Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2019, 10:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Narrowing it down to a 26A Minnie Winnie - Input Appreciated

Wondering about the pros and cons of getting a Class C Minnie Winnie 26A Thought we'd get a View, but decided taht we need more wardrobe and pantry for the longer trips The layout is similar to our previous RV, but hoped to get input about your satisfaction with the unit.

1) Used (2016, 2017, 2018) vs New Have there been many updates that you you wish you had that are currently available on the newest units Anything they have you would wish you had added on? Trying to figure out if the layout is the same.

2) Towing ability? We have a Honda CRV that we flat towed with the Forester Any thoughts

3) Handling / Sway? We moved up to a Class A and were all over the road before we invested heavily in all kinds of track bars, safety plus etc.

4) Any other thoughts re options or experience with your rig

Thanks in advance
Camping girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

If your towing a CRV should have plenty wardrobe space in that and with all the overhead storage in the 24v view we always have plenty pantry. Better think long and hard the View is pretty special and 6 cyl diesel is the best
TN VIEWer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:05 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2018 26A Minnie and pull a 2005 Nissan Frontier P/U. The Coach is built on a 2017 Ford E450 Chassis and is powered by a Ford Triton V10 Gas engine. I have PLEANTY of power... much more than my last setup that had a 6L Chevy Vortec. MPG is 8-9 and drops up to 1 mpg when towing. The six speed transmission works very well with maintaining engine speed in a power zone when going over the hills. The coach is comfortable. The large wardrobe was the selling point to us. It is great. The slide out bed is a bit of a Pain, but only during opening and closing. It is comfortable and certainly provides us with extra room. The U-Shaped Dinette is OK.. it gives plenty of room if you have guest in. The Flip up foot rest are totally useless. I took them both off and built a Door to access the area under the seat. Refrigerator is large. Toilet has plenty of room and shower is large. The Radio that came in the E450 is VERY difficult for this old man to use, and ours does NOT have a GPS. Our Mirrors are NOT remote adjustable... but once set it doesn't matter. Storage is Fair-Good. Quite a bit of room, but it is spread into many doors on the outside. Easy to add Solar panels. Very comfortable to drive, and is very stable, even when Big Trucks zoom past. Coach is very low to the ground, so ground clearance must be watched before going Off-Roading. Coach batteries are very accessible. Tires are available at just about anyplace that sells tires and are not overly expensive. I don't have a spare tire... that is a debatable issue. Ignition and parking brake must be on/engaged in order to operate the Slides. Water tank is under the bed and 100% above floor... some good/bad points to that. 4K generator works fine. I have an exhaust system that puts the generator exhaust up to the top of the coach to be campground friendly. Our coach does NOT have any leveling jacks. So far just a few plastic blocks have been all that we have needed. It does nave adjustable Air Bags on the rear axle. There are certainly less expensive coaches out there, but so far I think that this is a high quality coach and worth the extra. Don't know what else to say about it. What ever you get, I wish you well with it.
Snakebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:13 AM   #4
Minnie Winnie 26A

I also have a 2018 26a. We researched motorhomes for over a year and went to several shows and have probably been inside of everyone under 30 feet. We decided that the 26a was the perfect Blend of size comfort and quality. I think the quote above from snake bite pretty much nailed it. Very stable on the road. Unlike him I do like the foot rest. However however, you need some pillows for your backrest to be comfortable. I added a 12-volt TV to the bedroom which the unit is already pre-wired for. The antenna is excellent for the TV by the way. Like the larger propane tank than most units. The slide out bed in the rear is excellent as you can slide this out even when in a place that doesn't allow the side slides to go out. With the back bed out the entire unit is still very livable. Added a third battery to mine and two 100 watt solar panels which allows us to Boondock much easier. Roof is as much higher quality than many units. We tow a Jeep Wrangler with no problem. Highly recommend the NSA tow bar with built-in braking. Refrigerator has been excellent and keeps ice cream perfectly in the freezer. Love the full extension slide-out pantry. We haven't regretted our choice ever. Good luck with yours.
GaryKowal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:22 PM   #5
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Have you compared the outside storage (trunk/basement) between the two models? This is a very important component that newbies tend to overlook because of lack of experience in the RV field. You will bring along a lot more "stuff" than you can imagine.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I wanted more pantry and storage too so I went with a View 24M which gives you twice as much kitchen and pantry space and twice as much storage by omitting the back bedroom. It’s a minor inconvenience to have a sleeper sofa, but it really makes the 24M seem much more spacious than other models. I use a 3” gel foam mattress topper which I keep in the.cab over which makes the sleeper sofa as comfortable as a real bed. And of course there’s no comparison as to the gas mileage difference between a diesel vs a gas engine. We tow a CRV and regularly get 15 mpg. They don’t make the 24M anymore, but there’s a similar model available with a trundle bed. Hope this helps.
Markaustx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

We purchased 2018 26A in may 2018. We have traveled 8,000 miles thus far. Like the space and now tow a 2013 CRV with success. Checked and calculated cost of diesel unit and additional fuel. Found we would have to travel 10-12,000 miles annually to break even at cost of diesel unit. Sprinter chassis.
byoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:55 PM   #8
2018 22M

Love my 26A

I bought a new 2017 Spirit 26A (same as MW) in May 2018 for a great price since 19’s had come out. I traded my 8-mo old ‘new-when-I-bought-it’ LEMON Thor Vegas 24.1 w/no bed slide. I absolutely love my 26A! It had the premium package & I really like that. I sprung for an aftermarket auto-leveler system as I travel alone & didn’t like the work of blocks. I flat tow a Fiat w/a Blue Ox system with brakes. Can’t tell it’s back there. Lots of power. I drive too fast so mph not great but would not trade my 26A for anything. Handles beautifully. I figured out an easy way to bring bed in all made up so no issue there. Good luck.
dnta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:19 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We also have the 26a. We liked the space for the size. Still trying to figure out how to easily deploy and retract the bed. Any hints?
Radman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:44 PM   #10
2018 22M

Re deploying and retracting the bed in 26A: I keep it made up both coming in and out. I'm on my own but it works (it would be EASY with 2 people - one to hold the mattress and one to deploy the button!). When I go to bring it in I lift up the whole foot of the mattress with both arms as as high as I can (I DO NOT attempt to fold the mattress where the 2 parts meet) then turn around and brace the bed foot with my back to have it stay UP as it's coming in. I push against it as it comes in and the foot curls up toward the ceiling. By doing this, once in, the whole foot of the bed ends up resting against the wall where the bedroom door is as I ride along. When I let it back out I have to keep doing little shoves to push it toward the rear with my back (so I can also reach the button since I'm alone.). As I shove/push, the head of the mattress moves toward the rear window, and I do that until I can't anymore (w/o letting go of the button - again, with 2 people would be no problem). Then, after it stops I shove the bed from the foot so it goes the rest of the way to the window. I have NO ISSUES at all with having to make and remake the bed this way. I was happy the day I figured it out. I know it's probably hard to understand with words. One day I'll have someone take pics or a video to try to illustrate. :-)
dnta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:53 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Ok thanks. I think I understand.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:06 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

So glad to find this thread as we were interested in this model. Can anyone tell me what the cargo handling capacity of the 26A is? It has so much storage space (a real pantry!) and we would fill it up fast...Thanks!
lfcjasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:19 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Yellow label on my door is something like 2600 lbs which was one thing we liked.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:35 AM   #14
Minnie Winnie 26A

Our label is about 2400# if I remember. 26A is great, but outside it only has about 50 cf. Under the seats is all storage. Someone else above removed the footrest on his and then removed the roof boxes under the seats. Pantry space can be doubled by making or buying tall see thru boxes that fit in them, so you can pile stuff to the drawer above. We have our plates and silverware stored vertical above the sink. Only used the left 12 inches of cabinet for all of them. Of course you can tow a toad and have unlimited storage��. Our last unit we had, we loaded to the limit. This one, we decided not to do that again and we like it better. Amazing what we don't miss. Less is better. Good luck.
GaryKowal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 12:39 PM   #15
Hal
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKowal1 View Post
Our label is about 2400# if I remember. 26A is great, but outside it only has about 50 cf. Under the seats is all storage. Someone else above removed the footrest on his and then removed the roof boxes under the seats. Pantry space can be doubled by making or buying tall see thru boxes that fit in them, so you can pile stuff to the drawer above. We have our plates and silverware stored vertical above the sink. Only used the left 12 inches of cabinet for all of them. Of course you can tow a toad and have unlimited storage��. Our last unit we had, we loaded to the limit. This one, we decided not to do that again and we like it better. Amazing what we don't miss. Less is better. Good luck.
Would you please share the size of the plastic bins? Thanks
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 06:04 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

We recently purchased a 2021 22M. We’re so impressed with the newer 7.3L gas engine. It has improved HP and Torque from the V-10. Although it’s our 1st Big Gas engine (we had 2 Travatos), we’re very pleased with the performance. Plus we have a Ford Truck Service Center near our home. The closest Sprinter Service Center is a good 60-70 miles away. On our last 2 600 mile trips, we easily averaged 11.5 mpg. That Godzilla V-8 is a Beast! The Inside layout and storage is perfect for us. However when it’s time to trade up, we’d consider a 26 model.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote