Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2006, 10:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hello, just found this forum, looks like a lot of good info here. We are in the market for a class C. From what I have read in other forums, etc., Winnebago is one of the better quality makes. Thus, I am hoping to get some help in deciding which model to look at.

Here's our situation: There is myself, wife and two boys (12 & 10) We have a 21' boat, weighing about 4800lbs (trailer, gas, etc.included). Thus, we need a rig that can handle a class III/5000lb hitch.

Now, I have read in other forums that there is an issue with frame extensions used in class C and weight on the rear axle in the larger units. Thus, we are looking at something in the range of 27'-30'

It seems that Winnebago has a number of models in that range and I would appreciate any info on some of the differences. I like the layout of the Outlook 29K, with the one slide. I figure towing the boat, I should stay away from the added weight over the rear axle of the slide in the bedroom area.

However, that appears to be a 2006 model...so, is the Itasca Impulse 29T the same thing for 2007?

Also, what would I look for in a 2004 or 2005 model that would be similar should I decide to go used?

Finally, I understand all makes have problems, so what are the things I should look out for if I go used?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Don
dmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hello, just found this forum, looks like a lot of good info here. We are in the market for a class C. From what I have read in other forums, etc., Winnebago is one of the better quality makes. Thus, I am hoping to get some help in deciding which model to look at.

Here's our situation: There is myself, wife and two boys (12 & 10) We have a 21' boat, weighing about 4800lbs (trailer, gas, etc.included). Thus, we need a rig that can handle a class III/5000lb hitch.

Now, I have read in other forums that there is an issue with frame extensions used in class C and weight on the rear axle in the larger units. Thus, we are looking at something in the range of 27'-30'

It seems that Winnebago has a number of models in that range and I would appreciate any info on some of the differences. I like the layout of the Outlook 29K, with the one slide. I figure towing the boat, I should stay away from the added weight over the rear axle of the slide in the bedroom area.

However, that appears to be a 2006 model...so, is the Itasca Impulse 29T the same thing for 2007?

Also, what would I look for in a 2004 or 2005 model that would be similar should I decide to go used?

Finally, I understand all makes have problems, so what are the things I should look out for if I go used?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Don
Old 09-10-2006, 07:04 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

For the towing capacity you are looking at, you may be better off with a "Super C". These are built on the Chevy 5500 chassis which can handle the towing as well as the cargo capacity.

I don't think Winnebago has decided to offer one on this chassis.

We had a 1999 Minnie Winnie and it was great. The problems we had with it were typical of larger motorhomes on the E450 chassis. The cab floor pan gets very hot and uncomfortable in the southern climates. This I fixed with additional cab and engine cover insulation. The next problem was handling on the highway. The Ford suspension is not up to controlling such a large body. This was corrected with IPD antiroll bars and Bilstein shock abssorbers. Like driving a different motorhome.

Take any coach for an extended trive to check it out. You will not see any handling problems at this time due to the light load in the coach. We had a 31A, no slide, and loaded for a trip with two adults and a small dog, 1/3 tank of fresh water, empty waste tanks, full fuel and no load on the trailer hitch (tongue weight) were weighed 13,950#, only 1003 below the max rating of 14,050#.

If I were to go back to a motorhome, I would get a small class A. The chassis are better designed to carry the weight.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Ken
Old 09-11-2006, 06:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Ken. I have considered the Super C, but it just isn't within our budget. Thanks for the other info as well

Anyone else? Any input is appreciated.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:54 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

OK, we're going to look at a Winnebago dealer this week and was wondering what everyone's experiences have been with the Winn. Class C.

Are there any issues that others have had that I should look out for when buying?
Old 09-18-2006, 11:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I'm not sure what the towing capacity of the 2007 Outlook is but when I looked at the 2005 Minnie and Minnie Winnie and they were rated to tow 5950 pounds. Check the ccc data in the closet to see what the towing capacity is for the Outlook. I decided against the Class C as the boat I would like to get weighs 6,000 pounds so I ended up with a 2005 Sightseer, class A, which is rated to tow 8,000 pounds but it only has a 5,000 pound receiver so I'm still limited to 5,000 pounds till I get the rear overhang and receiver strengthened to carry a greater load.

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We had a Minnie 24F and absolutely loved it. Unfortunately it was a little tight for the 5 of us (3 kids and my wife and myself). It was very nice to get into small campgrounds and had plenty of power.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:28 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, I'm thinking about staying around a 29', there are only the 4 of us so that should be fine.

Are there any issues that Winnebago has had in the past/present that I should look out for? (ya know, anything I should check on the unit when looking them over) I may look used, since they have a few 2005s on the lot. Thanks again