Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-10-2019, 03:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New owners Navion 24 D

Looking for recommendations for surge protector for 2018 Navion 24D. How much do we need? Also is a 50 to 30 amp adapter recommended? While we are at it, thoughts about WiFi booster? We don’t think we need the expensive big one, probably just the handheld/smaller one. Ideas? Thanks!
KentSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:28 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have a 2017 View. Yours is like mine in that the plug on the power cord is 30 amp. I use this surge protector:
https://www.campingworld.com/portabl...YaArQqEALw_wcB
Old 02-10-2019, 05:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the quick reply. But I couldn’t make the link to camping world work. Do you know the name of the surge protector? Thx.
KentSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:41 PM   #4
Living The Dream

You might want to take a look at a Progressive Industries SSP-30x. Try on eBay, looks to be less expensive than at Amazon. There are others, of course.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:58 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Look up this on Camping World web site. Sale price is $75.06
Portable Surge Guard Protectors, 30 amp

Catalog Item # 73993
Old 02-12-2019, 08:43 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

You do not want a surge only protection device. You've got too many other pieces of electronics that are susceptible to damage. What you should get is the Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X. The EMS stands for electrical management system and will protect you from miswired pedestals, bad grounds, low and high voltages, and surges. These systems are bit more expensive ($250 or so) but the protection level is much higher.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I agree with Roger & Mary, the Progessive devices come with a lifetime warranty too. And they're made in the US, not China like the Surge Guard brand. Might cost a bit more, but their warranty is legend. eBay or Amazon for the standard prices. Craigslist if you're looking to save even more.

If you tend to travel from a good park (resort type) to a good park, you won't really need an EMS for a while. If you tend to stay in remote parks with poor infrastructure, then get one soon.

Many RV parks in the US now have pretty good Wifi. But I use a high gain antenna on a 30 foot USB cable to take advantage. Wifi boosters generally need to integrate with the parks modem so they aren't much use as parks don't like you plugging into their modem. Wifi extenders work well if you can find a place to put it and power it where it sits between the parks antenna and your RV.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:08 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Welcome Kent. We have the 24D and did a permanent install with the PROGRESSIVE INDUSTRIES HW30C 30 Amp Hardwired EMS-HW30C RV Surge & Electrical Protector. Here's the link in Amazon for $229: https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...cal-Management

I put it on the back wall of the electrical service bay. Takes up no space really. If I can figure out how to post a picture I'll show it to you.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:13 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Surge Protector EMS

Here's the picture. Can't figure out how to turn clockwise 90 degrees ?

Moderator Edit: Picture uprighted.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2019, 07:16 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I also installed one of these EMS units in my 24D. We removed the existing junction box and lowered the generator plug down so the EMS could fit above it. Having removed the junction box you already have the wires available to connect up the EMS (your EMS is essentially then already in line regardless of where the power comes from). Once connected the EMS box was then secured to the backing board where the junction box used to be. I have pictures but can't seem to figure out how to post them.
If you want them let me know ([email protected])
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote