Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

How do you replace the TV antenna coaxial cable?

Greetings RV'ers...

Re: 2004 24' Minnie 324V

Anyone know how to replace the TV coaxial cable to the antenna.

I have a defective TV coaxial cable between the TV cabinet and the antenna head...

I have loosened the cable inside the cabinet and punched out the calk holding the coaxial cable at the base of the antenna where it come through the roof...

It should be free to move. However, I am not able to get it to move no matter how hard I pull on the cable from the inside of the TV cabinet... We are only talking a 30" pull at the most but it will not budge.

Any ideas????

Would greatly appreciate any suggestions....

Slainte, BigMac
BigMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:16 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

It may be stapled somewhere along its path. Is there enough space to just run a new cable?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:05 PM   #3
Ed & Lynn

The general cause of failures in coaxial cables is the connector. Are you certain the connector fittings on both ends are good?
CoastalEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieView View Post
It may be stapled somewhere along its path. Is there enough space to just run a new cable?
WinnieView, Thanks for the input...

I have not tried to run a fish tape yet.

I have no idea how Winnebago routed the several cables, 12vDC and 120v lines from the TV cabinet or how the coax gets to the antenna from there. they are all in a bundle as they leave/enter the TV cabinet. It is quite possible that they are all wire tied at some point making it impossible to pull the coax out.

The only thing I can see is that the coax comes out a 3/4 hole in the base of the antenna mounting bracket and is bent away from the opening where it enters/exits inside of the TV cabinet that is only 30" away?

My really big complaint is that Winnebago used interior grade RG56 coax for what is an exterior coax application. If they had used the right grade coax I would not now have a cracked and defective coax cable.

I am trying to not have to remove the antenna and all that that entails if possible. I will try and push a fish tape through the hole in the base of the antenna as a last resort. Not sure it will push because the roof material is styrofoam with a chanel cut in it. Fish taps don't like styrofoam... BigMac
Old 05-13-2019, 07:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalEd View Post
The general cause of failures in coaxial cables is the connector. Are you certain the connector fittings on both ends are good?
CoatalEd, Thanks for the suggestion.

I did inspect the connectors on both ends and they are good...

It's the interior grade coax used in an exterior application that is the problem..

See my more extensive reply to WinnieView... BigMac
Old 05-18-2019, 07:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

tv coax

good evening BigMac, I am having the exact, same problem on my 04 Vectra.
If I find a solution, I will let you know. I continue to try tomorrow. good luck.
DanGlo52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I just went thru the same problem, and had to pull the base plate off to be able to pull the cable up enough to replace the connector, it just won't come thru the small hole.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieView View Post
Have A 2004 Brave with the antenna signal boost. On ours the coax cable goes to the signal boost circuit board about 1 foot from the antenna base plate towards the front. From the circuit board it then goes to the coaxselection box above the passenger seat. There were no staples or ties from the circuit board to the front selection box
SteveNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:13 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problem w/my 2007 Aspect. My buddy and I finally quit trying to pull the old coax out; we drilled a new hole through the roof and ran new coax to the t.v. and problem solved! Yes, we caulked the new hole and managed to hide the coax inside the rig. When your rig gets so old, you take more drastic steps, so say I.
Siebrands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:49 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I would have zero hope of running a new cable in the existing channel. I'd just get the proper exterior grade of cable and drill a new hole new the TV. As for as patching the roof hole I like using a cable entry plate like: Winegard CE 4000 cable entry plate. This is a four cable version, but its in also made in single and double cable versions. Make sure you face the opening in the plate towards the rear and use plenty of lap sealant to cover the edges and the cable openings. On the inside you can cover the cable with some plastic surface mount cable channels. These can be painted to match interior colors if desired. Make sure you use weather proof coax connectors at least on the roof. These are usually a compression type connector, very easy to get a perfect end.

Good to go....

rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:47 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

You can contact Winnebago and they may be able to email you a drawing of the roof structure, showing the routing of the cable. They did on mine. I found that mine was taped to other cables. This was not apparent on the drawing, but would be logical as I had found other cable bundles taped together. Ended up running a fish tape to pull a new cable. Left the original cut off and left it there.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:26 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I assume you had to remove the antenna base to see all that... I don't see any other way at this point...
Old 05-23-2019, 11:31 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the input... I have not tried the fish tape yet. Just got back from a trip... I will contact Winnebago for help also...
Old 05-23-2019, 11:35 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the input... Not sure I want to start drilling holes in my roof just yet... I will try all other replacement options first...
Old 05-23-2019, 11:42 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Roget that... Looks like the base plate will have to come off to do any replacement...
Old 05-23-2019, 11:43 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Any solution yet..?
Old 05-24-2019, 03:51 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

If I had to do it again, I would use a diegrinder, and make the hole bigger, in the plate.When I did mine, the fiberglass and wood sheathing pulled up, what a mess. The caulk they used at the factory really grew together after 9 years.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:17 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

tv coax

OK, so here is how I was able to resolve the coax cable issue.
I tried to pull it up...won't go. From inside, tried to pull it down...won't go.
I pulled it up enough on the roof to have good cable (not exposed to sun); I cut it off there and installed a terminal. added a straight line coupling and bought a 6 ft length of new coax. I attached the new coax to the antenna, ran it down the antenna and connected it to the coupling. All old sun bleached coax is gone and the signal is good.
I could not find a rubber boot for use at the antenna, so I had to re-use the old one by slowly stretching it over the terminal to fit the new coax (it was pre terminated at both ends). if you are making your own, no problem to put the boot on before terminating. I also re-used the original boot at the antenna base. Now, I need to cover the connection with Eternabond or some other suitable waterproofing.
Not the best solution.....but McIver approved. good luck
DanGlo52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, antenna, replace