Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-29-2019, 10:07 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Minnie Winnie, Navion Sidewalls

Hi, looking at the high side and the affordable model Class C Winnebago's. A question that I can't find a clear answer to is:
Does Winnebago use Azdel in the sidewalls of the Minnie Winnie and Navion instead of Luan?
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

What's "Azdel"?

From the 2018 Navion brochure,
"Thermo-Panel® Sidewalls By layering fiberglass
and high-density block foam insulation with
welded aluminum support structures, we create
some of the industry’s strongest, most durable,
and lightweight sidewalls."

If that's Azdel, then yes.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:43 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

So the question is then is it the Azdel product as used by other manufacturers or is Winnebago's "Thermo-Panel" a similar product or just Azdel with a Winnebago twist to the name?
Old 07-30-2019, 03:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Why not ask them yourself?
Their tech people reside at the other end of this email address

[email protected]
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:36 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Luan? For exterior structural components? Maybe for some non structural bits like a lavatory door..... but outside where it's subjected to the stresses of heat, cold and moisture? Probably not a great idea.

As before....WBGO has for at least several decades used the "Thermal-Panel" reinforced with aluminum supports for building the RV "box".
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:34 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Sheez........I remember the days when a simple question was asked.........a polite informative response would be forth coming...........Dad always taught me "If you can't say nothing nice......don't say anything at all" Kind of thought the idea of forums was to be a place to learn and also for others to learn along with the poster. Sad this Forum is going the way of many other forums. No, I'm not thin skinned..............16 plus years of Law Enforcement including transporting Detainees for the USMS has made me just the opposite.
By the way Luan is used by many RV manufacturers including motor homes for side wall construction during the lamination process. Delamination occurs when the luan in the sidewall gets wet and becomes mush.

Since I couldn't get a straight or friendly answer here............I did further investigating. What Win. calls Themo Panel sounds like their renameing of Azdel for their sidewalls. From what I found they have been using it since 2006. I think owners of older Wins will attest to sidewall delam. issues.
For those who don't know and who care this is what Azdel is:
https://www.azdelonboard.com/
Old 08-01-2019, 12:11 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Leo, As you said, Luan rots when it is wet. Precisely why I'd steer well clear of anything with 'luan' or thin ply wood in an exterior structure, Thin ply wood may have been used (probably was used) decades ago in RV exterior construction which is why Airstream became so popular. They are Al-U-Minium.

A casual look at RVs passing though WallyWorld lots is an unscientific way to assess the construction and materials used in RVs and trailers. Many older ones with the FG laminate panel construction will look damn good..... maybe faded a bit and worn around the edges, here and there but basically solid after many years and miles. OTH, there are some pull-behinds and older RVs that used a different material and construction, it's obvious from the bubbling, wrinkling, sagging and detachment of the outer covering that they are different. Rarely do you see a 'high end' Class A with panel problems.

Unfortunately, some of these RVs and trailers are only a few years old and already look like they are ready for the knackers yards with whole panels and lower edges of panels totally failing. Or 5ers that have huge sagging wrinkles and bubbles in the nose. And yes, you will see some with flapping tops.... or at least a giant bubble forming under the low pressure area just behind the nose on the roof while underway.

Now one could SWAG.... or just WAG ..... that the cause is not due to moisture entering from the outside of the panel but from the high humidity generally found in in the inside of RVs that are used for long periods with poor ventilation.

Sorry, Bud.... I don't think that anyone was disrespectful, rude in response. Blunt perhaps....
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:23 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

all to often questions are asked that can be asked and answered directly and correctly to a manufacturer or supplier. Here you for the most part will get second hand info and opinions.

there is a lot of real experience here if needed for many repairs and workarounds and a great place to get opinions that vary

https://www.azdelonboard.com/ for their website

It appears to have an extra layer under the fiberglass that is called azdel, as far as I saw on the factory tour Winnebago does not have that layer. As previously mentioned it would be prudent to contact Winnebago directly if it really matters to you.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:49 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Aha.......I went to a dependable source..Lichtsinn RV.
Here is the answer in their Blog:
https://www.lichtsinn.com/blog/winne...te-fiberglass/