Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-24-2018, 08:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Motorhome service plans

Hi,
We are first time Rv-ers and we are looking to purchase a used Vew 24G.
I was told by the dealer that none of the original warranties carry over. The rv only has 2500 mile and was purchased new in October of 2016. I would be willing to buy it if I knew that I could purchase an extended warranty through a reputable company. I've read good and bad about Good Sam and Coach net. Any thoughts?
dparro09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:25 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Save your money. Service plans are expensive and require you to get prior authorization before repairs are made. Tell the dealer to extend a bumper to bumper warranty to you for at least 90 days at no charge to you if you decide to buy.

This will get you the motorhome without needing to spend the several thousand dollars for the warranty. 90 days is more than enough time to uncover any major issues.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Stay away from Cornerstone.......ripoff and lousy customer service and not very friendly.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I bought my service contract through the dealer I got the coach from and when something breaks down I bring it to them and it gets approved and fixed without any issues. Unless it is a chassis issue most things can wait until you get back and go to the dealer. If it's a chassis issue you are going to bring it to the nearest Mercedes Benz dealer and have them fix it as the RV dealer would send it out and car dealers deal with service contracts all the time. Remember if it is a minor repair it will probably cost less than the deductible and ask yourself if it is a total failure (other than chassis) are you going to change your trip and wait for parts or replacement to come in. Probably not. This would be different if you were planning on being a full timer or even a 3-6 month snowbird and you needed service right away in an unfamiliar location. The real keys are getting a service contract that the people doing the most work on your RV work well with and having a good road service plan as they can often talk you through problems or send a service out to do minor repairs and keep you going.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Agree with both luvlabs and cojaguar. Hugely disappointed with both Cornerstone and with Good Sam.

We are big believers in self insur. Cars, appliances et al. I guess the price of this rig and horror stories from others overwhelmed us. Initially went with Cornerstone. Three times we asked for assistance from them in the first 18 months. (nothing major) Zip, nada, nothing, wala! Deep sixed them. Everyone said, "you should have gone with Good Sam". Did. Like Cornerstone, they are tickled to take you on a tour of the fine print. Deep sixed them, too.

Suggest luvlabs has the right idea. Also suggest you read your manuals, stay on top of your scheduled maintenance and bank your saved premiums for acts of God.
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I didn't renew my Good Sam after two disappointments.

The first; I needed new Norcold lower doors because the door seals wore out. Nope they wouldn't replace them. I had even paid extra bucks, big bucks to cover seals.

The second; I got stuck up to the axle in some sand. They sent a 25 year old in a pick up truck, no tools, nothing but an old pick up. I weigh in at 34,000 lbs. I called a real tow truck company and after an hour I was freed. Sam refused to pay the bill. Said I called them so I have to pay.

Save your money, self insure.
Stu and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, service