Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2019, 05:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Odor issue

Hello to all. New to this forum, so I hope I am doing this right. I have a 2017 View 24g, which I love, previously owned a 2013 24v. So I am not new to the view, however, having trouble figuring out the problem. I am having black tank odor when the AC is on high. I make sure the kitchen and bath drains have water. But it dosen't help. I am wondering if the odor could be somehow coming from the toilet, it's a macerator and tells you to empty water before driving. Please help, this problem really stinks!
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Roof top AC? Does it have an opening somewhere between the outside air and inside air (it shouldn't). I've heard of missing cover plates or was it bad seals? Can't remember. Anyway, you could be drawing stinky air into the AC from the rooftop black tank or grey tank (they smell too) vents. Then that's blown into the house if there's a bad seal.

Kind of unlikely but check it. Also, if your AC isn't draining properly? Icky stuff can grow in the water that collects and the smell can get blown into the RV. Also unlikely but again, easy to check if you're OK with climbing up on the roof and/or pulling the covers inside and looking up in there.

Good luck, happy travels.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:17 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Also pull both tank vents and see if the annular space between the vent stack and hole in the roof is sealed. Negative pressure in the moho could be drawing odors in that way.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:19 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Other than recirculating the air in the coach, your roof A/C has no connections to the outside. However, it is very possible you have a bad seal in the toilet. Time to drag out the toilet manual and look for all areas where there supposed to be a seal. Replace as needed.

A second possible area to check is the tank vent on the roof. What you are looking for are blockages in that vent. I would carefully run a wire snake down the vent to see if anything is blocking it. A water hose could be used as well.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you, This confirms what I thought and then changed my mind.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:05 PM   #6
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

IMO a few things to consider: If the toilet was leaking, you would see bubbles rising up through the water in the bottom of the bowl. It would take a lot of bubbles to be noticeable as an odor in the coach. The A/C should not be creating a vacuum in the coach, just recirculating the air. Close all windows, doors and vents, run the A/C and crack a small window to see if a strong draft is coming in, it shouldn't. The traps on your sinks may not be "P" traps like the ones in your house that use water as a barrier against odors. RV traps may be waterless and if they aren't sealing properly, could be a source of tank odor. Again, run the A/C, stick your head in the sink and sniff. Last point: The A/C may not be causing the odor, just exposing it by the large volume of air recirculation, bringing it out from its hiding place. Good luck and best wishes.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:39 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

In additional to the above, check to make sure you black vent pipe is properly sealed to the black tank.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Sewer smell

Just wondering. Do you have washer and dryer. We seem to get sewer smell occasionally and wondering if drain line from washer may not be sealed properly and smell coming from drain pipe
Joepeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:36 AM   #9
WinnieAdven38

Not sure why or how the A/C and black tank are related, but try using Happy Camper tank treatment. We have been using it for years and have ZERO black tank odors. Works great.
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:42 PM   #10
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

HappiHenri - I second that. I use Happy Camper tank treatment in both the black and gray tanks and no odor issues. Much better than the colored fragrant additives.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:20 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Joe, Thanks. I didn't realize that the traps were different. I will put stoppers in them to see what that does...Great comment...Thank You

Tags
odor