Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-27-2019, 11:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New bed for 2012 View 24J

Hi all: We have a 2012 View 24J, and my wife has some issues with her back. Her physical therapist said that the RV mattress is probably not helping her any, and since it does seem to be wearing out, we'd like to replace it. The 24J has the curved mattress, so we can't just buy a conventional replacement.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Has anyone ever ordered a replacement mattress, or had one custom made? Any suggestions on what type of foam, where to get one, or other information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
2887paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:53 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

you can purchase any foam mattress and use an electric meat carver to cut the foam to fit.... only your wife can decide what kind of support, firmness etc is right for her
Old 11-03-2019, 05:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2012 24M and wife has similar back issues but don't have to deal with curved mattress.
We have tried a 3" cotton batting mattress topper with minimal improvement and are now using a 3" multi-density "memory foam" mattress topper that we got at Target for just under $100. It's not perfect but a big improvement and is much warmer than without. It came with a cozy, I don't see why the corners of the mattress couldn't be trimmed.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:37 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

foam can be cut... cotton batting would be a problem due to the construction and the need to cut the side down and the radius corner. Custom mattresses are an option but very expensive.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Inflatable pad

My wife and I use an inflatable foam camping pad I found one on Amazon that fits the 24J bed perfectly including the curve of the bed on the corner. We also had one from REI. that had two joined pads but I don’t think that one is available anymore. They are about 2 inches thick and allows you to set your own firmness. The beds on both of our 24J s were not comfortable enough without a pad.
plrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We bought a new 2018 Sightseer 33C. It had a king size bed in it that I didn't like and didn't want. Plus it wasn't very comfortable. A year ago we ordered a custom mattress from mattressinsider.com They do all kinds of custom orders and have 3 firmness options I believe. We ordered a mattress 6 inches narrower than the king (kind of a queen and a half) and my husband cut down the platform 3 inches on each side. This also left us with a 3 inch space under the windows at the top of the bed to put our phones, glasses, etc. I'm very pleased with the mattress quality from Mattress Insider. I thought the prices were pretty reasonable for a custom.
winniewife48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Tochta

We just ordered a mattress through Tochta. I'll update with how well we like it, but one thing that I found super helpful is how customizable they let you be. You can cut corners, slits, rounded corners, short queen, etc.
mohayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

One thing that we with aching backs have discovered that eases making the bed is "fitted top sheets" They have pockets at the bottom identical to fitted sheets, but are plane at the top. They don't pull loose and are much easier to straighten out in the morning. Got them on amazon, all sizes.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote