Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-04-2018, 06:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Looking For Unbiased Reviews From Aspect/Cambria 30J Owners

As the title says, I am looking for unbiased/honest reviews from ideally more current model years of Winnebago Aspect/Cambria 30J owners. I would like to hear the good and the bad as long as these are honest/unbiased comments. Over the last year I have looked at various models/size RV's at dealers and RV shows from the different manufacturers. From all I have seen I am focused on a Aspect/Cambria 30J. I was hoping to consider something smaller built on a Sprinter chassis, as I would be towing a 6'X10' enclosed trailer with a motorcycle, but I have come to the conclusion I would not be happy with a Sprinter chassis RV. I would be going full-time and the floor plan, etc. of the 30J, in comparison to competing manufacturers in the 30-32 foot Class C's, most definitely meets my requirements the best. I have travelled all over the U.S., Canada, Mainland Mexico, and Baja, Mexico on my motorcycle mostly tent camping so moving over to an RV would be an easy transition I would think. The past 2 years during my travels I have talked to a number of people with RV's and I am fully aware there doesn't appear to be a perfect RV being manufactured. There are plus/minuses with all RV's it appears.

I was able to have the opportunity to check out a Cambria 30J at a local RV dealer and the 30J just felt the way to go based on my needs. Unfortunately, a number of my questions were not able to be answered from the salesman at my local RV dealer but I have been in contact with a dealer a couple of states away from where I live and to date, I have been very impressed with their follow up. Unless I hear something to the contrary, I will undoubtedly purchase my 30J from them. My plan is to spend the cold months in Baja, Mexico and return to the U.S. in the Summer and travel to National Parks, U.S. Forest camp areas, BLM sites, and do some boondocking.

Since this would be a significant investment for me, I would appreciate hearing the good and bad regarding anything, large or small, owners have experienced with their Aspect/Cambria 30J. Hopefully more good than bad... Thanks in advance for your responses.

Bob
Denver, CO
Bob80220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:53 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2016 Aspect 30 J. Our 4th RV and a downsize from our 42' toy hauler 5th wheel. We love the Aspect. We too haul an enclosed trailer with our road bike and a dirt bike. Pulls the trailer perfectly. The only issues we have had are a window vent came unglued and fell off going down the interstate. Fixed now but always retighten all window cranks... lesson learned. Other problem was a small toilet leak. We replaced the toilet as Winnebago said that was the only fix. We put 10K miles on the RV last summer. Perfect size for the two of us, easy to manuver in traffic, set up and break down quickly, great quality, and love the trunk. The only things I miss from the 5th wheel are water capacity, lots of kitchen counter space, and my oven. I can't seem to get the hang of the convection oven! We usually grill anyway so it's a trade off. Being able to move around while traveling is so great. Feel free to ask any specific questions. Good luck!!
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful1 View Post
We have a 2016 Aspect 30 J. Our 4th RV and a downsize from our 42' toy hauler 5th wheel. We love the Aspect. We too haul an enclosed trailer with our road bike and a dirt bike. Pulls the trailer perfectly. The only issues we have had are a window vent came unglued and fell off going down the interstate. Fixed now but always retighten all window cranks... lesson learned. Other problem was a small toilet leak. We replaced the toilet as Winnebago said that was the only fix. We put 10K miles on the RV last summer. Perfect size for the two of us, easy to manuver in traffic, set up and break down quickly, great quality, and love the trunk. The only things I miss from the 5th wheel are water capacity, lots of kitchen counter space, and my oven. I can't seem to get the hang of the convection oven! We usually grill anyway so it's a trade off. Being able to move around while traveling is so great. Feel free to ask any specific questions. Good luck!!
I am curious what size trailer you are pulling and I'm assuming it is an enclosed trailer hauling your 2 motorcycles. I ride an adventure dual sport motorcycle and clock 20K+ miles on an annual basis so I will be taking that in a 6'X10' enclosed trailer. I would start with the one motorcycle but my plan is to also get a small displacement dirt bike as I would be spending the Winter months in Baja, Mexico. I have read on the Forums about having the front end aligned after build out from the factory and other handling features installed like the Safe T Plus steering stabilizer and sway bars. Did you install any of these aftermarket upgrades on your 16 Aspect 30J? Also, any issues with the trailer when turning in tight turning situations? My thought is to also haul additional items in the trailer that I wouldn't want to carry on board the 30J to lessen the CCC. The trailer I have looked at weighs 1,120 lbs and has a GVWR of 2,990 lbs. Even with 2 motorcycles and the anticipated gear I would put in the trailer, I estimate I would not be hauling more than approximately 1,300 lbs. The trailer has a 1,870 lb payload capacity so my tongue weight shouldn't be more than 200-250 lbs.

Regarding the other issues you mentioned I am fully prepared and realize I will undoubtedly encounter some issues with the RV. Just the nature of the beast and I have dealt with that in all the years of my motorcycling. Initially I hadn't considered the Aspect/Cambria 30J until I saw one while in Cuba, New Mexico this past June while on one of my many motorcycle road trips. I must say I was impressed and in talking with the lady driving it I discovered she and her husband had just purchased their Aspect after having a Tiffin Class A RV. So upon my return home I was able to check out a Cambria 30J at a local dealer and the floor plan with the 3 slides was very impressive.

I'm interested with regard as to where you travel and stay in your 30J... do you have any issues in the National Parks, U.S. Forest camp areas getting a spot because of the 32 foot size and towing a trailer? Have you done any boondocking and what issues have you encountered and more specifically with ground clearance? I tend to be somewhat of an adventurists and except for being in Baja, Mexico for extended periods over the Winter months, I will be exploring the National Parks, etc. in the U.S. and Canada.

Thanks again for your reply and if you have any insight to my additional questions I would appreciate your input.

Bob
Denver, CO
Old 08-05-2018, 11:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Our enclosed trailer is 16'x8'. We haul a Honda CTX 1300 and a Honda 450 dirt bike. In the trailer we also have our chairs, outdoor rugs, riding gear, extra gas and lubes, etc., leveling pads, and lots more. No problems turning but if in a tight turn, I always get out just to be on the safe side to make sure we don't jack knife. We have scraped the rear of the trailer before. As far as clearance issues, the main thing we are careful going over are steep curbs/speed bumps, etc. due to the low clearance of the door frame area. There were times when we had to find an alternate exit because of this. We mainly camp in RV parks due to water capacity. We went all over out west in the upper area... Idaho, Montana, Dakotas, etc. We rode the bike in the parks but never camped in any. We have dry camped at some RAZR riding property we own, but take extra water. Our 5th wheel had 150 gallons of fresh water so dropping to 35 was a big adjustment for us. We did not do any aftermarket additions as didn't have a need. One thing we did do was to add a hitch to the front in case we had to be pulled out at the many muddy motorcycle races we attend. Dry camping always at the races. Our son added the hitch to the frame and receiver sticks out where front license plate bracket is located. We drove on a scenic highway in Idaho that had quite the uphill incline for over 100 miles. That was slow going with the trailer but we don't ring out the motor. All things considered, the Aspect fits our needs perfectly. We live in SC and just returned from a month in the FL Keys. It was terribly hot and we had AC set on 80 and still ran lots. We cut silver insulation to fit our cab windows and windshield. Works great and never use the curtain. Helps when we use the heat too. Hope this helps. Feel free to send other questions!!
Old 08-05-2018, 11:25 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

By the way, we bought our Aspect with 3000 miles on it from a place in Ohio. A lady used it to haul her horse trailer to the shows and hated it! Our lucky day! We had been searching and were about to buy new. I found this one, hubby called and bought sight unseen over the phone. Hauled 5th wheel up and traded it too. We saved over 30K over a new one. This one really was brand new. It was the exact color, options, etc. that I wanted. We also have an extra Honda generator in our trailer, air compressor, and a tool box. Our dual sport on order now! Can't wait for next trip to Motocross of Nations in Michigan in October!
Old 08-05-2018, 12:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Very nice on how you acquired your Aspect 30J... Timing is everything!!!

Well you certainly are towing a larger trailer than I would anticipate ever needing for my requirements. Interesting you haven't found the need to install any aftermarket upgrades on your 30J for handling. You mentioned the previous owner towed a horse trailer, did she possibly do any aftermarket handling upgrades? I have read a lot of threads about potential trailer rub in tight cornering situations and some have gone with a longer drawbar. I need to give this some serious thought and analysis as I don't want that to be an issue. Like you, in addition to my motorcycle/motorcycles I would be hauling much of the same gear to keep it out of the RV. Might as well pull it stowed in the trailer... hahaha

I appreciate your comments about the water capacity being a lot less than what you are accustomed to. I deal with that all the time when doing my adventure rides as water is essential and I consume a lot. Doing primarily camping and often times boondocking, I take water very seriously. I will make my base camp, unload my gear, and then ride back to where i can pick up and haul enough water back to camp and replenishing daily upon my return from riding. Water won't be an issue while I'm in Baja as the places I am looking at have full hookups. Water will become a issue when boondocking or staying in a camp area with no hook ups available which will be more often the case for me. But if I have managed living off my motorcycle for 4-5 weeks at at time and I won't tell you how many days in between showers, I think I can handle the water situation living in a 30J without much of a problem.

Good luck with your motorcycle racing!!! Been there done that in my earlier years on the track and Enduro. Now I go off road adventure riding on my Tiger 800... Spent over 2 weeks riding Baja down to Cabo San Lucas and back a couple of years ago camping on the beach every night. Have ridden all over Colorado and Utah off road spending up to 10 days at a time camping along the way. Great stuff!!!

Bob
Denver, CO
Old 08-05-2018, 01:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I replied but didn't post...trying again. The original owner may have had alignment when she purchased but didn't find anything in her paperwork. My husband is an excavation contractor so he's used to hauling backhoe, excavator, etc. Not to mention the 20k 5th wheel we pulled for 8 years. Pulling our trailer is totally easy. We're just careful in sharp turns. No racing for us anymore...that was years ago! My husband raced for Honda 30 years ago! Raced enduros in later years and GNCCs. Raced the inaugural Vegas to Reno! We always carry extra water jugs to fill as needed when we don't have hook ups. Sounds like water won't be an issue for you! Maybe our paths will cross riding one day. We only saw 3 other Aspects last summer over the three month period. We love it! Keep us posted and feel free to ask other questions! Enjoy!!
Old 08-05-2018, 03:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Could be the original owner had the front end properly aligned after purchasing the 30J. From all that I have read that is highly recommended after build out. Reports indicate it calms down the handling. Considering you are towing a much bigger trailer than I would be towing and haven't seen the need for a steering stabilizer or sway-bars, I might consider holding off on those aftermarket upgrades.

I have only see the one Aspect/Cambria 30J in the wild and I'm not sure if it was a 27K or a 30J. I do know that I liked the way it looked and when I got home I went and checked out both. The 30J was more to my liking based on the floor plan. My biggest concern is with towing a trailer and your feedback has been very helpful and I appreciate it very much. I have seen a number of other competing brands out on the road, at the dealers, and RV shows but the 30J has definitely won me over. I have also seen a number of Sprinter chassis RV's including the View/Navion but after looking at them I can't see them meeting my needs. The one thing that was mentioned to me by someone on another Forum was that the AC was noisy. You haven't mentioned that so I'm curious if that is something you have experienced.

Well my motorcycle racing days have long been over... I was involved in dirt racing in the late 60's and into the 70's. Honda wasn't competitive back then in the racing scene... We were riding Bultaco, Penton, Ossa, and Husqvarna.

Bob
Denver, CO
Old 08-05-2018, 04:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Well, AC noise hasn't bothered us since a welcome chill! You're probably close in age to us...early 60s. We love our RV. Had a Forest River and Jayco. Winnebago fit and finish works for us and we're most particular. Added some felt circles in door areas, lined cabinets, etc. We also added double sided Velcro to microwave door as it would open while traveling. Original owner had the same problem. All fine now! I think my husband raced some of those bikes. He was racing in the Hannah days. Such fun! Enjoy!
Old 08-05-2018, 05:40 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I have checked out Thor, Jayco, Tiffin, and numerous other manufacturers. Diesels and gas RV's in Class C and Super C. To be perfectly honest, until I saw the Aspect in Cuba, New Mexico, Winnebago wasn't on my radar. Once I checked out the 30J I was laser locked on it and have dropped the others brands off my list. The floor plan as I have repeatedly mentioned with the 3 side slides just makes the most sense for my needs. Understandable there will need to be a little tweaking needed as you mentioned but I can deal with that. The fit and finish on the 30J is above and beyond the other manufacturers in my opinion. Well, Tiffin had outstanding quality, fit and finish in their Wayfarer interior on the Sprinter chassis but it was simply to small of an interior foot print. As were all the other Sprinter chassis Class C RV's.

It's reassuring that my post hasn't received any negative comments or criticism about the Aspect/Cambria 30J. I know they aren't perfect because from what I have been told over the past 2 years from other RV owners, there isn't a perfect RV... hahaha

I'm a bit older as I became a septuagenarian the end of June this year. Hurricane Hannah was making his mark as I was ending a short go at dirt racing. I was competitive but there were a lot of other riders that were much better than me so I bowed out. Hannah being one when he came on the scene in the mid 70's.

Bob
Denver, CO
Old 08-05-2018, 07:01 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We love the floor plan of the 30J! Just perfect and great quality in our opinion. Tiffin makes a good product but not a floor plan we wanted. Wish Winnebago would put the Aspect on a diesel platform but not going to happen. The 2016 we have is the same floorplan as the 2018...why mess with a great product. Hoping you enjoy your travels as much as we do! You should go to Redbud for MXON. It hasn't come to the US in years. Quite a race!
Old 08-06-2018, 07:45 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Agreed... the floor plan of the 30J is very accommodating in my opinion as well. I have looked a few Class A's and I haven't seen one that has a floor plan I liked as much. Yes, having the 30J on a diesel platform would be very nice but as you mentioned I don't think it's in the cards currently, if ever.

Who knows, I might get to Redbud one day when I become a Road Warrior... I do get out to Thunder Valley in Lakewood, CO when I'm am in town for the Lucas Oil National but this year I was camped in Navajo Nation for a week and missed it.

Bob
Denver, CO
Old 08-06-2018, 07:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

We did Lakewood years ago! Love Colorado! Keep us posted on travels. Such fun! Always new people to meet! Enjoy.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:06 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Just got back on this site and saw your thread on the Aspect/Cambria. Today we purchased a new 2018 30j....our second. First was 2013 and have kicked ourselves since the day we sold it. You're right, you won't see many, but for us, its perfect! We are mainly outdoor people, I even do most the my cooking outside (weather permitting). Yes we had a few issues, nothing major, but were in the area of manufacturer and had everything fixed there...great customer service! We've travelled all over this beautiful country of ours and found our Aspect/Cambria to be just right for us. Easy to drive, never had to worry about height restrictions or not getting gas somewhere and no we are not flying up the mountain roads like some diesel pushers can do, but we've always made it. We have kids in Colorado, of course, one of our favorite places to go.
Agree with Hopeful1 about the diesel!!!
Old 08-27-2018, 07:40 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

The local dealers don't inventory the 30J's, however I was fortunate to the opportunity check out a 2018 Cambria 30J at a local dealer before it was sold. I also had the opportunity to see a 2019 Cambria 27K to compare the two. I found having the 3rd slide with the dinette in the 30J made the floor plan the most appealing for my needs.

I can appreciate that a few minor issues are to be expected with any new RV and it was reassuring that the manufacturer handled these for you in a satisfactory manner.

Congratulations on getting your new 30J!!! Hopefully I will have one either late this year or soon after the New Year.

Bob
Old 08-27-2018, 12:01 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Congratulations!! Love our Aspect! Why did you sell the 2013? Also, do you lube your slides (schwintek)?
Old 08-27-2018, 12:05 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

The 30 J works best for us with the opposing slides in the main living area too. Keep us posted on your purchase. Might also look at RV Trader online! We're off to Redbud in a few weeks for MXON! Go Team USA!!
Old 08-28-2018, 05:00 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Hopeful1, yes we did lube the slides. And to answer your question why we sold our '13...fell in love with a cabin in Dillard, GA and really didn't need both....at the time. After 3 years, the RV bug bit again and thus the new purchase. We thought about another rig, but kept comparing everything to the Aspect....thus the new purchase. We are about as excited as we were when we first started Rving years ago! We can't wait. Selling the cabin and hitting the road. Maine and Yellowstone will be revisited in our future. Yellowstone may have to wait until 2020 as the big campground, Fishing Bridge (?) is closed for remodel we've been told.
I have to agree about opposing slides in living area....very roomy, especially with 2 large dogs that think we travel just for them.
Safe travels.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:54 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Thanks about slide lube. We never have done that as were given mixed opinions about trapping dirt, etc. I'll look online how to lube and let our engineer son figure it out for us! The video I saw looked tricky to find exactly where to put a special lubricant. Do you recall which product you used? Thanks!
Old 08-30-2018, 05:06 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Hopeful1, we don't remember what we used. We finally get to see our rig for the first time today...it was brought in from another dealer. Our dealer only had the 27K and the opposing slides are important to us. I can better answer your question after we see it just in case the slide mechanism has changed in three years. Keep you posted!