Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2017, 09:14 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Exclamation Mercedes problems

Is anyone else having problems with their Winnebago built on the Mercedes diesel and sprinter chassis? We are starting to wish we had gone with Ford or Dodge.

In under 50,000 miles, we’ve had two sensors go out. No problems with the vehicle, just faulty sensors saying we have problems. The first sensor cost us $410 plus tax on parts. We learned from another dealer that RPM Senors have been a huge problem for Mercedes. Ours was left rear wheel so we have three more that could fail. We were told by our new dealer Mercedes has so many problems with sensors that they are covered by a 100,000 mile extended warrantee and we should get our money back. But corporate Mercedes said, “No.”

The latest senor to go out is the oxygen emission sensor. Our new Mercedes dealer (we moved from Louisville to Florida) says they will cover the cost. Since it is about emissions I’m thinking it could be an EPA rule that has not yet been revoked.

We are also having problems getting the recalled driver’s side air bag replaced. We’ve been waiting over 2-years and were told last week there is no end in site. I just checked some websites and we can purchase a Kevlar vest for about $200. Since my wife and I are about the same size, we might get away with only one vest for the driver. That’s half the price of a sensor that reports non-existent problems.

Has anyone else had sensor problems? Have you had the recalled driver side air bag replaced?
SocioSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have have the exact same issue with sensors. The engine light comes on sporadically which was freaky until we found the sensor is about all the light alerts you for. We also are waiting for the dealer to get the airbag recall parts, I’m not holding my breath. But I have to add the sprinter MB is overall a superior rig. Very good mileage, ride and awesome acceleration and power for a 3 liter!
Madoglucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:15 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I have a 2016 and as of yet only had problems with the steering wheel button system.

I just had it to MB for service and they forced a regen on the emissions. I was told when they force a cleaning it is more efficient and does a better job than the auto clean feature. According to the dealer they have noticed emission problems at 110-115k miles... that's after the warranty expires. The forced cleaning every few oil changes is supposed to keep the future problems from happening.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:28 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Emission system warranty (and that includes rear wheel speed sensors and a bunch of other things) is 5 years or, if your state follows the California rules, 7 years.

Air bag replacements effect a lot of manufacturers so be patient. I think the kevlar vest is a bit extreme but since you are moving to Florida, maybe a good idea since the hot, humid weather makes those airbag explosive units even more unstable.

Forced regen is not something that you need or want to do. Normal highway driving, use of the correct oil, and <5% biodiesel and you should not have a dpf filter get clogged or require service. Maybe at some extreme mileage at 200k or so, it would need to be cleaned. Doing it more often is just a way to put money in your dealer's pocket.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

It states in the emissions warranty book that the sensors are covered. Find it in the manual and call Mercedes. Several folks have received refunds for this. My rig has been reliable so far only problems have been WB warranty issues.

You have not made a bad decision. Great handling, mileage, comfort.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Bought a used 2013 Itasca Reyo this summer. Only had 8,000 miles on it. First trip we took we had issues with left rear speed sensor. MB dealer repaired it and 600 miles later the right side goes bad
Not a warm fuzzy feeling about the sprinter at this point to say the least. I do think they have issues with the sensors as they were both covered under an extended warranty which was a nice surprise.
Fourjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Update on sensor warning light warrantees

After corporate Mercedes told us the warning lights were not under warrantee, our new dealer in Daytona Beach, Fl. printed the warrantee out for us.

We then went back to the dealer in Louisville who did the work. They agreed it was under warrantee, claiming they had just learned that and were trying to find a way to pay us. (I was thinking a check would work).

A week later we called back and were told that our refund had been approved and they would send a check soon. Still waiting but we do expect it to arrive.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and encouraging us to continue working to get out money back.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Hi, I just joined. I have a 2012 View-M and had a turbo hose blow with 12K on an interstate on a very steep hill. I was in the left lane, first vehicle passing a slow semi and lost all power, very scary. Sat on the side of the road for 4 hours. MB sent the WRONG tow truck after telling them it was NOT a Sprinter van. After 10K more miles, I had to replace the DEF sensor (MIGHT have gotten a bad batch of DEF). I was in Monument Valley and the DEF light came on and the counter wasn't working (the tank was full). My mechanic suggested I not turn the vehicle off until I got home (5 Hours). Then a turbo overheating sensor went out, wasn't close to a MB dealer, so made the decision to drive it home 120 miles. I agree with OP, for RV'ing it might make sense to have an engine that can be worked on in any town in the US or at least be scanned accurately.-Peggy
Pegk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to the folks who POST the YEAR of their Sprinters!!!
Gene36542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:03 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

RE Air bag replacement.
I registered as 2nd owner w Mercedes as detailed in Mercedes owners manual. About 4 mths later got a drivers side air bag replacement notice, dealer in Denver performed the replacement, no problem.

RE Senors:

Have had no sensor issues w 2014 Navion on Mercedes chassis. Of interest is the air bag sensor, I hit a Mule Deer head-on in the Colorado Rockies going about 40 MPH. No air bag deployment but the deceleration wasn't severe, I was already heavy on the brake pedal so the additional deceleration from the impact was incremental.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:30 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Mercedes problems

So this issue with all the sensors going only happen with the Mercedes engines after 2010 model ?
Gtunche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:52 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Sensors can fail on any generation of Mercedes diesel. The pollution control system is very sophisticated an utilizes a number of sensors to keep everything running, producing maximum power, and minimum emissions.

New engines carry a 5 year (7 year in a number of states) warranty on the pollution control system. That includes all of the sensors. If you are concerned, buy something with a chassis newer than 2013.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:44 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Two different years for same RV

We thought we were buying a 2014 model. But it turned out the 2014 was the Winnebago part. The chassis is 2013. Seems those chassis are bought ahead and site outside in the northern Iowa weather until they get used. I wonder if that has anything to do with their high failure rate.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:52 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Mine is the same chassis 08 year 09..wanted a non Def model so i had to be careful as the chassis is different then the mfg date...when i went to register it the DMV had a hard time registering it as an 09 as the chassis different then the coach!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocioSam View Post
We thought we were buying a 2014 model. But it turned out the 2014 was the Winnebago part. The chassis is 2013. Seems those chassis are bought ahead and site outside in the northern Iowa weather until they get used. I wonder if that has anything to do with their high failure rate.
norcal21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems