Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Rear view camera suddenly stops working

I'm sure this topic and fix has been posted before but just thought I would put it out there in case it hasn't. If your rear view camera suddenly stops working (no sound, no picture) before you take it in to the dealer for what could end up being an expensive visit, try this. On my 2004 Journey, there are 5 screws at the base of the rear cowling mounted on the back side of the dash. Remove those screws and slide the cowling back away from the dash assembly. Look at the wires coming out of your monitor and you will see a white (on mine it was white anyway) wire with an inline blade style fuse encased in a plastic holder (you can't actually see the fuse until you open the holder). Mine was a 3 amp fuse and it was blown. This prevented any feed power from coming in to my monitor. I replaced the fuse and everything was back to working normally. Slide the cowling back in to position and re-install the 5 screws. The whole process took less than 15 minutes.
imported_Ron-in-TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for that information and welcome aboard. Glad you found your problem. Keep sharing and keep reading this site---it has a lot of good information. Happy travels. John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks -- good information to add to my notebook in case we ever encounter a similar problem. I would say "Welcome to the forum" but I see you've been a member for several years -- on your 1st post!
Old 08-15-2010, 05:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

edndebp

I have a 2005 Meridian 34H. Thanks for the info, but my problem is a bit different. When I turned mine on, it started with a lighted screen but no picture. The screen moved like the old TV's where you had to adjust the vertical hold. After driving a short distance the picture began to return, but no color. The color gradually returned and after about 20 minutes of driving it returned to near normal.
I suspect it may be about to fail completely. My Monitor is a Sony VCB-MDH1 which may be discontinued.

If anyone out there has experienced this problem and has found a solution I would sure apreciate your comments.
edndebp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

edndebp

I located a company, "JAKESRVSALVAGE", that specializes in rv parts obtained directly from manufacturers that no longer support models in question. My model is a Sony VCB-MHD1 which they list at $150. for the monitor.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

edndebp

I contacted "jakes rv salavage" and they directed me to "rvcams.com". The rvcams rep. said that Sony produced faulty back-up camera's in 2004, and most problems can be found there rather than the monitor. If you send them the camera they will test it free of charge.

Replacement for the VCB-MHD1 camera is VCB-RV and costs $225 for refurbished and $449 for new. The monitor replacement is VCB-62MH for $475.

If anyone has other source(s) I am interested in checking them out.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I had to purchase a new rear camera for my 2004 Meridian last summer and I found Lichtsinn Motors in Forest City was cheaper than RVCams. They were superb to work with and mailed the camera to our next up-coming campground in about 3-4 days. They knew exactly what I needed just by giving them my VIN for the coach.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Ron-in-TN View Post
I'm sure this topic and fix has been posted before but just thought I would put it out there in case it hasn't. If your rear view camera suddenly stops working (no sound, no picture) before you take it in to the dealer for what could end up being an expensive visit, try this. On my 2004 Journey, there are 5 screws at the base of the rear cowling mounted on the back side of the dash. Remove those screws and slide the cowling back away from the dash assembly. Look at the wires coming out of your monitor and you will see a white (on mine it was white anyway) wire with an inline blade style fuse encased in a plastic holder (you can't actually see the fuse until you open the holder). Mine was a 3 amp fuse and it was blown. This prevented any feed power from coming in to my monitor. I replaced the fuse and everything was back to working normally. Slide the cowling back in to position and re-install the 5 screws. The whole process took less than 15 minutes.
we have a 2009 Suncruiser 32H. Just today our review camera went out...it worked when backing out of our storage spot but then it just died. It does not work in reverse or when either direction turn signal is on OR when turned on to "continuious" on. The red backlight around the power button is illuminated...but no picture and no sound...not even a flicker of no video when turned on. I might have time tonight to trouble shoot before leaving for a trip in the morning. I will post whatever i find to be the problem/fix. Nice to know we are still under factory warrantee.
Crankarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Well, as suddenly as our rear/side view camera system stopped working, it started working again. i have no idea what caused it to stop or start working again.
Crankarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:26 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Mine stopped working for no reason. I used the same technique that I use on my Studebaker when something quits. i went up the ladder and slapped the darn thing. Not one problem since!
Old 08-29-2010, 05:19 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
Aaah - percussive maintenance Finhawk. Almost as effective as threatening to go to a garage and let a mechanic with dirty hands look under the hood. And they say that machines have no soul...
Old 09-04-2010, 01:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

edndebp

I would like to correct a post made 8/16/2010 which referred to "faulty back-up cameras mfg in 2004 by Sony". A more correct statement would be, "when problems occur on 2004 Sony they, are more likely to caused by the camera than the monitor".
Old 09-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

well add me to the list of backup cameras that just stop working, at least I can hear
the dw yelling at me, is that a good thing?
Phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Had the exact problem described by the OP. The DW Googled the Sony part number for the system, this thread was the top result (how sad for Sony). Followed the procedure described, except my Adventurer only has 4 screws. Problem solved in about 15 min. Thanks for the post. irv2 is the best.
quiviran is offline   Reply With Quote