Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Sectional bed in 24g view profile???

Newbie with a 24g that has a bed on the slideout. It's a new unit and after 6 weeks the edges of the cushions where they meet are starting to break down. I'd like to replace it with a better quality mattress but every web site I have checked out only deals with one piece mattresses. Has anyone come up with a solution to make 2 piece mattresses more comfortable?
Dtbriten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtbriten View Post
Newbie with a 24g that has a bed on the slideout. It's a new unit and after 6 weeks the edges of the cushions where they meet are starting to break down. I'd like to replace it with a better quality mattress but every web site I have checked out only deals with one piece mattresses. Has anyone come up with a solution to make 2 piece mattresses more comfortable?
We bought a 24g also, but have not picked up YET. I will for sure be watching this thread and see what kind of answers you get..

Other then that how do you like it? We are downsizing from a 38ft Diesel Pusher and we know it is going to be traumatic but it had to be done and now was the right time.

LeeB
Old 02-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

We like the unit a lot although it does have some quirks that need to be fixed. This is our first RV so we have nothing to compare it to, but the size is perfect for us..large enough to not be cramped, but small enough to make it easy to get around. It handles very well on the road, easy to drive, and stops on a dime. Had someone pull into our lane and just stop and we were able to stop in about 20 feet moving at about 30 mph. Pickup is good..mileage is great... About 18. Some of the problems we have had that have been fixed already... Before we left for our trip.

Rear window blew out when cab door was replaced
Engine light has come on for emissions system
DEF fluid needed filling at 3600 miles
Kitchen faucet leaked

Things that still need to be fixed

TV system in the kitchen area has to be replaced. When you secure the TV to the latch n the wall, the bracket on the TV keeps cutting the connections. We've had it fixed twice n the road but we are told when we get home that we need a new unit. So if your HDMI doesn't work..that's why..
trim on woodwork in bedroom needs to be finished. Rough edges were left making it look really tacky. I contacted winnebago and sent a pic and they are going to do something... Don't know what.
Blind on passenger side window rattles..pretty loud
Circuit breaker on fan over stove keeps tripping
Speakers over the lounge area don't work
Wooden sink covers really warped so can't be used

Things that can't be fixed.

The bed. Weird setup the base of the bed is different heights because of the slideout. They tried to compensate by making the smaller cushion an inch thicker but it isn't long enough so you have about 10 inches in the hip area where the mattress isn't supported by the frame. It sinks down and you along with it.

Electric heat and air is pretty loud. Depending on the position of the rig, air heat unit on roof will suck in diesel fumes from the gene
Other than that... We love it.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks much Dtbriten, like I said we have not picked ours up YET. I sure hope the bed is not going to be a problem for us, you see I am a big man 6'1" and 280 and my Bride of 43 years is only 5' and weights much less then me.

The other things that you have come across can be fixed it may take time but they will be fixed. We have owned a few RV's and it takes time to make it "YOURS".

Again Thanks
Old 02-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I'm wondering what the dealer did in the way of prep? They want to charge you a hefty fee for so called dealer prep. My dealer claims they spend 2 days prepping, testing etc. Seems like they should of caught some of that stuff.
I'm getting ready to order the 24V.
nomansland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

We saw the 24v the other day. Although the bed setup is more functional, you sacrifice by having no counter space to speak of. The G also has a pantry which the V doesn't have. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. With the G, you gain room in the kitchen and bath because of the slideout in the rear. With the slideout though comes the hassle of having to fold the bed every time you move, and the discomfort which I described earlier. Either one you'll enjoy! Good luck!
Old 02-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomansland View Post
I'm wondering what the dealer did in the way of prep? They want to charge you a hefty fee for so called dealer prep. My dealer claims they spend 2 days prepping, testing etc. Seems like they should of caught some of that stuff.
I'm getting ready to order the 24V.
We ordered ours from Lichtsinn in Iowa which is only a mile from the factory. They are telling us it will be ready by mid March and with us not going to pick it up until early April I hope I am able to RAG on them to check/prep it a coupe times....... Fingers crossed......

We are flying in all the way from California......... Not sure if that will help get-er-done or not...... You would think so......

P.S. I can and will scream REALLY LOUD.......

I hope someone chimes in on this thread and will have a fix/suggestion for the bed...
Old 02-24-2013, 01:31 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We have purchased three new coaches from Lichtsinn, and I think they do a pretty good job of prepping the coaches. Not perfect, but they are ready to fix any problems quickly. On the last one, we left on a shakedown cruise for about a week, and then returned for fixes. Would recommend this approach.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
We have purchased three new coaches from Lichtsinn, and I think they do a pretty good job of prepping the coaches. Not perfect, but they are ready to fix any problems quickly. On the last one, we left on a shakedown cruise for about a week, and then returned for fixes. Would recommend this approach.
We just recieved our new 2013 24G. My husband is 6'4" weights about 200 lbs. Added a 2" memory form topper to the rear bed. It smoothed out the break in the cushions. Only had the coach a couple of weeks, but love it.
luckystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
Thanks that is good to hear, I can only hope there are no major problems. Our plan is the same have a shake down and then return for any fixes if any..

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystone View Post
We just recieved our new 2013 24G. My husband is 6'4" weights about 200 lbs. Added a 2" memory form topper to the rear bed. It smoothed out the break in the cushions. Only had the coach a couple of weeks, but love it.
Thanks.. I do have one question though what do you do with the foam topper when traveling?
Old 07-26-2014, 05:10 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

24G bed

We have a 2015 24G on order and I'm just wondering what you do with the mattress topper and bed covers while the slide is in.
gary&judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:11 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtbriten View Post
I had no problem with the comfort of the standard mattress. My wife wanted a deeper mattress so she purchased a mattress topper.

There are a number of custom mattress shops that should be able to make up something for you if you like. They typically supply mattresses for boats etc.