Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2019, 03:30 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Replacing 2017 31K Jackknife Sofa with Reclining Loveseat

I would like to replace the jackknife sofa installed on the slide with a reclining loveseat. However, the slide on my 31K is only 28 1/2" deep. Most loveseats are 36" minimum. I have seen Euro recliner chairs with footrests that appear to be a better fit. Do I have any options other than selling my RV (that's how much I do not like the sofa). I was thinking about putting a plywood depth extender on. Any ideas?
dbrownmcse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrownmcse View Post
I would like to replace the jackknife sofa installed on the slide with a reclining loveseat. However, the slide on my 31K is only 28 1/2" deep. Most loveseats are 36" minimum. I have seen Euro recliner chairs with footrests that appear to be a better fit. Do I have any options other than selling my RV (that's how much I do not like the sofa). I was thinking about putting a plywood depth extender on. Any ideas?

I have the same unit as you, and had the same heartburn, issue, idea. I ran into the same issues as you are describing with the width of the footprint of every replacement I looked at. In addition there was always the issue with the width of the actual recliners fitting into the space as well as finding units with release mechanisms on the INSIDE of the recliner arms snce there is no room to have them on the outside.....I looked at Euro Recliners as well as I had two very nice Euro Recliners in my TT. I ran into the same issu with the footprint AND came to the same realization that I would have to add a piece of plywood on top of the existing slide floor. Ultimately I decided to stay with the sofa for several reasons; first and foremost is that my wife likes to lay on the sofa at night to watch TV while I, being a smoker, am outside watching TV, the difficulty in finding recliners that fit the space and the budget since if one is going to get recliners the assumption is that they will get substantial use and should therefore be of top quality, the need to modify the slide floor and the concern about the effect that modification may have on the lifecycle operation of the slide - all led me to the decision to forego replacing the sofa. I purchased my unit used in March of 2018 with only 7500 miles on it. I traded my 30ft rear living TT knowing I was giving up some things I really liked but was ultimately willing to do so for the benefits gained in the motorhome such as a generator, 2000 watt inverter etc. . My real issue with the motorhome is the FORD. The doghouse is a pain, but the real issue I have is the paucity of instrument panel guages and readings. I say this as my tow vehicle for rthe TT was a Silverado with an outstanding instrument package wherein I could see the transmission tempeature, oil pressure, engine temperature, #of hours operating and on and on....I fine the barely bare bones instrument package to be objectionable. We bought the 31K and it has the premiere package because of the floor plan, the kitchen counter space and the pantry......so on balance I am satisfied with the unit......I will say though IF I could find this unit on a Chevrolet platform with a good instument package I would trade. I do wonder if I had ORDERED my unit new from the factory if I could have gotten a decent instrument package.

Please come back and let those of us with the 31K know your resolution
Old 05-01-2019, 09:02 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Aside from reducing your floorspace by 8" or so, I don't see why an extended plywood floor would be an issue in terms of the functionality or lifespan of your slide. It's not like you're going to add significant weight or change the geometry significantly. I think the best way to do it would be to cover the whole floor of the slide with a piece of plywood (at least 1/2" thick) that cantilevers over the edge with the cantilevered part being laminated with more plywood to match the thickness of the slide.

If your slide is the kind that drops down to match the floor level, you might need to use thicker plywood on top since the cantilevered section can't be thickened and therefore won't be supported from bending down by being butted against the front edge of the slide. Alternatively you could add some strength to the plywood with pieces of suitably sized aluminum or steel "angle iron" running front to back at each leg location.

If you're just looking at RV furniture, you should check out residential units, including individual recliners. We installed two electric recliners we purchased at Macys but our slide is already 36" deep and I still had to put a piece of aluminum angle stock on the front of the slide in front of each recliner to support the front feet. Realistically, your 28.5" depth is probably going to be an issue one way or the other but you may find something that would minimize the length of any extension. So-called zero clearance recliners may be your best bet.

Good luck.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

One other issue I ran into was the height of the seat backs which intruded into the window and would be impactful on the side valances.....
Old 05-01-2019, 10:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Dan, that's exactly what I did......put a plywood "depth extender" on (as suggested by Bob C, also.)

Bkgnd: I looked into this mod before I bought my (3rd owner) RV and was convinced I could make it work. It had to (because of a health condition I have to sleep on a recliner...even in the sticks and bricks.) So unfortunately it had to be a FULL recliner and the only one I could find that would fit in the "slot" was a Lazy Boy love seat recliner .... so-so quality at best IMHO. I will attach a couple of iphone pics but others have done this with Rec Pro and other brand recliners that are better looking ...... where full reclining is not req'd. (Can't seem to find their posts right now.)

I really believe that your 31K would have exactly the same space available as my older Outlook 31C were it not for the U-shaped dinette (which you probably have? vice my booth dinette) So I had 67" of width available but the 31K would have 60" available, as I read the specs. And my Lazy Boy Pinnacle recliner has sufficient clearance so that I believe I could operate the handle(s) on the sides with the 31K's 60" though it would be snug.

My install allows me to slide the recliner back against the wall for travel and then when camped, I pull it fwd against some stops to allow reclining it all the way. I have put about 17,000 miles on my rig since the self-install with no problems.

I used 3/4 inch plywood which cantilevers out 7" (wish I had made it 8") and the loss of floor space is hardly noticeable.

I documented the install with pics and if you would like, PM me an email address and I will get it to you (it's pretty verbose and is over 12 MB.) The install is not a big deal really, once you find the recliner that will fit width-wise ..... into the space your sadist-designed sleeper couch now sits in. BTW-The slide structure that you would attach the plywood base to is square alum tubing and is VERY robust......and I'd wager it is the same as mine.

Good luck with your project ......... and safe travels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Recliner-1 For Forum Posts.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	171517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Recliner-2 for Forum Posts.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	171518  

youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Replacing Jackknief Sofa

We have a 2016 Vista 30T and the sofa was worse than terrible. I bought two zero clearance recliners from RecPro with the storage unit in between them, you can also buy them separate or a love seat. They hang over the lip of the slide out a bit but its no big deal. I screwed them into the slide out floor just like the couch was and put a tail piece on the back and going back toward the window and screwed that in too. They have never moved and are very comfortable. The only mod I made was to the window valance, I had to cut it off about 3 inches for the back of the chairs to clear. Before I screwed them down I made sure that there was nothing under the slide out that the screws might damage..
Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:50 PM   #7
'08 Itasca Ellipse 40WD.

Replacing jack knife sofa

We are facing the same situation soon too. However, my suggestion to you is Contact Bradd & Hall Custom RV furniture makers in Elkhart, IN. Talk to George Charles about their Lambright line of recliners. Before you go adding extended flooring or temporary legs talk to them first.
800/445-1830
rkennedy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:43 PM   #8
'08 Itasca Ellipse 40WD.

... Or Find a Southern Motion (made in MS) furniture dealer. They make an incredible electric recliner w electric headrest as a single recliner, dual love seat recliner and a dual love theatre seat recliner. You may have to install 2" diameter temporary legs after set up. You have lots of options to please you and your wife. Patience and persistence will pay off in the end.,
rkennedy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:28 PM   #9
Winnie Owner

Adding depth to the slideout

Ran into the same problem replacing the sofa with a dinette on our used Vista M26p. Yeah, I know you can buy that RV with a dinette, but got a great deal on the barely used RV with just that one little problem. Found a very nice 36" deep dinette at shop4seats. Added a 4" wide cherry wood threshold to the edge of the slideout floor to gain a little depth. Matched the finish with fruitwood stain. Looks pretty factory. Do watch the floor of the slide. It is very thin plywood (luan?) over styrofoam. So it is just fine in terms of load bearing but pretty impossible to use as an anchor. The sofa seat belts attach to the metal floor of the slideout so do provide great anchor points.
jarnarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

logolas

It's easy to correct the dimly light instrument panel and you'll be the envy of other F53's when you do. Once I did it, it made a huge difference, especially in daylight. Solution was to install a short LED strip (available in several colors, should you want red or blue or white), mounting it above the lens of the panel after removing the panel cover. Wire to a 12v circuit with a fuse and switch and away you go. Took about an hour on my 2008 29R. I'm happy to reply if you want more info.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:26 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

We didn't have the restriction of a slide, but found a Lazy-Boy loveseat, wall-hugger, recliner that fit the space, with room to spare. Very happy with the results when we replaced our old jack-knife sofa.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:42 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We have the Vista 30T and replaced the sofa with a Loveseat recliner with storage in between. We removed the existing carpet, screwed 3/4" 7-ply plywood to the existing slideout floor. We cut out the holes for the seatbelt brackets and electric wires/inlet. Found a matching carpet remnant and stapled it to the wood. The chairs are secured by the seatbelts when traveling. The only watchout is the added heigth to the slideout floor. We bought the Lippert Thomas Payne electric unit and it is tall so my feet don't touch the floor when sitting in the chair. I'm 5'4". So measure the height of the chair and add the height to the slideout floor with the 3/4" plywood topper before purchasing a chair. We removed the side valances to allow the chairs to be closer to the wall. If you decide on electric, you'll need to plug it into an outlet that is wired to your inverter (if you have one) if you want to recline while dry-camping. We love having the recliners as they're so comfortable. Have slept in them several times for naps or when one of us is ill.
Lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote