Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2019, 01:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New to us 2008 View

We recently purchased a 2008 View 24J. This is our first RV, so I'm new to the forum as well as camping. We plan to take our View to a several day event beginning next weekend. Since we purchased from a private party who didn't use it very much, we don't have a dealer to answer questions for us. I hope that some of you can give us answers to some pretty basic questions.

1. Will the fridge run off the coach when we're driving?

2. If we run the generator constantly while we're parked, would it last 24 hours if we used it for the fridge, AC, and lights? I hope we don't do that, but having an idea of our limitations would be helpful.

3. We don't have solar. About how long will the batteries run lights, etc. if we assume they're fully charged?

Thank you in advance for answering.
123me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:40 PM   #2
Mtcsatx

Your frig will run off propane gas going down the road. Run it off electric at home for a couple days to pre cool. You don't say what fuel your gen uses but to run it all night with other people near by is usually frowned upon both because of noise and fumes. The amp hour rating of your batteries will determine how long your batteries will hold up. Use those small led lanterns run off batteries, they last a long time without giving off any heat. Every time you go out you will learn something new.
Mtcsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

If you are going to a multi day event with no solar and no hookups you need to be aware of and monitor your energy usage. Run the fridge on propane, use the lights sparingly even if you have converted them to led ( the stock lights are huge energy draws) and invest in some fans to keep cool. Use reflective on the outside of the windshield and cab windows to help keep the heat out. Also if you have 12 volt batterie in the house section consider switching to 6 volt golf cart batteries. They will almost double your battery capacity.
ForestF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you for your replies. We have one lantern with LED's. Right now, our coach batteries are either dead, a fuse has blown, or something else. If we have to replace the batteries, we'll certainly look into the golf cart batteries. I realize that the generator generally should not be run all the time, however, we're planning to attend quite a large event that has an area for 24 hour generators. Thank you again for your replies.
123me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

In case you haven't bought golf cart batteries yet, you should consider the cost of ownership of the wet cell VS lithium, such as the Battleborne series batteries (made in USA) which are intended to be a drop in replacement for the wet cells. Much discussion on this topic, but IMHO, the cost of ownership of the Lithiums is MUCH LOWER and you also get a significantly larger amount of usable power. https://youtu.be/Rp8Hspi4BC4
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123me View Post
We recently purchased a 2008 View 24J. This is our first RV, so I'm new to the forum as well as camping. We plan to take our View to a several day event beginning next weekend. Since we purchased from a private party who didn't use it very much, we don't have a dealer to answer questions for us. I hope that some of you can give us answers to some pretty basic questions.

2. If we run the generator constantly while we're parked, would it last 24 hours if we used it for the fridge, AC, and lights? I hope we don't do that, but having an idea of our limitations would be helpful.

3. We don't have solar. About how long will the batteries run lights, etc. if we assume they're fully charged?

The frig will need to run on propane while you drive unless you have the generator running to supply 110 Ac. The genset burns about 1/2 gal per hour but the coach will only allow you to use about 3/4 of the gas tank. As for batteries the lithium will set you back about 1000$ each. We just had to 6 volt batteries installed total 400$. Installation is a brute as the carrier is under the the coach in a tray. You might want to get help with that. Recommend you search Facebook to check out the Winnebago Trend/Viva group. Lots of good folks and a great help with your new rig.
Trinityfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Disagree with the propane whole on the road. My 2017 is setup that you have to push the power button to select 12vdc after the engine is started. My fridge is 3 way however the automatic setting only goes from 115 to propane as a auto selection.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Mike we have a 2014 Trend and the frig is 2 way. Wish it was a 3 way. If ever had to replace the unit I would def consider a 3 way. Not sure what frig the 123me has in the 2008 viva. In fact didn’t even know the viva was made in 2008!
Old 07-28-2019, 06:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Agree with the up front cost of "6 volt" vs Lithium battery cost; my suggestion is to look at the total cost of ownership over the life of the Lithium VS using "6 volt" batteries; plus Lithium gives one much more power available between charges, faster charge times, more efficient charge event, no maintenance and (believe it or not) a much safer battery.
How long each lasts is key here. Lithiums can last up to 10 years and still have a lot of available power - and you can discharge them almost all the way without damage. Just suggesting you do the math to compare them over that time.
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:40 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Oops! Read viva instead of view. Duh. Sorry
Old 07-29-2019, 06:06 AM   #11
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123me View Post

Were you supplied with the Winnebago owners manual from the original owners?
Winnebago assembles very well written manuals on each specific model they build. The manual should have detailed operation instructions for question #1.
You can also find your manual here: https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m...008/08View.pdf

For question #2, as others have pointed out, that depends on a couple factors such as the load on the generator and the fuel type it uses.

Question #3 again, that depends. Loads are a huge factor to battery reserve. Battery condition also greatly affects the battery reserve.

My suggestion is perform a "driveway test". Operate your unit as you would unconnected from utilities - including water.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:27 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

We had a '06 View many moons ago and now the 18V24D. You have space for two batteries, you do not have a compressor refrigerator but a two way, LP and 110AC. We have the diesel generator, you may have LP run generator or the same diesel generator. If it is LP you will be depleting your LP fast if you run the thing. If you have LP fueled generator you may want to invest in one of the small Honda EU2200 generators if you intend to boondock a lot or get solar.

As far as LiFeP04 for your rig - total waste of dollars. Dump in two Trojan T-105 or go to Costco and pick up two GC batteries. In your rig either will take you at least 5 years down the road and save you tons of cash you can travel with. If you just want to dump some excess cash - get LiFeP04, they save weight. That's all they will do for your rig.

FWIW on our '06 View it had the LP generator - I bought a Honda 2000 because LP is harder to get in a remote camp site than gas. Back then solar was not as common. With the LP fridge you can boondock indefinitely as long as fresh water and a dump are nearby.

I don't remember if the "08 View came with a PSW inverter but if you use a CPAP at night make sure you use a PSW or pull a direct 12vdc feed to an outlet near your bed. MSW will fry your CPAP sooner or later.

If you develop into or plan to become a boondock enthusiast you might consider LiFeP04 just because they recharge so much faster than lead acid and add a few solar panels on the roof and a controller to recharge them. Reduce generator run time.

Just checked and the price rate at Colorado state parks around Denver is now $41/day plus tax plus $8-$9/day pass or annual pass at $80. That means when visiting relatives in Denver the AFB snake den is our target. Just mentioning that the rates for camping are increasing everywhere - except Boondocks.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:55 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Search propane solenoid power reducer. It is sold on ebay. The stock propane valve will discharge one battery overnight. With the power reducer it will cut power usage to about 1/5. A big saving for about $80.
2covesover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:37 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

You can run fridge on 12 Volt chassis while driving. I do not suggest running LP while driving you will end up with LP gas issues, you should turn off LP tank while driving. If you plan to primitive camp run everything (Fridge, water heater) you can off LP! I have run LP for a week, it could probably go 2 weeks. I suggest getting a diesel exhaust pipe extension to roof for better air quality. Winnie Views will not let the generator consume all your diesel, there is a feature that will shut it down at a certain point. Check with dealer regarding the 2008 year on that feature. Careful with lights they will run down your house batteries pretty quickly if not running generator. Have fun I love my 2013 24J
mtnbikertn is offline   Reply With Quote