Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2018, 05:21 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
... Glad to see WGO adopting new technologies ... usually. Like other things in life, there’s a learning curve, however. And we like to learn. Already learned how to plug in the 110v power cord.
So is there a 110 outlet close to the fridge? (And I still don't understand why Winnebago didn't just plug the dang thing in to both 12V and 110.)
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:21 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsontoy View Post
My 2017 View 24v has a pump on the gray water tank. Only because it can not gravity flow into the three inch main drain. It is just a pump but not really a maserator. I gravity drop the black tank, then pump the gray tank, then hook up fresh water to the flush line to do a final rinse.
Thanks; that is good info. I like hearing from experienced owners.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:51 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Several View owners have installed various fixtures into the clean out for the gray tank to drain directly into a garden hose and eliminate the pump. You can see pictures if interested on the Yahoo Skinny Winnie group or Facebook View/Navion Motorhomes group.

With regard to the fridge. I wish I had a compressor fridge since mine has trouble cooling when the outside air is in the 90’s here in FL. It seems most of the folks who have had problems have gotten replacements under warranty or repairs and are now satisfied. Also no need to worry about keeping the rig level.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:14 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooneypaul View Post
Several View owners have installed various fixtures into the clean out for the gray tank to drain directly into a garden hose and eliminate the pump. You can see pictures if interested on the Yahoo Skinny Winnie group or Facebook View/Navion Motorhomes group.

With regard to the fridge. I wish I had a compressor fridge since mine has trouble cooling when the outside air is in the 90’s here in FL. It seems most of the folks who have had problems have gotten replacements under warranty or repairs and are now satisfied. Also no need to worry about keeping the rig level.
Thanks; I appreciate the info. Not sure I want to start modifying stuff right away, so if the macerator pump gets the job done I'll be a happy camper.

I have no doubt that a compressor fridge will provide superior cooling to the absorption units, I just don't understand why Winnebago didn't plug the thing into 110 power. It is designed to work that way, so why not? Very puzzling and I guess I need to call Winnebago and just ask them.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:15 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Does anyone know if the standard windows on the Navion are single pane? I see an option for double pane so I'm curious about that.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:49 AM   #26
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Does anyone know if the standard windows on the Navion are single pane? I see an option for double pane so I'm curious about that.
they are single pane, the double pane is made of acrylic. I was talked out of the double because of the crazing and scratching issues with the acrylic.

I wish I had the double pane ones now

there has been discussion on this before if you search
Old 05-11-2018, 07:34 AM   #27
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBobbo View Post
they are single pane, the double pane is made of acrylic. I was talked out of the double because of the crazing and scratching issues with the acrylic.

Single. Not sure double is worth the effort & $$$ in a Class C as the glass to surface area is small. Your house is different. The MCD double shades are probably as effective.

If you are looking to limit solar radiation to the inside, consider one of the ceramic films like the 3M product on all glass...including windshield & doors.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:23 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBobbo View Post

I'm actually glad to hear the panes are single. Right now the double panes in our Bounder are failing and I'm beginning to see haze forming between the panes. That will be a high-dollar (or labor-intensive DIY) repair that I don't care to deal with on another RV.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:25 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post
Single. Not sure double is worth the effort & $$$ in a Class C as the glass to surface area is small. Your house is different. The MCD double shades are probably as effective.

If you are looking to limit solar radiation to the inside, consider one of the ceramic films like the 3M product on all glass...including windshield & doors.
That's a good idea. Also the fabric sunshades (Magneshade, etc.) work great.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:25 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

Another goofy question... What is behind that small panel under the passenger's feet; the locked compartment with a wrench on it? Is that a tool box area?
Old 05-12-2018, 05:10 PM   #31
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Another goofy question... What is behind that small panel under the passenger's feet; the locked compartment with a wrench on it? Is that a tool box area?
It is storage bin for jack, tire changing tools, extension handles, socket for lug BOLTS. Yes....Mother (like every Cherman car I've had) uses BOLTS not nutz on the wheels.

If you have aluminum rims and a steel spare, you should check that you have the correct bolts for both types. You can't use AL wheel bolts on steel wheels and vicey versy.

Important to learn the proper lifting points on the chassis. Never by th banjo or pumpkin on the rear axle and never by the front transverse frame member!!! Only by the lif points or rear spring mount pads on the axle.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:02 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

Quote:
It is storage bin for jack, tire changing tools, extension handles, socket for lug BOLTS. Yes....Mother (like every Cherman car I've had) uses BOLTS not nutz on the wheels.

If you have aluminum rims and a steel spare, you should check that you have the correct bolts for both types. You can't use AL wheel bolts on steel wheels and vicey versy.

Important to learn the proper lifting points on the chassis. Never by th banjo or pumpkin on the rear axle and never by the front transverse frame member!!! Only by the lif points or rear spring mount pads on the axle.

More good info!

Does the Navion come with a spare?
Old 05-12-2018, 09:13 PM   #33
Living The Dream

Quote:
... snip ...
Does the Navion come with a spare?
Yes! Mounted under the rig behind the differential and the back of the rig.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:14 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Yes! Mounted under the rig behind the differential and the back of the rig.
Yay. Thanks, Warren.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:17 AM   #35
Winnie-Wise

Yes. 3500 chassis comes with spare & rim. However..... It is an OEM steel rim. If you have the optional Alcoa aluminum rims, you still get a steel spare tire. The Alcoa wheels are only on the front axle and the outer wheel of the rear duals. (Hence, my earlier comment to be sure the tool kit has the correct lug bolts!).
Old 05-13-2018, 09:53 PM   #36
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Yes. 3500 chassis comes with spare & rim. However..... It is an OEM steel rim. If you have the optional Alcoa aluminum rims, you still get a steel spare tire. The Alcoa wheels are only on the front axle and the outer wheel of the rear duals. (Hence, my earlier comment to be sure the tool kit has the correct lug bolts!).
Duly noted!!
Old 05-16-2018, 04:50 PM   #37
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks so much for this explanation and info. The 2019 probably operates the same way. I had "assumed" the macerator was on the toilet/black tank since what I know about a macerator is that it pulverizes solids into a slurry... which didn't make sense for gray water. I suppose tank location makes it necessary to pump, but I wish the 24V had the simple gravity system.

The vacu-flush toilet in our Bounder is a pump system and it has always been an annoyance. It's noisy and I spend a lot of time worrying about a failure. (I like to worry about things in advance. )
Sorry I'm late, but I just spotted this topic in my weekly digest email.
My 2018 N24V low profile (or whatever it's called when you pass on the cab over bunk option?) has a macerator for the gray tank. There's also a low water drain with a plug underneath the rear end. I stopped at a local plumbing supply company and added an "emergency" drain valve with a 1" hose fitting, in case the macerator ever fails. I can use it to gravity drain my gray tank. Got the idea off a guy on irv2, or Sprinter Source, I can't recall, it's been a blur since we took delivery.
Have only had our N24V for just over 7 weeks, and haven't had a chance to live test everything yet in the real world. I'm hoping our fridge doesn't have the thermostat problem, and have it on on the driveway right now in "test mode" to see whether we have problems or not.
The OCCC on ours was less than we expected, even with no cab over bunk, the Truma AquaGo tankless WH, and the aluminum wheels. We did add the rear stabilizers which adds weight. That said, we've managed to load her up to travel, and still have enough GCWR to pull our 2016 JKU if necessary. We've actually tested that and it seems fine. The 3.0L turbo diesel and transmission combo seem to have plenty of pull on our "diesel puller".
Lastly, I'm planning on adding the 3rd solar panel someone mentioned, and upgrading the batteries at some point soon. I'm also planning on getting someone to tap the propane system and add a "Stay Longer" or "Extend-A-Stay" type T to it, so we can add propane to the system without moving the rig, and so we can run a BBQ grill off the on board supply. For reasons unknown, Winnebago didn't supply one from the factory. Maybe it's because of the tank location deep underneath in the bowels of the chassis. Surely they could have found some place else to put it, to give easier access to it.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:42 PM   #38
Winnebago Owner

Downsizing- reflections

Quote:
We are considering downsizing to a Sprinter-based C from our Class A gasser. We looked at the Navion 24V today and many questions I had for the salesman netted me a blank stare, so I thought I'd come to the experts.

First off, the specs on the 2019 model indicate that the 24V has a mascerator for the black tank. Having never owned an RV with a mascerator, I'm not sure this is something I want. If you own a Navion/View or similar with the mascerator, what do you think? Does it work well or is it just another annoyance? (We have a Vacu-flush toilet in our current motorhome and I really don't want anymore "technology" to deal with for a toilet, if you know what I mean. )

I'm also not thrilled with the compressor-type refrigerator, especially since it's a Norcold. How has your experience been with this so far?

I noticed that the tankless water heater is an option on the 24V; it comes with a 6 gallon water heater. Not sure where the water heater is located since the model we saw had the on-demand system. Is the tankless system dependable or just another expensive annoyance? I'm sure it helps the overall weight to remove the water heater.

And now for the biggie; how is your carrying capacity (CCC)? I see there is a 5k pound tow hitch... is that just for show? We have a Jeep Wrangler that may or may not be a tow vehicle, depending on how overweight the coach will be.

I have read that it's possible to add additional solar panels; has anyone done this and was it worth the money? How about an upgraded inverter?

Sorry for all the questions, but I will appreciate any info you can share. I really like the layout of the 24V and think it will be a good "downsize" vehicle for us.
Hello! We just bought a 24D and just love the tankless water heater (no problems- never out of hot water- no tank of water to lug around), the Norcold refrigerator is great- with the compressor you don’t need to be exactly level for it to work. Our carrying capacity is about 1200 pounds (not included is water tank weight). If you tow a car, the tongue weight is what counts against the carrying capacity- and it can tow up to 5000 lbs.
We don’t have a mascerator and I frankly don’t see the need.
We did put in a progressive industries electrical management system (vice the portable one you plug in outside the cabin). Be glad to show you pictures of how we installed it. I also got a Mercedes-Benz chassis battery trickle charger (but off of Amazon - much cheaper). I found the chassis battery kept loosing voltage and after just a few days it was below the recommended 12.2 volts. Now it is always at 13.5 and I never have to worry about it. I don’t think you need another solar panel unless you are dry camping a lot.
I suggest you look at the 24d because you get a whole lot more inside room (a couch!) and a much longer kitchen counter (space!) because the couch is a queen Murphy bed with access from both sides.
Last suggestion is to get dually tire stem steel valves in place of what comes from the manufacturer. It was SO hard to check the air pressure much less add air- but with them it is a breeze. $300 with labor included.
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:59 PM   #39
Winnebago Master

Noted the comments on windows. We ordered the dual pane acrylic windows because they flip out from the bottom edge, and if you're inside during inclement weather, they can be opened, and the shades can be engaged half way up from the bottom, with the screen portion open up top. You can use all shades, all screens, or some combination of both. I'm not sure if the single pane windows open by sliding them sideways, but we had flip open from the bottom edge in our class B van, and we wanted something similar for fresh air when it rains, so we had to go with the "Euro-styled" dual pane acrylics. They also don't have a seam between the two half windows, running top to bottom in the middle of the field of view. They are one piece from side to side and top to bottom, no break in the view. Also they can be opened completely by dropping the shade to the bottom of the frame, and raising the screen to the top of the frame. Very flexible functionally.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:27 PM   #40
Winnebago Owner

Feedback on Navion 24

Sarah,

I am new to motorhome ownership, but not new to the issues that come with certain models. I have three friends that have the sprinter Chasse Navion 24. After watching them for the last few years I decided not to go that route. Instead I bought a Winnebago, Itasca, Sunstar 26HE with the Ford V10. The pros and cons are as follows.

Spinter = better mileage. Average of the three is 15 mpg if you keep under 65 mph. Over 65 mph mpg goes to 12 mpg.

Cons = high cost of maintenance. Fuel filters every 10,000 miles is about $250. Diesel fuel is rising in cost in the western states and is about .20 cents above premium. Oil changes every 5,000 miles is double the cost of a V10.

Cons = all three friends complain about the small shower. Two of the three are 6 footers like me and just use the outside shower. The refrigerators are small and the freezer is small. All three women complain about this and envy our standard size refrigerator freezer.

Cons = no storage space. I have built external storage racks on two of the Navions to accommodate needed storage.

Sunstar = pros.

Same length as the two Navions that I added external storage rack to the rear bumper frame mount. But, almost 50% more storage.

Shower is full size and separate from toilet. Toilet is simple straight dump. One of the Navions already had the macerator go out which was costly to repair., and another had the lift pump go out that is used to push grey water through the black water system to flush it. $$$$$$

Sunstar has high ground clearance. Easy to slide underneath and service everything. This is a plus for me as I do my own maintenance. The Navions are very low ground clearance. My friends who bought them did so to go to smaller music festivals where length is limmited in the smaller campgrounds. However? They have found that the smaller rugged campgrounds require a little higher ground clearance. So it’s a wash.

Sunstar has more internal living space and a bigger cockpit area. My friends that bought Navions thought the convenience of being able to exit the vehicle without having to walk through the motorhome would offset the loss of cockpit space. It didn’t.

Cons of the Sunstar = 10 mpg average compared to 15 mpg on the Navion. On a hard day of steep grades 10 mpg goes to 8 mpg. But, I bout my Sunstar gently used with 30,000 miles for $45,000. My three friends bought their Navions gently used with 30 to 40,000 miles on them for $75 to $80,000. That difference buys a lot of gas.

Con. Sunstar has a solid front axel. Nation has independent coil springs and drives like a 1 ton Chevy Silverado. Not really and issue until you hit old rough two lane highways with pot holes. I just slow down. I shouldn’t be in a hurry anyway.

So, for me, it was a question of bang for the buck and true cost to own. The Navions were just to small for me. I love the drive train. I actually own a 2006 Jeep Liberty diesel that I love the performance and I know I would love the performance of the Sprinter drive train. But all things being equal the V10 has more than enough power and I find that being able to take a real shower and have a real toilet that is simple to use and dump, and the Sunstar carries 60 gallons of fresh water compared to the Navion’s 35 galling, more living space and more storage I chose the Sunstar.

The only modification I made to the Sunstar was I built a custom rear bumper to hold my sewer dump hoses and fittings so I don’t have to store them I’m a compartment. But, I built the same bumpers for two of the Navions.

Hope this helps.
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote