Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-22-2019, 12:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New Motorhome Walk-through

Hi All,

We'll be picking up a new Minnie Winnie 22M in the next few weeks from a local dealer.

I have made a long laundry list of every possible functioning component I can think of and plan to test as many of these as I can before driving off the lot (refrig, AC, heater, lights, windows, power mirrors, TVs, generator, side-out, awning, etc).

My question is, is it reasonable for the dealer to indulge me while I check all these item? I'm guessing it could easily take well over 3-4 hours.

Also, I know there will be things not working that will need to be scheduled for repair after I take possession of the vehicle. What I am wondering is, is it reasonable to expect them to fix anything on the spot, and if so, what types of things? Most importantly, if I find something "major", should I consider delaying possession until it is fixed?

Finally, any specific testing techniques that I should perform for more sophisticated items? For instance, pressurized water hook-up testing, etc.

Thanks
tesscr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:36 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Tesscr,
Having a checklist is a great idea. I do not believe it will take you three to four hours to run-through your checklist. I bet you get through it in just 1½ hours, even taking your time!
Is your dealer well-rated by the Better Business Bureau? If so, I would not be hesitant to have a repair done after delivery. If they are rated poorly by the Better Business Bureau, then I would have everything repaired BEFORE taking delivery.
Good luck; Eagle5
Old 09-22-2019, 06:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

When we picked up our Aspect 30J there were a few small items that needed attention and they fixed it on the spot. Things like the battery tray not sliding out and some caulking pulled apart on the roof. We had a rep that was specifically assigned to our walk through and he went over everything with us as well as called service over to fix the items. Make sure and document everything that needs fixing before you leave the dealership!

Good luck!

Al
Old 09-22-2019, 08:54 PM   #4
Site Team

Yes, the dealer should “indulge” you. Yes, he should fix all issues on the spot. Don’t take delivery until it’s right and certainly don’t sign any paperwork until everything works and nothing’s missing. Don’t accept a “we owe you” paper for missing items either.

There are thousands of examples of dealers that promise it will all be done later but then won’t even return a phone call.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

It seems you have a list of things you plan on going over. I would stop by the dealership a few days before your PDI and give them a copy of your list. This will not only show them what you plan on, but will enable them to a lot the correct amount of time. I have always done the list and have had good response from dealerships about giving them a copy first. As for fixing, if its items that only need a quick fix yes on the spot. If its more detailed, you are in charge. If you do not need your new unit right away then leave it at the dealership, with unsigned paper work. Other wise you will have to bring it back.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:12 AM   #6
2019 Minnie Winnie 22M

I will share a little of my experience. I took delivery of a 2019 22M in June of this year. I am new to camping and RV life. (1st timer) I went thru the 2 hour dealer walk thru taking mental notes and such. Everything seemed fine. When I got home with RV about a 45 mile drive I played around with everything. The main issue I had was that the generator was hard starting and ran rough. I called the dealer right back and service told me they couldn’t see me for 3 weeks. I explained I only have had RV for 12 hours. They suggested I take it to a Cummings dealer. My point is if you feel it is major get it done before delivery.
To finish the story I called Cummings, they took me in a few days. Ended up being sediment in carb and lines. Told that it wasn’t covered under warranty since dealer should have fixed this. Called the dealer and they sent me a check for $153, the cost to repair. I guess a good story. To date I have had a few minor issues, making a punch list for dealer. Plan on bringing it back in late fall before I store it for winter only minor issues, the side cameras get blurry after a few miles of driving and when opening the waste pipe a little leakage comes out. Other than that no other issues so far
Lance
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:37 AM   #7
Site Team

Regarding the fuzzy mirrors, please see my thread on same:
http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...zy-355259.html
Old 09-24-2019, 10:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Regarding the fuzzy mirrors, please see my thread on same:
http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...zy-355259.html
Checked out you link... did the new camera solve your problem?
tesscr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:00 PM   #9
Site Team

I'm sure it will. The new camera will be installed on October 4th.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Checklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesscr View Post
Hi All,
We'll be picking up a new Minnie Winnie 22M in the next few weeks from a local dealer.

I have made a long laundry list of every possible functioning component I can think of and plan to test as many of these as I can before driving off the lot (refrig, AC, heater, lights, windows, power mirrors, TVs, generator, side-out, awning, etc).

My question is, is it reasonable for the dealer to indulge me while I check all these item? I'm guessing it could easily take well over 3-4 hours.

Also, I know there will be things not working that will need to be scheduled for repair after I take possession of the vehicle. What I am wondering is, is it reasonable to expect them to fix anything on the spot, and if so, what types of things? Most importantly, if I find something "major", should I consider delaying possession until it is fixed?

Finally, any specific testing techniques that I should perform for more sophisticated items? For instance, pressurized water hook-up testing, etc.

Thanks
I would have the technician walk you through everything bumper to bumper inside and out. Let him show you how to-operate all the important parts of your RV. I also video taped the whole thing and asked lots of questions as my wife filmed. Get under your rv look at and make sure all the wiring is tidy and properly covered, lift up all the seats and check for any moisture, or broken pieces. Open all inside and outside cupboards and drawers, awnings levelling jacks if installed. Run the windshield wipers, squirt the water ensure everything mechanical feels, looks and sounds good. You need to take your time, don’t feel rushed it’s a big investment. Turn on the propane light your appliances, run your heater and AC if equipped, make sure you run this stuff for a while to ensure they cool/heat etc
Swannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:42 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I didn't do what you intend to do. I learned the hard way. I took delivery of my brand new Winnebago Spirit only to learn that my hot water heater didn't work just when I was ready to take a shower. It took them exactly one month to fix the hot water heater and cost me one month of camping! I know what to do next time I purchase another MH.
Westonbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:15 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Details

Your list seems pretty thorough. I would request that all appliances be functioning/on when you arrive. Generator running, AC on - both dash & coach, refrigerator turned on early enough to bring it up to temp, possible the day before you look at it. Water heater on and run it to hear the 12 volt pump running in action, check to see that the batteries terminals are not corroded, look for swelling on the sides of the batteries and hopefully find the date of manufacture or installation on them. Look at all of the tires to see if they are all the same brand and check the date codes. The 4 digit codes are read week ## and the year last two digits of the year manufactured. 3918 would mean the 39th week of 2018. For motorhomes I personally wouldn’t recommend any tire 5 years or older. Be like a little kid and go nuts checking everything, even the wipers condition and that all speeds and washers work. Good luck!
Blkbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:18 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks
When I bought my used, One owner, 1989 Marathon Class C at Camping World in 2017, after the Sales guy introduced me to it, I requested to him to come back in Two hrs, as I was going to do a Full Inspection of the RV. He came back after 2.5 hrs as I was finishing and he found me under the Unit. I left No corner unturned. It was then, that I was ready for a road test. As we exited the dealer I checked the fuel Level and mentioned to him. It had One quarter tank, he later found out that it was not enough as I took him on a 40 minutes ride and he had to put more gas into it. The RV was a #10, the prior owner had kept it in outstanding shape. All the equipment had been replaced for new when needed, ( the Onan and other), everything was functioning as required. I felt I'd won the lotto. It was so nice that the dealer had put a price on it of $6G's. At the End of the day, (I'd been at the dealer since 10AM) and it was 3:30 pm. I pulled $4G cash from my pocket and made my offer. He hesitated and did not accepted it. He counter offered and I did Not went for it. We ended up in a "no deal" and I started to "walk" out. When I was getting in my car he came almost Sprinting to me and accepted my Offer.....then I added.., "my offer includes taxes and any fees you may want to come out with". At the end of the day the Sale was completed. (See,,,,the RV had been in the Lot for more than 30 days) I guess it was destined to be mine. Today,,, Sept 2019 it had given me miles and miles of Fun and great Camping experiences and in Nov. starts my retirement and it is ready for more miles. Actual Odo.? 76,457. All of this to tell you thatnYou are the one buying, Use your skills to deal and use the whole day to make it a memorable experience. The will wait what ever Time you dispose of......Good Luck..!! Happy trails!!!
JRpilot1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:50 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

My advice--take a video (phone or camera) of all the walk thru--yes it may take hours, and do test every system. Then camp overnight on or next to the lot. The next morning you may've some other issues.

I bought one used RV where everything was fine--at the dealers--a 4 page single page punch list had been "resolved". Even then, after camping I found a puddle of hydraulic fluid under the RV. The reservoir for the hydraulic jacks had been a hole in it "repaired by JB Weld"--A new tank and a bracket to hold it properly were fabricated.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:02 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Our dealer (Johns RV) was awesome! They took their time and went through everything with us. They caught a few things and had already ordered the parts before our walkthrough. There was only one set of keys and our salesman went with us to a key shop and got us a second set before we left. We were there for about 4 hours. You are being smart to take your list. They shouldn’t rush you or mind any questions you have. The more proactive you can be, the better you will be satisfied in the long run. You should get everything handled before you take possession. We once bought a camper from a large camper sales place. They did a 30 minute walkthrough and we had tons of problems later and they always wanted to keep it for several weeks to fix even small things. Being sure you have a reputable dealer is the main thing. Ours continues to address any concerns we have in a timely manner. If you are close to SC, Johns RV is definitely worth the drive! Best of luck to you...we are loving our Winne 25J!
Dottie2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:39 PM   #16
Itasca owner

As said above, I wouldn't have the salesperson standing around, just do your own walk thru and take your time to test everything, all appliances, gen, windows, etc. Call him/her back when its time for a test drive. I think it should take not much more than 1-2 hrs to go thru it all. Some things you won't be able to do, like water tank, drain valves, etc. I would leave it for repairs if you can unless they fix some small things on the spot. Don't drive away if there are large issues.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:12 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

So excited for you!
We recently got a 25J - as Newbies - our dealer sent a crazy informative email full of 30 sec videos that go over every single component! They are great in a pinch ! Ask if they have anything like that ! Also - there’s a company who RENTS WINNEBAGOS ... I can’t remember the name off the top of my head ... however if you google them ... they have these fantastic videos doing walk thrus of the rigs for renters. They do basically every thing the dealer will do with you at pick up. I literally watched this video 5 times and our dealer was very thorough- it’s just impossible to absorb everything!!!!
Also - when we left, our dealer set up an appointment for the little things that inevitably needed to be fixed - turns out we have six or seven minor things and it’s back there right now.... very helpful.
Good luck!!

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks
Daniel Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:22 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Don’t make the mistake I did when I bought a brand new 2019 Minnie Winnie. I was so dazzled by all the features that I never thought to check the undercarriage. Two days after bringing it home, I happened to look under there and noticed rust everywhere. Evidently, they drove it to the dealer on salt laden roads and forgot to rinse it off. It sat on the lot for 4 months rusting away. That began a very difficult saga of trying to get it resolved. The dealer pointed to Winnebago and Winnebago pointed to the dealer. I was caught in the middle. After months of fighting, the undercarriage got treated and painted. I could have saved a lot of time and grief had I only inspected the undercarriage before I finalized the sale.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:19 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Ditto on the RUST. All too common of a problem and neither the dealer nor Winnebago will take ownership of a very bad situation when Winnebago does next to NOTHING to prevent it in the first place and the dealer does nothing when they receive it. Winnebago expects the dealership to wash the underneath after it’s driven to them, I guess that means they expect the new owners to power wash it after every single use as well?
TonyOIB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome