Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2018, 08:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Self Levelers

Just purchased a used View 24 K and am interested in information on self levelers. Can anyone give me their opinion on HWH, Big Foot and Equalizer systems.
I am trying to compare and contrast to get the best value.

DennisHerrle
2011 View 24 K
DennisHerrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I installed Big Foot levelers. While it is truly not fully automatic it gets really close and I just adjust what I need. I liked the allup feature and alarm when the coach is running to remind you they are down. Our 24J did not have stabilizing jacks being a 2017. I contacted the OEM manufacturer as they were standard I believe on 2018 and they would not sell the brackets separately. Then I figured the weight difference from electric stabilizing jacks to the hydraulic Big Foot system and pulled the trigger and did the install. I emailed and called with questions and the support from Big Foot was good.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:11 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Put your coach, fully loaded like you were going on a trip, on the nearest CAT scale. You can decide if you have enough OCCC left to add levelers. Anyone of those three will add 150-180 lbs to your GVW.

Price wise, the HWH is the most expensive followed by the Equalizer followed by the Big Foot.
The Big Foot system is available in a fully automated model. The HWH and the Equalizer are factory installs (Iowa and Indiana respectively) and the Big Foot could be installed by you or done at their Michigan factory.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thought I might get more replies. Thanks everyone.

Dennis
2011 View 24 K
Old 09-28-2018, 08:06 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

there is plenty of information out there....

one more opinion based on my use - HWH are easy to use, 1 button to level and you can adjust from there if you need to or do it fully manual.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:18 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisHerrle View Post
Thought I might get more replies. Thanks everyone.
Dennis
2011 View 24 K
Not many people use them because of the weight penalty they impose. They also are expensive. You can get equivalent results using lego leveling blocks and a nifty device called a LevelMate Pro.

The LevelMate Pro and your smartphone can quickly and easily tell you how much leveling is needed on each wheel. Very fast, very light, and for a $140 or so, you get leveled almost as fast.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Where can I get some of tis information you say is plentiful?

Denis
Old 09-28-2018, 07:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Not many people use them because of the weight penalty they impose. They also are expensive. You can get equivalent results using lego leveling blocks and a nifty device called a LevelMate Pro.

The LevelMate Pro and your smartphone can quickly and easily tell you how much leveling is needed on each wheel. Very fast, very light, and for a $140 or so, you get leveled almost as fast.
Well I respectfully disagree. For ME I did the block thing my first trip out. Back off add another, well it is close enough. The fridge is working because it is level enough. Not for me. Push a button rain or shine and level the coace perfectly. Done and done...
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 04:30 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

search on sprinter group and/or use google you should find info on levelers, jacks
Old 09-30-2018, 09:29 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, not getting any good compare and contrast info on google. I'll try sprinter group, however I am quite a neophyte when it comes to navigating the web.

Dennis
Old 09-30-2018, 10:14 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Owens View Post
Well I respectfully disagree. For ME I did the block thing my first trip out. Back off add another, well it is close enough. The fridge is working because it is level enough. Not for me. Push a button rain or shine and level the coace perfectly. Done and done...
I came from the auto leveling class A world. I am very familiar with HWH leveling systems. The difference is that in a Class A, you have thousands of pounds of OCCC (in my last coach it was aprox. 5000 lbs) and a Sprinter Chassis at 1200 lbs is just marginal.

At least with LevelMatePro, you can make an informed decision about how level you want to be. And you don't have to be exact for the refrigerator, just close.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:20 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisHerrle View Post
Thanks, not getting any good compare and contrast info on google. I'll try sprinter group, however I am quite a neophyte when it comes to navigating the web.

Dennis
There are no direct comparisons between the three systems. You can throw the notion of Consumer Reports type ratings out the window when it comes to the RV industry. All the comparisons will be anecdotal. All three do the same thing, they level the coach. It comes down to price, weight, and after the sale service. HWH is the industry leader in motorhome leveling systems and has more systems in operation on any given day then the rest of the companies combined.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:06 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Ive called HWH three times and left messages. They only returned my calls one time and that was on a Friday, fifteen minutes before quitting time. I returned the call within 30 minutes and they were gone and never returned that call. Not impressed with their customer service.
Big foot and Equalizer seem to have family members working for each company. Is there a merger in the works? Is one better than the other?
Old 10-03-2018, 04:19 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Love our HWH levelers

Got our first RV (2018 View 24v) in April. Immediately knew that we wanted levelers. Had them installed by HWH in Iowa in June. LOVE them! So easy. Work great. Too bad about customer service. We didn't have any problems with them and they were great to work with at the factory. Good luck!
ejpcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:06 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

24J Levelers

I put on the Bigfoot platinum, they had a free install or free shipping at the time, so far has been excellent, far better than crawling around on the ground.
abs268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:12 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I have a Winnebago Navion 24G that I recently installed the Bigfoot platinum system on. After looking at the big three I went with the Bigfoot because of several reason. #1 it was on sale. 1799.00 # I liked the frame brackets better that the others and I liked the power up instead of spring return. I installed a LevelMatePRO and can level in less than a minute. I made up custom hoses for the front jacks to keep from coiling up the excess. Would be glad to post pics of install if you like.
vescotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:01 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Stuart’s in Elkhart installed our HWH system when we had a 2014 Via. HWH Replacement Parts - Stuart's Services

We stayed in their waiting room with our wiener dog for the 4 hours it took for the install. Best mod we did - We loved em, setup was real easy and no annoying rocking whenever someone walked around. I highly recommend them.

The yahoo view navion forums used to have a lot of good information and knowledgeable, helpful members.
neschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:52 PM   #18
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

I bought Bigfoot levelers within a year of owning my Class C Itasca Spirit and haven't looked back. About $4k well spent and worth every penny. They sure beat putting out blocks that slip away and aren't really right, and of course, in the RAIN! They aren't automatic but they aren't hard to figure out either. Just be careful on how you go about leveling the rig so as not to stress or bend the frame. The installers will show you how to operate the system.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:25 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I had HWH install there system at the factory on a 2016 24G. I was very pleased with the product and install. But after a year I traded up to a larger MH for larger Tank capacities and dumping issues.

Darryl
MIDMONDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:44 AM   #20
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Priceless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs268 View Post
I put on the Bigfoot platinum, they had a free install or free shipping at the time, so far has been excellent, far better than crawling around on the ground.
Amen to that.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
levelers