Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2017, 06:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Itasca Spirit Spare Tire Question

Recently bought a 2015 Itasca/Winnebago Spirit 27Q/P. It is on a Ford E-450 Super Duty chassis. It has no spare tire. Has anyone found a way to have a spare tire other than in the basement/baggage area? TIA
bigskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:09 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to WinnieOwners!

Get yourself a road service policy (CoachNet or Good Sam) and forget the spare tire. If you have a flat, they will bring you a tire (you have to buy it) and repair your motorhome where it is parked. This question gets asked a lot by first time owners until they get used to the way things are done in the motorhome community.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Ours is a 2017, and our spare tire was an 'option'. I would not have bought one without a spare tire. It was a 'must have'.
GoneToTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

In the U.K., anyone who drives on of these vehicles, without at least a spare tyre is a fool. Over here these things are not stock items and have to be ordered, so you would be at the side of the road for some days, if you had a catastrophic tyre failure.
SuperMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:20 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Mike,

You might be right, but unless someone indicates that they are not in the US, the advice remains the same - get a road service policy The tires used on class C motorhomes are pretty common here, BTW, since they are shared with commercial vans and pickup trucks.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Spare Tire in Alaska Concern

I will be taking a trip to Alaska next summer. Folks on Facebook have been adamant that I have at least one spare tire. Their reasoning is I might get to area that has no cellphone coverage and have to wait for a good Samaritan to come by. I went to many websites and made many calls trying to find a rim that will fit my MH. If I had a flat, I might have to wait a long tire to get a matching rim, so I have decided to get a spare and have some piece of mind while I'm traveling. Thanks for everyone's interest in helping.

Bigskyline
2015 Itasca Spirit Silver
28.5' Class C
Old 09-26-2017, 01:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

[QUOTE=luvlabs;3809287]Mike,

You might be right, but unless someone indicates that they are not in the US, the advice remains the same - get a road service policy./QUOTE]

Indeed yes, as well as spare wheel and tyre, I got that as well, through the RAC (Royal Automobile Club).

https://www.rac.co.uk/breakdown-cove..._arrival-exact

There is no way that even with the wheel, I'm going to change it, because it takes two people to even get it out of its locker.
SuperMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We have road side assistance through Geico but I still added a spare tire to our 2016 Itasca 25B when it didn't come with one. We make a round trip from the lower 48 to Alaska almost every year. When road side assistance comes to help, we don't want any delays except to change the tire we already have with the mounted spare we already have. We also bought the hold down bracket parts from Winnebago to mount the spare in the rear storage compartment.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:22 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Alaska is a whole different situation than driving around the lower 48. If you can find a home for it, a spare makes sense. Store it in your toad if you have to.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

gladu2,

Can you give me more information about the hold down bracket parts from Winnebago to mount the spare in the rear storage compartment? I could use that so it is not just floating around back there. Thank you.

Bigskyline
Old 09-27-2017, 09:33 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Unhappy FOLLOWUP: Spare Tire in Alaska Concern

To those who have a MH without a spare, I would like to share a brief story that is actually very long. The used 2015 Itasca Spirit Silver MH I just bought did not come with a spare. I have spent many many hours trying to find a rim to fit the 2014 E-450 Super Duty chassis (yes 2014 not 2015). I finally located two rims. I took them to my usual tire installer, and the rims did not fit. The inside of the rim, that I was guaranteed would fit, rubbed against the calipers. What I learned was that the particular Ford chassis is frequently used as a vehicle for ambulances and EMT folks. Supposedly the only place to get a rim that would fit was from Ford. The price: $416.35 for one rim. My point is, if you do not have a spare, and your planning on having roadside service help, you may be delayed if they do not have the exact rim that you need. Please plan ahead.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:52 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskyline View Post
To those who have a MH without a spare, I would like to share a brief story that is actually very long. The used 2015 Itasca Spirit Silver MH I just bought did not come with a spare. I have spent many many hours trying to find a rim to fit the 2014 E-450 Super Duty chassis (yes 2014 not 2015). I finally located two rims. I took them to my usual tire installer, and the rims did not fit. The inside of the rim, that I was guaranteed would fit, rubbed against the calipers. What I learned was that the particular Ford chassis is frequently used as a vehicle for ambulances and EMT folks. Supposedly the only place to get a rim that would fit was from Ford. The price: $416.35 for one rim. My point is, if you do not have a spare, and your planning on having roadside service help, you may be delayed if they do not have the exact rim that you need. Please plan ahead.
We had the same problem when I bought a rim from Six Robblees, it rubbed the caliper. We ended up buying a used rim for our spare at an Alignment Shop in GreatFalls, Montana for $40 that works and returned the new rim that didn't work to Six Robblees. As far as the hold down bracket parts from Winnebago we got the Winnebago part numbers from the online parts manual for our Model# of motor home. We had the dealer order and install the spare tire hold down bracket parts when they were doing some other work on warranty. You will have to install the Cortana 2D/ 3D viewer to view your online parts manual, just go to Winnebagos web site to find it.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:23 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

gladu2,

Thanks for the tire holder info. Will head to Winnebago parts site to see what I can find.

Best,

Bigskyline
Old 10-05-2017, 04:38 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I wonder if a front tire goes flat could 1 of the duals be moved to the front for a short time. I was looking under my rig and saw a spare that I did not know was there.
1953Tbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:22 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Spare tire question

There is sooo much weight on the dual wheels, I would never consider running on one wheel, unless I had an absolute emergency.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:52 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2005 Itasca 24V 24 foot Class C on the E450 chassis, so it's front and rear tires are not loaded near maximums. But just in case, I keep the rear tires at their maximum 80 lbs. of pressure and the fronts I keep at 65 lbs. of pressure.

Once we had an outside rear tire lose it's pressure (rubber valve stem failed): I drove VERY SLOWLY for around 5 miles on the remaining inner tire (at 80 lbs. pressure) in the rear set with the flat tire. The motorhome felt very "soft and spongy" due to the overloading of the remaining tire and the reduced lateral stability from the remaining solid tire being the inside one - thus narrowing the total stance (axle width) of the tires that were supporting the rear weight of the motorhome.

The remaining severly overloaded good tire holding up the rear end on that side (Michelin) went on serving us well for several years, so apparently the 5 miles of overload driving on it did no permanent harm. Of course the tire that went flat was fine after replacing it's valve stem (... and later on all the other tires) with a metal one.

Unfortunately on RV's with rear dullies, the two tires on each side in the rear do not provide full "emergency travel redundancy for several miles" like the usual lightly loaded dullies do on a lot of pickup trucks. HOWEVER, a motorhome's rear dullies do prevent a catastrophic loss of of control if one tire in the rear should blow when traveling at highway speeds. Single rear tired motorhomes, truck campers, and tow vehicles do not provide any blowout safety redundancy in the rear.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Spare Tire Feedback

Phil G.,

Thanks for this info. Nice to know.

Bigskyline
Old 10-12-2017, 05:33 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

on my recent trip to Labrador (no cell service) I picked up a screw in one of my rear tires. Glad I had a TPMS to let me know I was loosing air, without it I assume I would have ruined that tire and possibly caused the other to fail. I stopped every 10-15 min to refill till I got the 50km to get the tire fixed.

I now have a plug kit with me all the time and a spare.

Tags
itasca