Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2018, 10:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New Minnie badly rusting

I'm hoping these photos get imported. I could sure use some advice on my new (October delivey ) 2018 Minnie Winnie F350. After getting it home I went underneath to check it out and noticed severe rust ALLREADY attacking the chassis ,under the black painted framing, the wheels, pretty much everything. After watching a TV commentary on used flood cars I'm wondering if maybe I bought a new one! Is this MORE rust then I should expect on a new vehicle? I understand that these chassis sit outside for a while prior to assembly but this seems excessive.Attachment 170698
TonyOIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:53 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyOIB View Post
Can't view the attachment. Perhaps you might want to use dropbox or some other semi-public online location.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Photos of Under carriage Rust

Hoping these photo's are attached

Click image for larger version

Name:	rvrust.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	170701

Name:	rvrust2.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	170702

Name:	rvrust3.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	170703

Name:	rvrust4.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	170704
Old 12-17-2018, 02:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I am no expert about this sort of thing, but that looks like the start of some serious trouble if you don't get it taken care of. I would first try the dealer and see if it can be done under warranty but, if not, I still think you need to do something.

Your photos made me think that I need to check our new RV as well. It never occurred to me to do that when we went through our initial check 6 or 7 weeks ago.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I no expert either. But IMHO surface rust while un-attractive won't make your frame fail. At least not for MANY MANY years even if you did nothing about it.

For $ 8 you can buy a spray can of black Rust-Oleum Black Rust Converter spray paint and just hit all the spots that are rusting and stop it in its tracks. Then re-inspect every 6 months for the life of your TT, and continue to protect any new spots that develop.

I'm betting you'll do a better job than any dealer tech and you'll save $$ on fuel and hours of your time.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

For what it is worth my 2019 Minnie Winnie 31G has spots like that on the frame. It disappointed me because of Winnebago's E-Coating display in their brochure. I figured I would clean it up and paint it when I have time.
Motts461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motts461 View Post
For what it is worth my 2019 Minnie Winnie 31G has spots like that on the frame. It disappointed me because of Winnebago's E-Coating display in their brochure. I figured I would clean it up and paint it when I have time.
Clean it up how? Sandpaper? And what kind of paint?

I am asking because I assume I will have to do this as well.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Wear a mask if you’re underneath the coach. Wire brush the rust spots. Use a metal scraper (or flat blade screwdriver) to get into the cracks and remove the loose rust. Try to get into the “bubbling” spots (visible in some of the pics) with the scraper and brush. You need to ensure you purchase the “Rust Converter” type of spray paint—available at Big Box Hardware stores and some of the smaller ones. Spray. This will only stop the rust that is exposed and sprayed, so I would recommend you check all areas again in six months.
ViewFromHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Hi Motts461 and others....Thanks for responding... Yours is a 2019 Minnie, Mine is a 2018 that I've only had home for 3 months. I really don't feel we should HAVE to get under the coach and brush and scrape and spray and hope the rust doesn't come back. I hope you'll do what I am going to do and I'll be calling Winnebago tomorrow to let them know that this isn't right and will need to be professionally rectified. I'll keep posting my results and if others are having similar problems please advise me.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:51 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Personally I wouldn't do anything except call the dealer and Winnebago. Since this is on the chassis, and if its not properly fixed, check the Lemon Law in your state. It could eventually be a safety issue.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:41 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyOIB View Post
I'll keep posting my results and if others are having similar problems please advise me.
Please do so. I am very interested in what Winnebago and/or the dealer have to say about this, and even more interested in finding out what they will do about it.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:07 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Not a big deal. Corrosion X Heavy Duty is what you need.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:36 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

The frame has been subject to salt. Either from roads or the ocean. I see it was a Oct, delivery but being a 2018 it could have been delivered last spring. Winnebago is manufactured in northern Iowa. RVs are driven to dealers so are subject to road grime. I would look up the manufacture date. That could tell you if it has been driven on salty roads.
I would check with the dealer first. Me, being from MN , I would just use some type of end rust product & paint it with Rust-oleum paint. Plus I would stay away from the ocean.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:21 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Mine was ordered then delivered last March and I picked it up 2 weeks later. So it was driven from Iowa to eastern Ohio in March. I have had some dealer work done and feel I can do a better job taking care of this.
Motts461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:34 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Ok, so I have heard back from Winnebago and the answer is as expected "Unfortunately, rust or corrosion is not a warrantable item. The indication of rust could have been the maintenance of cleaning the underbelly of the coach. Therefore, once the dealer receives the coach they should be washing and cleaning the underbelly as well" " you will need to work with your selling dealer to get issues resolved with the rust". ..... After receiving this letter I have spoken to the dealer and have an appointment with them after Christmas. Thus Far, CW has been EXTREMELY helpful and understanding and has shown an interest in inspecting the damage. In my limited dealings with CW in Hope Mills, N.C. so far I definitely rate them an A in all aspects of my purchase. My one caveat is that I will insist that if they agree to proceed with any repairs, I will need to be there to observe. Thank you all for your continued support.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:03 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the update, Tony. Sounds like CW may be stepping up to take care of it for you. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:12 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

I could understand that rust if it had been used for a couple of years but NOT on a brand new unit. I'm kind of sensitive to rust though............I drive a Toyota Tundra
Please keep us informed how things go for you.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 06:55 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I think everyone is missing the key point here. We have 2 people with severe rust on a 2018 (3month old) and a 2019 unit. That is an issue that Winnebago needs to fix. Forget the dealer. This is unacceptable and going under your unit when it is brand new and fixing this kind of issue is not an option. I would document every conversation , time of call etc. Send a certified letter and email with pictures. The money you spent may justify the cost of an attorney if Winnebago does PROPERLY repair this. This would require sandblasting and re-primering and painting the unit. It actually looks like it was either under water for a period of time or stored in a grass field for years. Good luck and document, document document.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:03 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

I would think that if Winnebago is the one that extends the frame there's no way they shouldn't stand behind it. Even if they outsource the frame work they're the one who is selling the finished product so again they should stand behind it and repair it.
Every frame is going to rust eventually but it shouldn't be present on a new Coach.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:09 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

looks like you may live in a salty environment. That will play a part. I have used permatex rust stopper. it turns the rust black and stops the corrosion.I have been satisfied with with its effectiveness.
passinthru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust