Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-31-2019, 08:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Navion/View insulation

We have a 2018 24D Navion and have just been using it in an area that dips below 40 degrees every night. It seems our little space heater just can’t keep up with how fast the RV looses heat and so our gas heat keeps cutting on many times throughout the night. I disconnected and taped over the little kitchen exhaust vent cover as there was a lot of heat just going right up that vent hole (no way to close it!) and we have an outside cover that goes over windshield and side windows. I suspect that we’ll have to do something with the 5 single pane windows (door, kitchen, bathroom, bed, and dining room) first as we can feel the cold pouring in from them. Anyone have heat insulating ideas for windows or other ideas that work?
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:03 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Camping World has little square pillows that fit into the roof vents. (They also work great for darkening the bedroom).
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Reflectix (sp?) is a commonly used material for insulating windows from the inside. I've never used it but some say it works well. Keeps heat out and heat in, or vice versa. You buy it and cut it to size/shape, then stick it in place.
It's not transparent that I know of, so keeps light out as well.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

OK... so just how many WATTS is your "little" space heater?

What is the ambient outdoor temperature?

Our 1500-1600W ceramic cube heater (a little man, not a big box) with a fan will keep things warm but not hot down to about 30ish.... maybe a little more. Got to remember that these things are like a big, fat outdoor commode. They are drafty and although modestly insulated they will cool pretty rapidly from all four sides and the bottom.

And, you know what? Some times the only thing that will heat that big fat box is the LP furnace. You need LOTS of BTUs. OTH, you can also use the heat pump/furnace combo and let the 'brain' fiddle with which one will run and when. (Probably can't run both the HP and a 'cube' at the same time... but not sure).

The biggest heat loss is through the glass. Also, the biggest heat gain. (Funny how it works both ways, right?) Just lowering the blinds (if you have the MCD type) will provide a small bit of cover and trap the colder air between the inside glass and the coach air. This beaks the natural convection of hot air hitting the glass, cooling and sliding down the window getting colder as she goes. Ain't perfect ... but it is a start.

Sometimes when using a 'cube', you may need to turn the AC fan on to get the air to circulate and not be layered with the hot air up on the ceiling and cold on the floor.

Slides are an invitation to drafts when open. So, check to see that the seals are working to prevent infiltration when they are extended.

If you have the Remis shades on doors and windshield. Close them. Again, it is about creating a slight barrier for the heat transfer. Shade on the Heki skylight closed.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, but I’m not so much concerned about a bigger space heater as much as wanting to reduce the heat loss. I figured the big loss is the glass and am looking for suggestions that people have used that work. We do close our blinds, but I’m thinking it needs much more.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:40 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Winterbagoal had it right for what I have been doing... the reflective bubble placed behind shades, etc. helps a lot, also a rug over the door area where the batteries are helps. I also hang a blanket from the overhead bunk on my 24J to close off the driver area. You can also minimize the exposure to the outside by pulling in your slides when you sleep.

It seems the door area still seems to be a problem that I have yet to find an easy solution for without having to carry some kind of special insulation that won't take up too much room.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

NYBobbo: We tried your suggestion of a blanket to isolate the driver’s area from the rest of the RV. Genius! It worked like a champ. Our little space heater was able to keep up with the heat loss all night. Apparently this is the largest heat loss area- which I should have known after watching a UTube by “Grandpa Ron” where he did the same thing (except it was to reduce heat in the RV...but it works both ways...duh!). Thanks again for the idea!
Old 11-01-2019, 01:02 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

glad to be of help...

You'll find the right spot and which way to aim your cube heater depending on just using it alone or with the heat pump or the LP furnace. Just move it around as needed and you'll find a few spots where your more comfortable depending on other heat sources you use.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Updated: novel way to insulate the coach!

Using an oversized emergency blanket (thin Mylar stuff) works amazingly well (better than the heavy blanket) and costs only about $7! Lightweight and packs small- truly amazing to me that it works so well!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0C79E6FD-F818-44DC-BC3E-CCC03C270CF9.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	172396   Click image for larger version

Name:	53FFC003-6476-40C2-AD8A-E648E83E1557.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	172397  

Old 11-11-2019, 05:34 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

nice, I usually have an extra blanket I use but it is certainly more bulky than the E-blanket...... think I'll order one today just to have around.