Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-28-2018, 08:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

over head liner 2008 View

Anybody having a problem with the head liner , above the top bunk ,sagging ?
2008 View

If yes ,what was your remedy to fix it .
thanks , John M
Old 07-28-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We have not had this problem, but I have read other posts about DIY repairs or taking the RV to an automotive upholsterer to have the headliner reinstalled. Good luck.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Newbie here, recently purchased a 2007 View from the original owner. He had a leak at the sunroof and had that repaired. I don't recall if he said the sagging liner above the bunk was due to this or if it had already sagged prior. Anyway, I have the same issue and had thought about using a spray adhesive but that's not on my number one to-do list. I'd be interested in any others that have had this and what their repair was.
usaborn_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

headliner

usaborn01,
I had the same problem as you .
What I did was made a cut where the two sections meet.
That is the section where the sagging ,padded panel meets the non padded section.
There are five screws with plastic caps that hold the non padded section.
After the cut , I vacuumed all the loose debris , spread the fabric apart from the foam padding , sprayed both sides with 3-M contact adhesive ,let it set up for about minute .
I used a 4" and a 10" paint roller to press the two parts together ,the rollers provided even contact ,eliminating any wrinkles.
This system worked for me ,It turned out good as new.

Another option,that I thought of after words ,was to Tuff the sagging liner.
Like upholsterers used to do to car seats .
I don't know what the clearance is between the liner backing and the outer fiberglass cap.
They sell button caps that snap over the screw to conceal the head.

I think every 10 to 12 inches apart will do the trick.
Dimpling the fabric will remove any sagging and take out any wrinkles.

If I were to do it again I would do the tufting method.

Keep us posted with your fix.
Good luck.

John M
Old 08-01-2018, 06:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

sagging headliner

Me again ,
I failed to mention ,I did my project Yesterday July 31 2018
I get so focused ,that I forget to take pics of my progress.
Sorry

John M
Old 08-01-2018, 06:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Good thoughts

I had been thinking about what I'd hold the material up with doing the adhesive method, but your use of paint rollers sounds good. I'll also take a look at the button tuck idea, that would create a nice look if it would take care of the sag. Thanks for the ideas !!!
Old 08-01-2018, 06:54 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I kinda wish I had done the button tufting thing .
If my fix doesn't hold ,I'll get my chance. LOL

Oh yeah , Welcome to Winnie Owners.
John M
Old 08-01-2018, 10:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks

Thanks John, glad to finally be an rv'er instead of tents and cargo trailers
Old 08-04-2018, 04:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Sag

It apparently was a problem with WB around 06-08?

One panel in my living room sag a lot and I tried 3M 90 spray adhesive, it lasted about one day. I ask WB what they suggested and was told they remove and replace the whole panel $$$

Have not heard of any 'easy' fixes.

Good luck.
Chiefig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:55 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Mine began to sag and I went to multiple upholsterers and two RV dealers and all said it cannot be repaired. The problem is that the foam layer is/has separated from the vinyl, not the adhesive holding the headliner, and therefore cannot be repaired. I tried the needle and 3M injection and roller repair but that did not work. The only permanent fix is to replace the headliner. I bit the bullet and had my headliner replaced. It is quite expensive to have done.
rockymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:31 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by john fran View Post
I kinda wish I had done the button tufting thing .

I have the same problem, 06 Itasca, started in the bedroom now happening in the bath and dining area.
I have not fixed it, temp fix was to place metal bands to hold it all up.
Thought about the GLUE method but some say it only holds a year or so?
Also considered the tufting concept, IMO that would be the easiest, but wonder how it might impact the value when we go to sell / trade in?
Another option I considered on my Airstream is to install material used on the inside of a boat. Fuzzy +-1/8" nap carpet.
ronnie_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:44 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

I just repaired this on my 07 View. The problem isn't the adhesive failing, its the foam backing breaking down which leaves you with no choice but to remove it all fully, replace with new foam, and adhere it all back up in place.
I'm very happy with my results but it took me probably 2 days of work to properly repair.

I removed the headliner and foam backing from the ceiling. Scrubbed and vacuumed, then wiped down with alcohol both the back of the carpet headliner and the fiberglass roof so they were both clean and ready to accept new adhesive.
I purchased 1" thick upholstery foam from a fabric store -- they only made it 24" wide so I laid two pieces next to one another which covered everything except for the very front that you don't see anyway. I used contact cement to adhere the carpet headliner to the foam first (read the directions on how to properly use contact cement) and then once that was stuck, I carefully aligned the headliner to the ceiling and again used contact cement to stick it to the ceiling. All in all it was very time consuming but I don't see another way to do a proper fix so I'm just glad its done.

Note: using the contact cement was more time consuming than just a normal headliner spray adhesive but it is what the pros use and it creates a stronger bond whereas some people report the spray can headliner adhesive failing.

Note2: the hardest part for me was finding a way to make sure the headliner was aligned accurately when I stuck it back in place. You can't move it once you stick one part so you need to make sure to get it right, and that was tricky. I did something that worked ok, but it was a pain and it wasn't perfect so I won't list it here since there may be a better way (maybe find a way to make the headliner before you remove it in the first place, or a way to pin it in place somehow before you stick it back up? I don't know.

I do have many photos but no time to post now since I'm headed back out to work on some other projects -- I can share later if you're interested.
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:46 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Troll,did you have to take the side window frames and other plastic panels off to remove the headliner ?
Old 10-06-2019, 08:41 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

My 07 Navion 23H just started sagging its headliner over the overhead bed. When I bought this rig 18 months ago it was fine; just started in the last month or so I think. I’ve been full timing in it over a year and have been thru many climate extremes between the desert, Alaska, and the hot and humid southeast. I bet it took its toll.

Thanks Troll for your story. I’ll try to do the same when it starts sagging enough to keep me awake at night.

Jake
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote