Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2019, 10:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Removal of Dual Simulator

I have a 2018 Winnebago Spirit 31G and I need to remove the rear dual simulator. I can't seem to find out just how to go about doing this. Any help will be appreciated.
Westonbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

If they are like mine, they pull off and push on, like a car hubcap. Although the simulator will be much more difficult. May require some extra patience, skill, and care on your part so that you don't damage the simulator.
My suggestion is to buy a Steelman Hubcap Removal Tool. They are not expensive.
GoneToTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Removal of Duel Simulator

Thank you so much. That's exactly what I suspected but I didn't wish to damage my simulator. Thanks again!

Greg
US Army (Ret)
Old 09-06-2019, 12:04 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

What 'bagol' said. Just use care and pry it off a little bit at a time going around the edge of the simulator until you can get it nearly off. You do not want to bend or distort it AND you don't want to bend or distort the 'spring fingers' that hold it in place. Easy does it!

Putting back on..... get it where you want it (watch the valve stem(s))!!! Gently start tapping around the edge to engage the 'fingers'. When you are certain it is where you want it.... tap a little harder going all around the edges until it is firmly.... EVENLY ....and all the way seated. The 'gap' should be just a couple mm or flush with the rim.

ALSO.... when you go to drive your RV.... Before you start up....a close inspection of the RV AND especially each tire and simulator is the 'rule of the day'. Even when you stop for a break or refuel. Walk around your RV in a counterclock circle starting at the fuel filler cover. Inspect every door, hatch, slide and each tire. Tires... flashlight helps on the duals. Inflation (no obviously low or duff tires), cuts, sidewall for bulges, bubbles, cuts, bruises, FOD stuck in the tread, simulator security. When you get back to the driver's door you are done... sort of.

Hey... you are ARMY.... you know how to do this...
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the heads up. I ordered a steelman hub cap removal tool as suggested by GONETOTHEDOG. Having the appropriate tools has got to make this a less painful project! Thanks!
Old 09-06-2019, 12:32 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westonbum View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I ordered a steelman hub cap removal tool as suggested by GONETOTHEDOG. Having the appropriate tools has got to make this a less painful project! Thanks!

Yes it will. Just be very gentle.... caress it off and on....
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

You don't want to bend it. Pick a starting point...say 12 oclock. Pry gently. Move on to 2 oclock, 4 oclock, 6 oclock, etc.....prying a bit at each point. Just keep moving around. Again....be patient.

Wait until you try to put them back on. lol Definitely not as easy as it looks.
It can be tricky, and frustrating.
Try to center it as much as possible....and then tap, tap, tap, tap....but not too hard or you will dent them.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thank you. It looks like patience is the name of the game. It just looked like it wasn't one piece for some reason!
Old 09-11-2019, 09:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Received my steelman hub cap remover as suggested by GONETOTHEDOG
This tool made all the difference in the world! This tool is simply a must!
Old 09-12-2019, 05:39 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Happy to help, and glad it worked out for you.

Tags
removal