Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2019, 08:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Newbie - Still learning - Sprinter 3.0 Diesel Cabin Filter / Engine Air Filter

Thought I would change out the engine air filter since it looked dirty. Went to Auto Zone and purchased a new filter. Took out the old filter and tried to put in the new filter, didn't fit. Went back to Auto Zone to return it and they also looked up and verified it was the correct part number.

Well - this morning I looked up a you tube video and found out I was trying to put the engine air filter into the cabin air filter location. For all you newbies out there - the filter you can see to the left on the Sprinter 3.0 Diesel is the cabin air filter. The engine air filter is located under the middle plastic housing in the top center of the engine. You have to take off 2 wiring harnesses and about 7-8 screws. Another good thing about my dumbness is that I found out there is a tool kit underneath the passenger side carpet with the appropriate screw driver to remove the air filter housing just in case you don't have a screw set handy. Gotta love you tube!!
Catawampus34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:37 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

There you go 'wampus'! Caught out bye the old 'cabin air filter' trick.....

Do check the bottom of your HVAC filter box. There is a drain in the bottom. In heavy rain, it collects water that may/will come into the box via the plenum in the hood.

The drain may have a 'duck lips' rubber fitting that lets the water drip out without letting compartment air into the HVAC. If not 'duck lips' there's a fitting that looks like a three leaf clover. It's open and just lets any water drain out quickly. The problem is that you can suck up some dust, dirt, leaves and crap into the plenum and that stuff clogs the 'duck lips' or glues them together. The simple solution is to just remove the duck lips and lett'r drain through the shamrock opening.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the tip. I will do that today!
Catawampus34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Well I just learned something without having to review the electronic manual I have! Now I really want a new filter.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, newbie