs and Hellwig sway bar to reduce slight sway, also common to may stock RVs, Borg dually tire valves, TPMS and Trickle-Start maintain the chassis battery. Overall, we are glad we bought a 24J.
SteveD49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:18 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Is the dinette comfortable to sit and watch a movie We had a U shape in our previous unit and our butts hurt. I like the bed in the J and the open concept but are looking at a V for the couch or L dinette if the U dinette isn’t comfortable.
Not sure how the L dinette compares with the U. More of a couch or 2/3 of a U dinette.
We don’t live near a dealer to try. Our original View had a comfy couch and a dinette but no bed
Old 01-28-2019, 08:47 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

We like watching TV. I thought the flip up ends were strange like the sink but really like them now. I'm a big TV guy and spend time watching early and late (during the commodore late rising in the AM) . Very comfortable to me.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:45 AM   #14

My wife and I find the U-shaped dinette comfortable for watching movies and working at the table, too. It's roomy but cozy at the table, and if you turn the driver and passenger seats around you can add two more guests. The only thing we did not like is the uneven surface and falling cushions when you make it into a bed.
SteveD49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:52 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Do you know what the change in the chassis was between 2015 and 16? Wondering what we would lose getting an older unit. Thanks in advance for any insight
Old 01-31-2019, 11:51 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD49 View Post
My wife and I find the U-shaped dinette comfortable for watching movies and working at the table, too. It's roomy but cozy at the table, and if you turn the driver and passenger seats around you can add two more guests. The only thing we did not like is the uneven surface and falling cushions when you make it into a bed.
We've had some success with the slipping cushion problem with Velcro strips. We found the snaps that hold the back cushions up are unwieldly and instead used a few small (about 2") Velcro spots. Same for the bottom cushions. That said, the spots do occasionally come loose from both the wood and the cushions themselves. That can probably be fixed with better adhesive, but I'll wait until spring when hopefully I can come up with a better solution.