Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2019, 10:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Minnie Winnie Slide creeped out during driving

Has anyone had their slide creep out while driving? I was on some very bumpy and off center roads today and I noticed when we stopped that our slide had creeped out about 2 inches. I read on some other forums that some slide motors have a lock lever. Does anyone know if that applies to a 2017 Minnie Winnie 31K and where the motor is located? This is the first time we noticed the slide crept out.

Thank you!
dick_slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:46 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Does your slide have two outside rails on each side? This would be a Schwintek slide mechanism. There is another similar model used as well. The slide should be completely retracted and the switch held for an extra 3-4 seconds once the slide is in. This "locks" the slide in place.

These types of slides actually use two motors and they are mounted in the walls above the slide. There are no manual locking levers.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Yes it’s got the rails so it’s got to be a Schwintek system. Thank you for the help! I must not have been pulling it in all the way. Once it seemed all the way in I would depress the switch out of worry of breaking something.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Does your slide have two outside rails on each side? This would be a Schwintek slide mechanism. There is another similar model used as well. The slide should be completely retracted and the switch held for an extra 3-4 seconds once the slide is in. This "locks" the slide in place.

These types of slides actually use two motors and they are mounted in the walls above the slide. There are no manual locking levers.
I was told when we did our PDI to leave the power to the slide energized while traveling (we have a separate power switch in addition to the retract/extend switch). The tech said this keeps a magnetic brake energized. But we also hold the retract button for a few seconds after the slide is fully inserted.

The manual states:
Retracting Slide-out Room
1. Press and hold the IN/OUT switch (Fig. 1A) in the IN position until the room is fully retracted and stops moving.
NOTE: It is important to continue to press the slide-out switch for a few seconds after the room is fully retracted until the motor shuts off. The control will sense that the room has stopped and will shut off the motor after a few seconds.
2. Release the switch, which will hold the room in its position.
3. Install the transit bars (if so equipped)
Some friends of ours have an Apex with the Schwintek drive; theirs came with the transit bars to insert over the slide when retracted to prevent it from slipping out while traveling.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I’ve got to check out those transit bars. That might be the best thing for added security. Thanks!
Old 07-01-2019, 04:49 PM   #6
Site Team

About the type of slide system. Both the Schwintek and the Slim Rack type of slide mechanisms from Lippert (LCI) have rails on the sides. But, they are not the same kind of rails, nor are they attached the same way.

If the "gears" on the rails look like "U" and upside down "U" and is screwed directly on to the side of the slide then it's a Schwintek. If it's more gear-like, with normal gear teeth and it's set off about an inch away from the side of the slide it's a Slim Rack PowerGear design.

Here's photos: (first is Slim Rack, second is Schwintek)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slimRack.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	171840  
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2019, 11:16 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

If you want to go the transit bar route, you can easily make a couple out of a 2"X4". With the slide all of the way in, measure the distance between the wall and the frame around the slide. Cut the wood to length and lay on top of the slide for travel. Just don't forget to remove before you put the slide out.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
If you want to go the transit bar route, you can easily make a couple out of a 2"X4". With the slide all of the way in, measure the distance between the wall and the frame around the slide. Cut the wood to length and lay on top of the slide for travel. Just don't forget to remove before you put the slide out.
\

I used a 7/8" dowel and crutch tips for ours (last RV, fifth wheel).
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:06 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I bought a transit bar from Amazon that I love, it just screws in place.
Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:58 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Winnebago relies solely on the brakes inside the LCI Swintek motors to hold the slides in. They don't add electrical or manual slide locks to their RVs with this system. I had my long slide start to creep out when driving in cross wind. I was out of warranty and Winneago and LCI Swintek declined to make it right or even provide partial coverage of the cost to replace the 2 motors, which is what Winnebago side the fix action is. Then, you have no way to know if the replacement motors won't do the same darn thing down the way a year or two. ARRRGH.

Since I was out of warranty and it would cost over $ 1,000 for parts and labor to replace the motors, I made transit blocks out of 2x4 and used heavy duty velcro strips on the 2x4 and slide wall to hold the blocks firmly in position right above the tracks.

To make sure the slide out switch never gets operated with the transit blocks in, I use a small piece of hard plastic (an extra plastic separator out of a parts cabinet drawer) behind the OUT side of the slide switch held there by velcro. It prevents operation of the OUT side of the switch until it is flipped around so it's not under the switch. Once side is labeled SLIDE LOCKED and other side is labeled SLIDE UNLOCKED.

Works great, I just have to remember as part of my check list to flip the plastic when I put the 2x4s in.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:34 PM   #11
JML
Winnebago Camper

I have conducted a lot of research on the Schwintek slide system due to the lack of information provided by my local RV Dealer. I contacted the company directly and had a lengthy conversation with a technician regarding whether or not there is a need to engage the power switch during travel. The technician from Schwintek stated there is "NO" reason to do this. In fact, he stated the way the system is designed the motor is locked at all times unless you manually disengage the motor from the spline. Additionally, make sure you engage the slide in/out button for an extra 2-3 seconds when opening and closing your slide. According to the technician this calibrates the two motors and must be done each time to ensure the slide operates properly. I hope this information helps.

Also, if anyone wants to know how to manually disconnect the motors on a Schwintek slide in event your slide gets stuck in the open position reach out to me and I can walk you through the process. Nothing worse then being stuck with your slide open and not being able to travel. I know some may say just bypass the motors via the controller; however, you need to know what to so if this doesn't work. I can tell you from personal experience that the bypass method does not work if one of the motors go out.

JML
Micro Minnie 2106DS
JML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JML View Post
... Also, if anyone wants to know how to manually disconnect the motors on a Schwintek slide in event your slide gets stuck in the open position reach out to me and I can walk you through the process. ...
JML

Is is possible to provide a brief description here in this thread, hopefully with some photos. I've looked at on-line videos on how to disengage the motors and they always seem to skip over critical parts (like how one removes the seal without destroying it).

It would be nice information to have in one's back pocket - just in case!

Thanks.

Tags
slide