Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2019, 02:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Possibly buying a 06 29b question regarding fantastic fan installation

As per the title and should know more by the end of the week. Presently own a Bigfoot 21 foot trailer and tow vehicle is not suitable. No fans that I can see and would like to install where needed. Looking at the wiring schematics I found on line but hard to see if the wiring is there at the presently installed vents. Anybody have experience or insight. Thanks
airjetmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:32 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

You should be able to swap out old vents and put Fantastic fans right in. The power should be there if the vents you have have a fan. I had my installed in my old rig by a shop and all was good.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD Eagle View Post
You should be able to swap out old vents and put Fantastic fans right in. The power should be there if the vents you have have a fan. I had my installed in my old rig by a shop and all was good.
I don’t think there were any fans so was questioning wether Winnebago would have pre wired for them
Old 08-28-2019, 03:31 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Is it an outlook 29b if so you can get the brochure from Winnebago by a general google search and that should be able to tell you if it was optional or standard. Either way I do believe it has roof vents, weather powered or not the wiring should be there.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD Eagle View Post
Is it an outlook 29b if so you can get the brochure from Winnebago by a general google search and that should be able to tell you if it was optional or standard. Either way I do believe it has roof vents, weather powered or not the wiring should be there.
From what I can see in the brochure, bathroom is powered, dining area was optional but no option in bedroom so possibly no wiring present. Either way I guess we will see when it arrives in the driveway.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

If you have the roof space behind the vent, need about 8 or 9 inches clear behind the vent, I would suggest a Maxx Air Deluxe that has it own hood that raises up. It looks neater and presents a lower profile (less wind resistance) when closed. I installed on in my Thor trailer and am very happy with the fan.

Charles
Old 09-01-2019, 04:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I've posted this a couple other times and if I could remember when and where I'd give you the link. But since the years are long and the memory is short, I'll post it again for you.

We acquired a used 2016 Minnie Winnie 27Q and the first thing we wanted to do was to replace the crank open roof vents with fan vents. I had hoped that there was existing factory wiring in the vent cavities, but after removing the existing vents I found that was not the case.

So, for the front vent there was a ceiling light about 2 feet to the left, so I used a soft 5/16" aluminum rod to punch a hole through the styrofoam to the wiring cavity for that light fixture, being very careful not puncture either the ceiling or the roof. It took a couple tries to get the aim just right but we got 'er done. After running hot and ground wires between the two fixtures the fan worked as advertised.

When I went to the back to do the same for the bedroom the aluminum rod ran into a solid obstruction about halfway between the fan cavity and the nearest light fixture which was a couple feet forward. Not wanting to possibly damage something in the roof, I notched the side of the light fixture and ran a short piece of 1/2" plastic Wire Mold (from Home Depot) from there to the vent cavity, ran the wiring between the two, and voila, another successful mod. The piece of Wire Mold is close enough to the ceiling color that its noticeable only when I'm looking at it.

The DW liked the performance of those fan vents so much that she had me install a third one to replace the barely functional original bathroom fan.

P.S. - We splurged and bought the fan vents with remote controls. That is definitely worth the extra cost!!!

If you want to try this yourself and need more details, please let me know.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:04 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I had a 06 29b. Loved the unit but it did not have wiring pre installed by the vents
jeepster05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Which model is the 29B?
We have a 2006 29R Sightseer.
We really like it.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:16 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Which model is the 29B?
We really like it.
29b. Thanks for all the info to date and still have not gotten it.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:14 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Which model is the 29B?
We really like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjetmech View Post
29b. Thanks for all the info to date and still have not gotten it.
Figured it "out".

It is the Winnebago Outlook, Model 29B. It's a Class C.

The funny thing is, the layout is very, very similar to the Sightseer 29R.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:27 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

It is officially ours and brought it home today. To answer my own question, there is a light, less then a foot from the edge of the vent trim, so will pull it out to have a look. Fantastic fan in the dining area and a cheaper smaller version in the bathroom. Lots of little things planned to make it our own. Overall fantastic condition, 20k miles and lots of options. Going to get rid of the heavy weight tv, it has the entertainment option, and replace with a smart version which will allow the iPad for movies. Thanks for all the help and will be around for further info.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:16 AM   #13
WinnieAdven38

Just call Winnebago tech support. They should be able to instantly tell you if pre-wired. But if you want to cut holes in the roof for new fans you do have to be careful that you do not cut through structural members, wiring or roof ducts. But they should be able to supply you with PDF roof diagrams showing all that. They certainly did for me when I wanted to add a MaxxAir fan in the BR.
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:08 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Just to answer my own question, dropped the trim as well as the overhead light this afternoon, and poked a screwdriver effortlessly through to the light power �� Just need to pick up a couple fantastic fans as I am going to replace the cheap fan in the bathroom as well.

Tags
fan, install